A midsize SUV full of pulling power.
The modern midsize SUV has to be the best of both worlds. Comfortable, spacious, and effortless to drive on the road while also able to tackle rough terrain when the drive takes you off-road. Looking for a vehicle that handles all of the above? The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee might be just what you want.
Regardless of whether you're a traveler looking for an SUV to power your next adventure or a family who needs a car that handles shopping trips, school runs, and family holidays effortlessly, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is one to watch.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokees on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Jeep Grand Cherokee with similar features.
Below are average prices for prior model years of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee review:
Key Specs & Features
- When equipped with the base 3.6L engine and eight-speed automatic transmission, and in 2WD form, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee can achieve an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined (19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway).2
- Inside, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee offers 105 cubic feet of passenger volume.
- In the back, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee provides a spacious 36.3 cubic feet of cargo volume.
- Additionally, the rear bench seats can fold down, expanding the cargo volume up to 54.7 cubic feet.
- The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee has an estimated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. with the 3.6L V6 engine and rear-wheel drive when properly equipped.3
- When equipped with the 5.7L V8 engine, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee improves to an estimated maximum towing capacity of 7,200 lbs. when properly equipped.3
- Four doors, five seats
- The standard engine on the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a 3.6L V6, producing 295 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque.
- An optional 5.7L V8 engine is available, outputting 360 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque.
- On the SRT trim, you get a 6.4L V8 engine, capable of 475 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque.
- With the top-of-the-range Trackhawk trim, you'll find a 6.2L supercharged V8 engine, the same one found in Dodge Chargers and Challenger Hellcats. It packs a formidable 707 hp and 645 lb-ft of torque.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Six-speaker sound system with a seven-inch touchscreen display
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ support
- Rear parking sensors
- Power-adjustable and heated front seats (Limited trim upwards)
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons To Buy
1. Strong Engine Selection
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a strong selection of powerplants, including one V6 and three different V8 variants, all ready to meet whatever requirements you might have. The base 3.6L V6 is good for 295 hp and the 5.7L V8 is capable of 360 hp. Both handle a mix of off and on-road driving just fine. Meanwhile, the top two engines—the 6.4L V8 engine punching out 475 hp and the 6.2L supercharged V8 packing an epic 707 hp—are focused on maximum performance, and both deliver it in spades.
2. Lots Of Pulling Power
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a real ace up its sleeve with its excellent towing capacity. While the top V8 engines available boast high horsepower outputs and performance figures, all engines across the range are good for potent pulling power. The base 3.6L V6 engine is capable of an estimated towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. when properly equipped and the 5.7L V8 engine models are capable of an estimated max towing capacity of 7,200 lbs. when properly equipped.3 For those times when you need to haul extra cargo on a trailer or take a caravan with you for a weekend adventure, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is more than up to the job.
3. Plenty of Space Inside
For the most part, though, you won't need any extra space in a trailer to store your cargo and luggage for those long trips. The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is full of room for both passengers and luggage. It offers a total of 105 cubic feet of passenger volume across the front two seats and rear bench seat, and in standard configuration, it offers 36.3 cubic feet of luggage volume. Plenty of room for groceries, but what if you need a little extra? No problem, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee features a 60/40-split-folding rear bench seat for maximum convenience, and when fully folded down, luggage volume goes up to 54.7 cubic feet.
4. Off-Road Ability
As adept as the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is on the road, it's over rough terrain that it really comes to life. The Trailhawk trim configuration is geared specifically for off-road driving and features standard four-wheel drive with low-range gearing, off-road tires, electronic limited-slip differential, and Quadra-Lift adjustable air suspension. All of these features—and more—help make the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee an absolute blast to drive when the going gets tough.
5. Plenty of Features Inside
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee's extensive feature list really gives you the maximum value for money, especially when it comes to the interior. On the base Laredo trim, you get dual-zone automatic climate control, rear parking sensors, a seven-inch touchscreen, and a six-speaker sound system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support. Just one step up with the Limited trim and you get a powered liftgate, leather seats, heated front seats and steering wheel, and an uprated 8.4-inch touchscreen display. The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a lot to offer for both driver convenience and comfort, even on the base trim levels.
What You Need to Know
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Available Trims
- Laredo: Includes rear parking sensors, a six-speaker sound system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, dual-zone climate control, and more.
