About The CarMax Foundation
Mission Statement: The CarMax Foundation promotes education, youth leadership, and wellness in the communities where our Associates live and work.
The CarMax Foundation is committed to:
- Funding programs that show measurable results and benefits to the community
- Supporting organizations that are fiscally responsible, transparent, and well-managed
- Providing superior customer service
- Engaging CarMax Associates in our philanthropic efforts
- Volunteer Team-Builders allow Associates to make valuable hands-on contributions to worthy causes in their local communities. Non-profits hosting CarMax volunteer teams are then eligible for a grant from The CarMax Foundation. In 2009, approximately 150 volunteer team-builders were organized across the country.
- The Matching Gifts Program helps Associates and eligible family members stretch their gifts of time and money to their favorite non-profit organizations. Associates can match any combination of their monetary donations and volunteer hours, up to $10,000 a year.
- Donation drives allow CarMax locations to contribute to their local communities in special ways. Each location has the opportunity to host up to three drives per year. Examples of donations include food, blood, or clothing drives.
- Every June, The Foundation celebrates CarMax Cares Month. Throughout the month, Volunteer Team-Builder grants are doubled to $1,000 for eligible organizations. Last June, nearly 70 volunteer teams completed projects across the country.
- Eligible programs promote educational opportunities for youth and/or families.
- Educational grants have been awarded for after school programs, literacy programs, homework assistance programs, art programs, parent educational support programs, and programs dealing with cultural, environmental, and technical education.
- Grants for educational programs are awarded through The CarMax Foundation’s Regional Giving Program and Richmond Giving Program.
- Youth leadership grants have been awarded for mentoring programs, teen development programs, youth leadership camps, and civic awareness programs.
- Grants for youth leadership programs are awarded through The CarMax Foundation’s Regional Giving Program and Richmond Giving Program .
- Wellness grants have been awarded for healthy living, nutrition, prevention, and physical activity programs.
- Grants for wellness programs are awarded through The CarMax Foundation’s Regional Giving Program and Richmond Giving Program .
Our Board of Directors
The Board of Directors of The CarMax Foundation comprises eight senior managers of CarMax Auto Superstores, Inc. Our Board meets quarterly in the months of March, June, September, and December, to carefully review grant proposals.