Tackle everyday tasks and tough terrain.
The world became acquainted with Ford's first post-war truck, the F-series, in 1948. The F-150 was introduced a couple of decades later in 1975, and now in its impressive thirteenth generation, the F-150 continues to build on that heritage. You don't have to be a gambler to know the Ford F-150 is always a strong bet.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Ford F-150s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Ford F-150 review:
Key Specs & Features
The F-150's EcoBoost V6 engine performs beautifully, with good fuel-economy figures in the full-size pickup category.
- When equipped with the 2.7L turbocharged V6 and 2WD, the 2020 Ford F-150 delivers an EPA-estimated 22 mpg combined.1
- When equipped with 4WD, the 2020 F-150 gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.1
- The 3.0L turbocharged V6 diesel offers an EPA-estimated 25 mpg combined with 2WD or 24 mpg combined with 4WD.1
How much space do you need for your truck? The 2020 Ford F-150's cargo capacity is available in a myriad of options.
- The five-foot-five-inch box offers a spacious 52.8 cubic feet.
- The next largest, at six-and-a-half feet, gives you 62.3 cubic feet.
- At the top of the range, the F-150 with an eight-foot bed brings the largest capacity with 77.4 cubic feet.
Whether you're towing a camper with your family or raw materials for construction, the Ford F-150 has a flavor for you.
- Maximum towing capacity for the 2020 Ford F-150 is an estimated 13,200 lbs. with the available 3.5L EcoBoost V6 when properly equipped.2
- Even the base engine, the 3.3L V6, is matched with an optional tow/haul mode and can tow an estimated 9,500 lbs. in the 4x2 configuration when properly equipped.2
The 2020 Ford F-150 can seat up to six in the SuperCab and SuperCrew models, and up to three in the Regular Cab.
- The base engine is a 3.3L V6 producing 290 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque.
- A 2.7L turbocharged V6 is also available with 325 horses and 400 lb-ft of torque.
- Next in line is a 3.5L turbocharged V6 generating 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque and paired with a ten-speed automatic transmission.
- Want to pump it up? The same 3.5L V6 is offered in the Limited and Raptor trims, but you can expect an output of 450 hp and 510 lb-ft of torque.
- The 5.0L V8 option gives 395 hp and 400 lb-ft.
- Finally, the 3.0L diesel engine generates 250 hp and 440 lb-ft of torque and is mated to a meaty ten-speed automatic.
- A 2.3-inch productivity screen is standard on the XL, 4.2-inch screen on the XLT and Raptor, and an eight-inch screen for the Lariat and King Ranch trims.
- A B&O™ Sound System by Bang & Olufsen available on Lariat and above trims.
- Ford's suite of advanced driver-assist features, Co-Pilot360™, is included as standard on Lariat and higher trim levels.
- The 101A package adds power accessories, a USB port, and Bluetooth® to the base XL model.
- Passive anti-theft system comes standard.
- Available cruise control is optional on the base XL trim and standard on all other trims.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Towing Technology
If you find it difficult to back up a trailer, Ford has you covered. The available Pro Trailer Backup Assist™ on the 2020 Ford F-150 smooths out the process for you, giving you the confidence to tow and park with a simple twist of a knob when properly equipped. You'll find that towing is much easier when you don't have to calculate angles and geometry like a college professor; just rotate the knob to the left to go left and right to go right. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
2. All the Storage You Need
When you have a truck, you need lots of places to store your belongings within the cab. The F-150 provides the option for a fully-flat load floor on SuperCab and SuperCrew models, which gives you the opportunity to store items under the seats. You may also utilize the door-trim panel bins and glove box and you can even fit a tablet or laptop in the available center console.
3. Impressive Towing and Payload Capacities
Truck owners expect to have the capability to tow and haul a number ofpeople and a trailer behind them, and the Ford F-150 is fully prepared to deliver on those expectations. Start with a base model XL and you'll be able to tow an estimated 7,700 lbs. or an estimated 1,990 lbs. of payload when properly equipped.2 If you need more, opt for a model with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine for an astounding estimated 13,200 lbs. of towing capacity and an estimated 3,270 lbs. of payload when properly equipped.2 Bring on the campers, boats, and heavy equipment—the 2020 Ford F-150 can handle it.
4. Lots of Options to Choose From
The 2020 Ford F-150 can come with any number of options packages, upgrading your trucks appearance and features, like the Chrome Appearance package, the Special Edition package, the Sport Appearance package, the Black Appearance package, and the Snow Plow Prep package. With so many options to choose from, it's clear that the 2020 Ford F-150 is configurable to create the truck of your dreams.
