Your offer begins with our expertise
Any dealer can estimate used car values, but few have appraisers who:
- undergo special training
- average 5 years on the job
- average 5,000 vehicles appraised
We've appraised over 16 million vehicles in all.
How we determine your offer in our stores
- Simply bring your car to CarMax—no appointment needed.
- Our car appraisers will put your car through a detailed evaluation. The appraisal can take as little as 30 minutes and includes:
- a test drive
- a thorough inspection that takes into account
- year, mileage, make, and model
- condition inside and out
- aftermarket parts and/or modifications
- options and features
- frame or flood damage
- checking your vehicle's history report
- comparing your vehicle against current market conditions, such as national sales trends and auction data
- After all of the information has been analyzed, you'll be presented with a free written offer good for seven (7) days at any CarMax location.
- Complete the sale or think it over—after it's appraised, selling your car to us can take as little as 20 minutes and you can walk away with payment in the form of a bank draft in hand.
Your offer—it's not just an estimate
Unlike some online estimators that provide you with a ballpark figure or dealers that only buy certain cars, a CarMax appraisal is more than an estimate—it's an actual offer of payment.
Before you visit, you may want to see:
What to bring with you.
Sell Us Your Car FAQs.