A three-row dynamo!
The 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid comes with a suite of features and the style to turn heads. Newly redesigned for the 2019 model year, the Highlander takes things up a notch by offering an upgraded hybrid version of this beloved vehicle. The Highlander Hybrid is a strong competitor in the hybrid SUV market, with additional standard driver-assistance features and interior amenities. With a sporty 306 net horsepower and instant torque, the 2019 Highlander Hybrid will make your drive happier and more comfortable than ever.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2019 Highlander Hybrid adds the benefit of an EPA-estimated 28 mpg highway and 30 mpg city.1
- At every trim level, the Highlander Hybrid comes with a 3.5L V6 engine, paired to two magnet synchronous motors.
- With the V6 engine, overall towing capacity is an estimated 3,500 pounds for each trim of the 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid when properly equipped.2
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Generous Standard Tech Features
The 2019 Highlander includes a suite of driver assistance features as standard, which includes automatic high beams, lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and the pre-collision system (which includes a rearview camera and forward-collision detection with automatic emergency braking). The Limited Platinum trim offers the option to add a 360-degree camera to the mix for even more insight.
2. V6 engine + 2 electric motors + AWD = winner
Every trim level in the 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid includes a powerful 3.5L V6 engine, paired to two magnet synchronous motors that drive the front and rear wheels. In the Hybrid, Electronic On-Demand AWD system with intelligence (AWD-i) is designed to deliver traction to the rear wheels when you need it, giving you more confidence in tricky road conditions.
3. Power sources everywhere you look
The 2019 Highlander Hybrid includes a number of tech connections throughout the vehicle. There are two 12V auxiliary power outlets (one front and one center console) and a total of five USB ports (three up front and two in the second row). All of these digital helpers are standard at every trim level. Each passenger will be happy to have their own power source.
4. Comfort is king
The 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid includes versatile seating options, depending on the configuration you choose. In the second row, opt for captain's chairs to seat seven instead of eight, and you can even have heated second-row chairs with the Platinum package added to the Limited grade.
Need room for coffee, water, and sports drinks while you're on the go? The 2019 Highlander Hybrid includes eight cup holders and four bottle holders. Front- and second-row reading lights makes it easy to navigate the interior, even at night. You might even want the optional rear-seat Blu-ray Disc™ entertainment system with 9-inch display, RCA jacks, remote, and two wireless headphones, all of which are available on the XLE and Limited trims.
5. Three-zone automatic climate control with air filter
This includes a separate second-row control panel and individual temperature settings for the driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers, and second- and third-row vents. Whether you're driving to your Zumba class at the gym in the middle of the winter or heading to the pool in the summer, you'll get exactly the climate setting you want and so will your passengers in your 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
What You Need to Know
2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Trims
- 3.5L V6 engine
- Total of five USB ports—three in the front row and two in the second row
- Electronically-controlled Continuously Variable Transmission (ECVT)
- Electronic On-Demand AWD with intelligence (AWD-i)
- Windshield wiper de-icer
- 4.2-inch color LCD Multi-Information Display (MID) with turn-by-turn navigation
- Leather-trimmed seats with heated front seats
- Second-row retractable window sunshades
- Second-row 120V auxiliary AC power outlet
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Rear parking assist sonar
- Seating for up to seven
- Premium JBL® Audio with integrated navigation
- Rear cargo area tonneau cover
- Perforated heated and ventilated leather-trimmed front seats with memory function on the driver seat
- Panoramic moonroof
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated second-row captain's chairs (optional)
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Bird's Eye View Camera with Perimeter Scan
- Front and rear parking assist sonar
The 2019 Toyota Highlander offers 10 interior upholstery options, and they are trim-specific:
- LE: Ash Fabric or Black Fabric
- LE Plus: Ash Fabric and Softex® or Black Fabric and Softex®
- XLE: Almond Leather or Black Leather
- SE: Black Leather
- Limited: Ash Perforated Leather, Black Perforated Leather, or Saddle Tan Perforated Leather
- Limited Platinum: Almond Perforated Leather or Saddle Tan Perforated Leather
- Alumina Jade Metallic
- Blizzard Pearl Metallic
- Celestial Silver Metallic
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Ooh La La Rouge Mica
- Predawn Gray Mica
- Salsa Red Pearl
- Shoreline Blue Pearl
- Toasted Walnut Pearl
The 2019 Subaru Ascent delivers comfort and plenty of power with a smooth ride and sporty handling. Cargo space is plentiful and it seats up to eight passengers; you can tell Subaru paid ample attention to the design and space of each row. With nearly 32 inches of legroom in the third row, the back does not feel like a squeeze. The 2019 Ascent in the Premium, Limited, and Touring trims (with a 2.4L four-cylinder engine) can tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped.2You'll also enjoy all-wheel-drive which is standard across all trims.
In 2019, the Honda Pilot had a minor facelift on the outside and a major addition with the inclusion of the Honda Sensing Suite on all trim levels. This intelligent system of driver-assistance technologies includes a collision mitigation braking system, forward-collision warning, active lane-keeping assist, road-departure mitigation, and adaptive cruise control. The unibody Pilot is designed to provide handling that feels more like a car than an SUV, yet it can still handle light-duty off-road driving. Honda also makes it easy for you to customize the interior with one-touch slide-and-fold second-row seats.
The Toyota RAV4 was fully redesigned in 2019 and the 2.5L Hybrid version seats five in a comfortable and quiet cabin and is estimated to achieve a combined 41 mpg on the highway—and that's with the standard all-wheel drive.1 Available in three trims—Limited, Adventure, and XSE—each 2019 RAV4 also includes three drive modes (ECO, Sport, and Normal). The 2019 RAV4 Hybrid comes with either a seven- or eight-inch infotainment display (the 2018 has 6.1- or seven-inch options), and Apple CarPlay®. The rugged RAV4 Hybrid is a fine match for your active lifestyle and can handle all the fun along the way.
The Bottom Line
The 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid is chock-full of features and comfort that will please everyone in your household and more. With plenty of interior room to handle people, pets, and cargo, this SUV is a comfortable and quiet ride. Your adventure awaits, and the Highlander Hybrid is ready to take you there.
Looking to learn more about the 2019 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and similar SUVs? Check out these related resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities