They may not be the most glamorous rides out there, but hatchbacks and wagons have a couple of things going for them. Many offer lots of cargo room in relatively compact footprints. Of particular interest to today's cash-strapped shoppers, though, is the fact that many of these vehicles come at the right price. If you're looking for a new car with a price tag that won't drop-kick your pocketbook, know that you'll find a wide array of budget-oriented choices in this segment.
The vehicles shown below are the 10 least expensive 2009 hatchbacks and wagons on the market. Rankings are based on MSRP, excluding destination charges. Prices listed are those of base models, so keep in mind that you may have to pony up a little extra to get the amenities you want. Each model was allowed only one appearance on the list.
You'll find that some of these budget hatchbacks and wagons bring with them rebates and incentives, offering more opportunities to save. Take a look at each economy car's True Market Value® before deciding which to buy.
- 2009 Hyundai Accent GS Hatchback — $9,970
- 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LS Hatchback — $11,965
- 2009 Smart Fortwo Pure Hatchback — $11,990
- 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback — $12,205
- 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S Hatchback — $13,110
- 2009 Kia Rio 5 LX Wagon — $13,325
- 2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback — $14,335
- 2009 Honda Fit Hatchback — $14,550
- 2009 Scion xD Hatchback — $14,650
- 2009 Scion xB Hatchback — $15,750
Copyright Edmunds.com, Inc. All rights reserved. First published on www.edmunds.com and excerpted with permission. http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/140209/article.html