- Limited: Includes a power liftgate, remote start, heated front and rear seats and steering wheel, leather seats, 8.4-inch touchscreen, and more.
- Trailhawk: This off-road themed trim includes off-road tires, four-wheel drive, adaptive air suspension, an electronic rear differential, and more.
- Overland: This has a similar feature list to the Trailhawk but without several of the more specific off-road upgrades.
- Summit: Includes a 19-speaker Harman Kardon® sound system, a self-parking system, enhanced leather upholstery, noise-canceling technology, and more.
- SRT: Includes a specialized all-wheel-drive system, sport-tuned adaptive suspension, a sport body kit, a limited-slip rear differential, and more.
- Trackhawk: The top performance package features 20-inch wheels with high-performance tires, Brembo brakes, enhanced adaptive suspension, and more.
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Available Colors
- Billet Silver
- Bright White
- Diamond Black
- Granite Crystal
- Green Metallic (Trailhawk, SRT, and Trackhawk models only)
- Ivory Pearl Tri-Coat
- Redline 2 (Trailhawk, SRT, and Trackhawk models only)
- Skate Blue
- Sting Grey (Trailhawk, SRT, and Trackhawk models only)
- Velvet Red
- Walnut Brown
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Interior
- 105 cubic feet of passenger volume
- 36.3 cubic feet of luggage volume with up to 54.7 cubic feet of luggage space with the rear seats folded down
- Five seats: two front seats and a rear bench seat with 60/40-split-folding capability
- Six-speaker sound system, seven-inch touchscreen, dual-zone automatic climate control, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee4
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Jeep Grand Cherokees with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $666.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee received an overall 5/5 for 4WD models and 4/5 for 2WD models by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Jeep Cherokee is a crossover SUV that offers a comfortable ride on the road but is more than at home off-road too. All second-generation (2014 to present) models also include an off-road-focused Trailhawk trim. As part of the second generation of Cherokee models introduced in 2014, 2017–2019 Jeep Cherokees offer a selection of potent engines: a 2.4L four-cylinder engine packing 180 hp, a 3.2L V6 engine outputting 271 hp, and on 2019 models only, an additional 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 270 hp. Additionally, you get the following features on all 2017–2019 models as standard:
- 17-inch wheels
- A rearview camera (2018–2019 models)
- 60/40-split-folding rear seat
- A six-speaker sound system with a USB port
First introduced in 2015, the Renegade looks to combine all the off-road capabilities of larger Jeep models into a compact package. With the Trailhawk trim (all model years) you get a rugged, off-road 4x4 in a package that's practical for daily driving too. The 2019 Renegade offers two different drivetrain configurations: front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, as well as two different engines: a 2.4L four-cylinder engine producing 180 hp and a 1.3L turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 177 hp. As a bonus, the 2019 Renegade with the 1.3L turbocharged engine is capable of an EPA-estimated 27 mpg combined.2 So if you're on the market for an SUV that's small and practical, the Renegade is a great pick.
Additionally, standard features on 2017–2019 models include:
- Keyless entry (remote locking on 2018 models)
- Six-speaker sound system with USB port (four-speaker sound system with auxiliary jack on 2017 models)
- 16-inch wheels
- 60/40-split-folding rear seat
- Rearview camera (2018–2019 models only)
In the realm of midsize SUVs, Toyota has the 4Runner as its ambassador. And what a great representative to have. Part of the fifth generation introduced in 2010, it says a lot that the current 4Runner has been providing a versatile platform and a wide range of options for ten years. Just one engine is offered across the whole range, but it's a good one—a 4.0L V6 engine outputting 270 hp and 276 lb-ft of torque. The 4Runner is also capable of an estimated towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. across the board on 2017–2019 models when properly equipped. 3 Additionally, 2017–2019 models in 2WD form can achieve an EPA-estimated 21 mpg on the highway.2 2017–2019 models also come equipped with the following as standard:
- Rearview camera
- Keyless entry
- 120-volt AC power output
- Skid plates
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the midsize SUV that makes driving both on the road and off-road an absolute breeze. Style on the outside, comfort on the inside, and plenty of room in the back for groceries and supplies, the 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the adventure vehicle of choice—whether that adventure is a shopping trip or a cross-country journey.
Looking to do my research as you shop for the right SUV for you? Take a look at these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices from December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures vary depending on factors like model year, specific trim level, transmission type, engine size, and drive-train. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
3Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.