5. This truck is a connectivity champ
Let's say you like tailgating at local sports events. Park your Ford F-150, open the tailgate and set up your picnic. Need some tunes? You can connect your device via the available in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot, powered by AT&T, for an additional service fee.4 With the ability to connect up to ten devices at once, there won't be any fighting about who's using all the bandwidth. You can even access the hotspot from up to 50 feet outside the vehicle. The Wi-Fi on the F-150 gives you more freedom to move around, just like the truck itself.
What You Need to Know
2020 Ford F-150 Available Trims
XL: Includes sway control, pre-wired trailer connections, rearview camera, cloth 40/20/40-split bench seat, and a four-speaker audio system.
XLT: Adds chrome grille and bumpers, front-seat lumbar adjustments, eight-inch touchscreen, Android Auto™, Apple Carplay®, available remote keyless entry system, carpet flooring, and cruise control.
Lariat: Includes keyless entry and ignition, leather seats, woodgrain trim, seven-speaker audio system, power-adjustable pedals, and more.
King Ranch: Features the distinctive King Ranch style, with unique embossed leather seats, available remote start and tailgate release, a premium ten-speaker audio system, and more.
Platinum: Builds on the Lariat trim, adding rain-sensing windshield wipers, power running boards, wood and aluminum interior trim, and contoured bucket seats.
Limited: At the top of the line, the Limited trim adds the high-output 3.5L EcoBoost V6 engine, active park assist, adaptive cruise control, and more.
Raptor: Ford's wildly popular off-road machine starts with a reinforced frame, upgraded suspension, Fox struts, RECARO front sport bucket seats, skid plates, and many more off-road bonus features.
2020 Ford F-150 Available Colors
- Abyss Gray
- Agate Black
- Blue Jeans
- Iconic Silver
- Lead Foot Gray (not available on base model)
- Magma Red (not available on base model)
- Magnetic Metallic
- Oxford White
- Race Red
- Rapid Red Metallic
- Silver Spruce
- Stone Gray Metallic
- Velocity Blue Metallic
2020 Ford F-150 Interior
- Cargo space specs: the five-foot-five-inch box offers a spacious 52.8 cubic feet. The next largest, at six-and-a-half feet, gives you 62.3 cubic feet of space. At the top of the range, the F-150 with an eight-foot bed brings the largest capacity with 77.4 cubic feet.
- Seating capacity: up to three in Regular Cab models and up to six in SuperCab and CrewCab models.
- Intermittent windshield wipers are standard on all trims.
- Rearview camera with dynamic hitch assist comes standard starting with the base model.
Ford F-150 Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Ford F-150 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Ford F-150, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Ford F-1504
The 2020 Ford F-150 is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Ford F-150s with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Ford F-150.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $788.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Ford F-150
The 2020 Ford F-150 received an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Ford F-150, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Attractive styling, generous driver-assist features, and a number of trim choices are the hallmarks of Toyota's full-size truck. The Toyota Tundra offers powerful engine options, including a standard 159-hp 2.7L four-cylinder engine. A more powerful 278-hp 3.5L V6 is available with the TRD Sport trim and above. Technology is at the forefront of the Tundra, and the 2019 model year includes a blind-spot monitoring system, lane-departure warning, and an integrated backup camera. The following features are standard on the 2019 Tundra:
- Halogen headlights
- 4.2-inch driver information display
- Dynamic radar cruise control system
- Six-speaker audio system with 6.1-inch touchscreen
Rugged and versatile, the RAM 1500 is an all-around terrific full-size pickup truck. The RAM 1500 aims to please, whether you're seeking a vehicle to hold your crew or your family. For model years 2017–2019, the RAM 1500 is offered in two different cab configurations: the quad cab and crew cab. This truck is also available in two bed sizes: a standard six-foot-four-inch bed and a shorter, optional five-foot-seven-inch bed. A 3.6L V6 engine at 305 hp is standard across all trim levels, and a larger and more powerful 5.7L V8 is also optional. For model year 2019, these features are standard on the RAM 1500:
- Five-inch touchscreen interface
- Vinyl flooring and upholstery
- Front and rear stabilizer bars
- Folding rear bench seat
If you're on the hunt for a pickup truck that is both powerful and sleek, the Chevrolet Silverado is a great choice. With six drivetrain options and eight trim levels, the Silverado brings excellence along for the ride. Standard features of the Chevrolet Silverado from model year 2019 include:
- Steel wheels
- Seven-inch touchscreen
- Apple Carplay and Android Auto
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Ford F-150 is a workhorse designed to not only get the job done, whatever that job is, but to do it in style. The F-150 is a stellar example of fine engineering, versatile design, and a nod to real passenger comfort.
Looking to learn more about the Ford F-150 and similar vehicles? Take a look at these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.