A full-size SUV built for fun.
When you're seeking passenger comfort, ample space for cargo, and the ability to go adventuring off-road, the 2020 Ford Expedition can handle your needs. This powerful, full-size SUV offers a spacious cabin that seats eight, modern technology must-haves, and a robust twin-turbocharged EcoBoost® V6 engine.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Ford Expeditions on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Ford Expedition with similar features.
Below are average prices of prior model year Ford Expeditions.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Ford Expedition review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Expedition with a 4WD, V6 3.5L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.2
- Standard body-length trims offer 104.6 cubic feet of interior cargo space when the second and third rows are folded.
- MAX extended body-length trims offer 121.5 cubic feet of interior cargo space when the second and third rows are folded.
- Towing capacity is an estimated 9,300 lbs. with the 3.5L V6 engine and the Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package, when properly equipped.3
- Extended-length MAX trims offer an estimated 9,000 lbs. of towing capacity with the V6 engine, when properly equipped.3
- Standard seating accommodates eight passengers.
- With the optional second-row captain's chairs (replacing bench-style seating), the SUV accommodates seven passengers.
- Standard twin-turbocharged EcoBoost 3.6L V6 with 375 horsepower (400 horsepower on Platinum trim)
- Driver-assistance features
- Eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- 4G LTE mobile hotspot for up to 10 devices4
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capability
- Rear-seat entertainment system (available on Limited, King Ranch®, and Platinum trims)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Impressive Towing Capacity
Whether it's for work or pleasure, the 2020 Ford Expedition can tow a flatbed trailer, enclosed trailer, horse trailer, or camper up to an estimated 9,300 lbs. with the V6 engine, when properly equipped.3 That means it's a great choice whether you have horses, an ATV, or a camper.
2. Extra Passenger Room
With the ability to seat up to eight passengers, the 2020 Ford Expedition will quickly become the go-to driver for family outings and road trips with friends. The second-row seats feature LATCH connectors for child seats—or you can bring the dog and his or her kennel! With two rows of foldable seating, there's room for the whole gang in this full-size SUV.
3. Driver-Assistance Features
Whether it's you or a new-to-the-road teen driver behind the wheel, your driving confidence will get a boost with the lane-keeping system, pre-collision automatic braking, cross-traffic alert feature, and blind-spot detection system on the 2020 Ford Expedition. This vehicle also engages a rearview camera when you shift into reverse, designed to make it easier to back into parking spots or maneuver a trailer.
4. Road-Trip Ready
The 2020 Ford Expedition offers second- and third-row folding seats to increase cargo space for weekend getaways. So whether you're hauling camping gear or snowboards, there's plenty of room for extras. Staying overnight in the wilderness? This full-size SUV can pull a camper, too (up to an estimated 9,300 lbs. with the V6 engine, when properly equipped)!3 If you transport cargo daily or take frequent road trips, consider the optional hands-free foot-activated power liftgate.
5. Loaded with Tech
The 2020 Ford Expedition comes standard with Ford's Sync® 3 multimedia system, which includes a touchscreen-operated system and connectivity to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Your connected passengers will love the optional wireless-device charging station, which makes life easier by keeping the cabin free of extra cords.
What You Need to Know
Available Trims 2020 Ford Expedition:
- XLT: Includes RWD or 4WD options, 18-inch wheels, Wi-Fi hotspot4, voice-recognition entertainment system, crash alert system, satellite radio, stereo system with six speakers, traction control, rearview camera, adaptive cruise control, and more.
- XLT MAX: Same as XLT trim, but with an extended-length body style (over nine inches longer).
- Limited: Includes 20-inch wheels, HD Radio™, Bang & Olufsen sound system, rain-sensing front wipers, parking-assist system, leather-trimmed seats, and more.
- Limited MAX: Same as Limited, but with an extended-length body style.
- King Ranch: Includes 22-inch wheels, leather seats, wireless device charging, post-crash alert system, hill start/descent assist feature, reverse sensing system, and more.
- King Ranch MAX: Same as King Ranch, but with an extended-length body style.
- Platinum: Includes satin-aluminum exterior trim, power running boards, upgraded leather seats, wood trim interior, power-folding second- and third-row seats, active noise control, additional driver-assistance features, and more.
- Platinum MAX: Same as Platinum, but with an extended-length body style.
Available Colors 2020 Ford Expedition:
- Agate Black
- Burgundy Velvet
- Desert Gold
- Iconic Silver (Not available on Platinum trims)
- Oxford White (Not available on Platinum trims)
- Rapid Red
- Star White
Interior 2020 Ford Expedition:
- Power-folding third-row seats
- 15 cupholders
- Eight-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Voice-activated infotainment system
Average CarMax Prices 2020 Ford Expedition:
The 2020 Ford Expedition is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Ford Expedition.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Ford Expedition, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Ford Expedition5
The 2020 Ford Expedition is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Ford Expeditions with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Ford Expedition.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $860.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Ford Expedition
The 2020 Ford Expedition received overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Ford Expedition, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
If a midsize SUV that seats five sounds perfect, consider the 2019 Ford Edge. You'll enjoy 39.2 cubic feet of storage behind the second-row seats, and 73.4 cubic feet of total space when you fold them down—perfect for a dog kennel or outdoor sports gear. Music lovers will enjoy the six-speaker stereo system and satellite radio. 2019 models have these standard features:
- Four-cylinder and V6 engine options
- Wi-Fi hotspot capability4
- USB port
- Bluetooth® for audio and phone connectivity
Need third-row seating? The 2019 Ford Explorer can comfortably fit up to seven passengers. This upscale SUV also boasts a powerful but quiet twin-turbo V6 engine, and you can choose from front- or all-wheel drive to complement your daily driving environment. In the cabin of 2017-2019 models, you'll find Bluetooth connectivity, a USB port, and a voice-activated command system. 2019 models have these standard features:
- Touchscreen infotainment system
- 18-inch wheels
- Rearview camera
- Power-adjustable driver seat
With seating for five to seven passengers, the 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe is available in two-row or three-row configurations to best fit your family's needs. You'll find a 185-horsepower four-cylinder engine under the hood of this crossover SUV. In the cabin, enjoy 35.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats in a two-row setup. Three-row vehicles offer 13.5 cubic feet of storage space in the rear. 2018 models have these standard features:
- Five-inch touchscreen display
- Bluetooth for audio and phone connectivity
- USB port
- Rearview camera
Redesigned for 2018, the Chevrolet Equinox offers seating for five. This ride is a top choice for couples; families with young children; and anyone seeking a light, compact SUV. Behind the backseat you'll find approximately 30 cubic feet of cargo room to haul anything your heart desires. Choose from 4WD or AWD and three engine options: two gasoline and one diesel. 2018-2019 models have these standard features:
- Touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability
- Turbo 1.5L four-cylinder engine
- Folding rear seats
The Bottom Line
If you're in the market for a luxury SUV with abundant seating, plenty of cargo space, tons of in-cabin technology, and comfortable road handling, the 2020 Ford Expedition might be just the vehicle for you.
Are you ready to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices between August 1, 2018 and January 31, 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
3Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
5RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.