A smart, simple, and capable electric car.
Are you on the lookout for a fun compact car that will let you say goodbye to the gas pump? Check out the 2020 Nissan Leaf, an electric vehicle that's ideal for your urban commute. The Leaf is stylish and roomy with all the modern tech features that'll guide you around town.
While we currently don't have many 2020 Nissan Leafs on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Nissan Leaf with similar features.
Below are the average prices for prior model years of the Nissan Leaf at CarMax.1
- 2018 – Average price less than $24,5001
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Nissan Leaf review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2019 Nissan Leaf with the 40 kW-hr battery gets an estimated 111 MPGe combined.2
- The 2019 Nissan Leaf Plus S with the 62 kW-hr battery gets an estimated 226 MPGe combined mileage.2
- The 2020 Nissan Leaf with the 40 kW-hr battery has 23.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second-row seat and 30 cubic feet of cargo space with the second row folded flat.
- Up to five passengers
- The standard 2020 Nissan Leaf is equipped with a 147-hp electric motor.
- Plus Series 2020 Nissan Leaf models are equipped with a 214-hp electric motor.
- Standard forward and reverse emergency braking
- Standard blind-spot alerts
- Standard automatic climate control
- Standard Bluetooth® hands-free audio streaming
- Standard Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®
The Nissan Leaf has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured on the following lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Plenty of Standard Driver Aids
You don't need to upgrade to the top trims to get the latest in driver-aid technology. The 2020 Nissan Leaf includes all the advanced driver aids you might want and that's just at the base trim. Forward and reverse automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and lane-keep assist come standard on every model, keeping you confident behind the wheel before you even start looking at higher trims.
2. Innovative e-Pedal™ Technology
One of the advantages of driving an electric vehicle is being able to use the gas pedal to start, brake, and even stop your 2020 Nissan Leaf. The software is designed to manage how the Leaf is controlled using the accelerator pedal. As you use this technology to regenerate some power in stop-and-go traffic, you may find your charge takes you a bit further during around-town driving.
3. Get the Range You Need
There are two different powertrain and battery combinations to choose from on the 2020 Nissan Leaf, so make sure you keep an eye out when shopping. The standard 40 kW-hr battery with its EPA-estimated 143 miles of total range can be mated to the standard 146-hp electric motor.3 All of that gives you plenty of power to get around town during day-to-day driving. If you after an extra bit of power, the 214-hp 2020 Nissan Leaf Plus has a sporty feel and will get you an EPA-estimated range of 226 miles.3
4. Room for Friends
The 2020 Nissan Leaf may look small but it packs an impressive amount of space on the inside. A whopping 23.6 cubic feet of cargo volume can be found behind the second-row seats or you can fold the second row down to open up to a total of 30 cubic feet. And with a total of 92.4 cubic feet of cabin space, your 2020 Leaf has room for you and up to four others, too.
5. Stylish and Familiar Interior
Step inside the 2020 Nissan Leaf to experience the latest in “gliding wing"-inspired design. The center console has familiar and straightforward controls; instead of large touchscreens, you'll find tactile volume dials and radio buttons. Meanwhile, an easy-to-utilize cluster of dials on the dashboard gives you the information you need in an attractive layout. The drive-mode selector is also very accessible, seated right at the center of the 2020 Nissan Leaf's console.
What You Need to Know
- S: Includes 16-inch steel wheels, driver assists like automatic emergency braking, automatic climate control, LED taillights, and more.
- SV: Adds quick-charge capability, 17-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, and unlocks several options.
- PLUS S: Includes a 62 kW-hr battery, 16-inch alloy wheels, automatic emergency braking, automatic climate control, and more.
- PLUS SV: Includes adaptive cruise control, advanced navigation, satellite radio, and unlocks several optional features.
- PLUS SL: Adds power front seats, a Bose® sound system, leather seating, auto-dimming mirror, a 360-degree rearview camera, and more.
- Brilliant Silver Metallic
- Deep Blue Pearl
- Glacier White (S only)
- Gun Metallic
- Pearl White Tri-Coat (SV and SL only)
- Scarlet Amber Tintcoat (SV and SL only)
- Sunset Drift Chroma-Flair (SV and SL only)
- Super Black
- Two-Tone Pearl White Tri-Coat/Super Black (SV and SL only)
- An eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system with charge network enhanced navigation
- Up to 23.4 cubic feet of cargo space
- A 60/40-split-folding rear seat
- A rearview camera and available 360-degree camera
- Available heated leather front seats
Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Nissan Leaf is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Nissan Leaf.
- 2018: Average prices less than $24,500.1
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Nissan Leaf, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features:
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Nissan Leaf4
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- The average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $748
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Nissan Leaf
The 2020 Nissan Leaf is not yet rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you're interested in the 2020 Nissan Leaf, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
If you're after something urban and chic, check out the ultra-stylish 2018 BMW i3. The interior features a minimalist design with real wood trim and two smart LCD screens. The fully-electric 2018 BMW i3 will get you where you need to go with its EPA-estimated range of 114 miles.3 Also, four-passenger seating, a variety of interior styles and colors, and two trims choices will ensure you and your friends ride around in style.
The 2018 BMW i3 also boasts great standard features, including:
- 20-inch alloy wheels
- LED Headlights
- Adaptive cruise control
- Heated front seats
- Automatic climate control
It's hip to be square in the 2017 Kia Soul EV. If you're looking for something that stands out from the crowd the moment its wheels touch the road, the 2017 Kia Soul EV hits all the right notes. Bold lines, bright color choices, and its unique box shape will draw eyes as you drive on by. And, with its EPA-estimated range of 93 miles, the 2017 Kia Soul EV makes an ideal choice if you need a big-city urban commuter.3
You'll get some of the following as standard on 2017 Kia Soul EVs:
- 16-inch two-tone alloy wheels
- Automatic climate control
- An eight-inch infotainment system with voice-activated navigation
- 18.8 cubic feet of storage behind the second-row seats
- A heated steering wheel
With plenty of room and an electric powertrain, the 2017 Hyundai Ioniq makes a great car if you're driving around a green-conscious family. While this practical sedan looks unassuming from the outside, it's loaded with technology, innovation, and comfort to keep you happy and confident behind the wheel. There are an impressive 23.8 cubic feet of cargo space and 60/40-split-folding rear seats to help you stow any of your harder-to-fit belongings.
All 2017 Hyundai Ioniqs include:
- 16-inch eco-centric alloy wheels
- LED taillights and running lights
- A seven-inch touchscreen with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Heated front seats
- Electronic parking brake
The Bottom Line
If you're looking to make the move to an electric vehicle, the 2020 Nissan Leaf is a great option to consider. It has a good range, excellent power, and spirited acceleration. Meanwhile, room for up to five passengers and 23.6 cubic feet of cargo space allows you to bring along your family or friends and their belongings. By keeping things practical, the 2020 Nissan Leaf makes an ideal choice for your first—or next—electric car.
Want to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Based on prices on carmax.com in December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Actual mileage will vary based on things like battery age, vehicle condition and history, driving and charging habits, accessory use, and driving conditions. Battery capacity may decrease with time and use. See fueleconomy.gov for more info.
3Range figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new and assume a full battery charge. Range will vary based on things like battery age, vehicle condition and history, driving and charging habits, accessory use, and driving conditions. Battery capacity may decrease with time and use. See fueleconomy.gov for more info.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of December 1, 2019. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.