Off-road ready, on-road versatility.
Whether you're headed off the grid or to the home improvement store, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma has what you need. The Tacoma, a popular midsize pickup, is rugged enough to handle your adventures and offers versatile options to match your lifestyle.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Toyota Tacomas on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Toyota Tacoma with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Toyota Tacoma review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2020 Toyota Tacoma with 2WD and the 2.7L four-cylinder engine mated to an automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.1
- With 4WD, the 3.5L V6 engine, and manual transmission, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.1
- The Tacoma is available with two different lengths of truck bed: 60.5 inches (five feet plus a half-inch) for the short bed and 73.7 inches (six feet, two inches) for the long bed. Passenger volume behind the front seat is 57.5 cubic feet and 42.6 cubic feet behind the rear seat.
- The 2020 Toyota Tacoma with 2WD, Access Cab, and V6 with automatic transmission boasts a maximum towing capacity of an estimated 6,800 pounds when properly equipped.2
- The Access Cab seats four; the Double Cab seats five.
- 159-hp, 2.7L, four-cylinder mated to a six-speed automatic transmission (standard on SR and SR5 trims)
- 278-hp, 3.5L, V6 mated to a six-speed automatic transmission (optional on SR and SR5 trims and standard on others)
- Qi-compatible wireless smartphone and mobile-device charging comes standard on TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, Limited, and TRD Pro trims.
- Standard audio package for the SR trim includes six speakers, seven-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, Amazon Alexa™ compatibility, hands-free phone via Bluetooth®, advanced voice recognition, and more.
- Premium audio package upgrades to JBL® and Clari-Fi™ with six speakers, subwoofer and amplifier, eight-inch touchscreen, HD Radio™, and more.
- Three total USB ports are standard: one USB media port and two USB charge ports.
The Toyota Tacoma has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. The TRD trims add extra features for outdoor fun
If you're into camping, overlanding, or off-road-trail driving, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma offers a selection of TRD (based on the Toyota Racing Development platform) configurations: TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, and TRD Pro. Along with higher ground clearance and off-road-tuned suspension, the TRD Pro offers an available TRD Pro Desert Air Intake snorkel to keep your engine free of dust and debris. Also included on the TRD Pro are a cat-back exhaust, internal bypass shocks with rear remote reservoirs, TRD-tuned front coil springs and rear leaf springs, electronically-controlled locking rear differential, Multi-Terrain Select and Crawl Control (automatic transmission only), and active traction control (manual transmission only).
2. VooDoo Blue and so many other colors, too
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma can come in one of nine spectacular colors. You'll have your choice of vibrant, show-stopping colors like Barcelona Red or VooDoo Blue or elegant shades like Quicksand and Silver Sky. On the 2020 model, Army Green returns to the lineup, which is a luminous hue to match your outdoor spirit. Paired with complimentary fabric, SofTex®, or leather, the 2020 Tacoma feels luxurious on the inside too. And if you like the traditional black, white, or gray, Toyota has you covered for your Tacoma as well.
3. Rugged, powerful, and still the right size to park easily
At a respectable length just shy of 18 feet, the 2020 Toyota Tacoma is only slightly longer than a full-size SUV. That means it's not going to be difficult to park and driving around town will be a breeze. This truck is 75.2 inches wide at its largest configuration (Double Cab), which is narrower than some SUVs. It helps to know that your Tacoma won't require you to park all the way in the back of the lot just to fit in a space.
4. On- and off-road chops
The 2020 Tacoma offers six trims, two of them specific to off-road driving. However, this truck is also more than proficient in all driving conditions, including rain and snow. Available in both 2WD and 4WD, you can find a Tacoma that measures up to your expectations and needs. If you're a fan of manual transmission, Toyota has you covered with the Tacoma. Both the manual and automatic transmissions are smooth options that engage the driver and keep the drive interesting.
5. Advanced driver-assist technologies
When it comes to technology, Toyota never fails to impress with a portfolio of standard features. The 2020 Toyota Tacoma includes pre-collision warning with pedestrian detection, lane-departure alert with sway warning, dynamic cruise control, and automatic high beams as standard. The whole package gives you confidence driving wherever life takes you. The best part is that every trim of the 2020 Tacoma includes these technologies, from the SR to the TRD Pro.
What You Need to Know
2020 Toyota Tacoma Available Trims
SR: The base work truck has a 2.7L four-cylinder engine with 159 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque. It also includes 16-inch steel wheels, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, six speakers, a seven-inch touchscreen, manual front seats, integrated backup camera, and more.
SR5: Adds a chrome exterior trim, keyless entry, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and an eight-inch touchscreen. The 2.7L engine comes standard but you may want to opt for the available 3.5L V6.
TRD Sport: The V6 engine is standard for this model. It also includes body-colored fender flares and rear bumper, 17-inch alloy wheels, heated mirrors, an attractive hood scoop, a 100-volt/400-watt power outlet, and more.
TRD Off Road: Starting with the same configuration as the TRD Sport, the 2020 Tacoma Off Road adds a chrome rear bumper, textured black fender flares, and 16-inch wheels. Adding to the off-road performance, this trim also includes a lockable rear differential, advanced off-road traction-control system, and more.
Limited: Offered in 2WD and 4WD with the V6 engine, the 2020 Tacoma Limited has body-colored rear bumper and flares, 18-inch wheels, low-profile tires, and all of the optional features from the Sports and Off Road trims included as standard equipment. This trim is available with a choice of double cab or short bed only.
TRD Pro: This trim is loaded with off-road features like all-terrain tires, Fox internal bypass shocks, thicker skid plate in front, and an inch more of clearance. The V6 drivetrain is standard and you can choose between automatic or manual transmissions. Styling details include a black grille, LED headlights, hood scoop with matte-black decal, black overfenders, and more.
2020 Toyota Tacoma Available Colors
- Army Green (TRD Pro only)
- Barcelona Red Metallic (excluding TRD Pro)
- Cement (SR5 trim and above, excluding TRD Pro)
- Magnetic Gray Metallic
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Quicksand (SR5 trim and above, excluding TRD Pro)
- Silver Sky Metallic (excluding TRO Pro)
- Super White
- Voodoo Blue (SR5 trim and above, excluding TRD Pro)
2020 Toyota Tacoma Interior
- Cargo space: The standard bed offers 60.5 inches of space and the long bed 73.7 inches.
- Seating capacity: Seats four in the Access Cab and five in the Double Cab.
- Infotainment options listed: seven-inch touchscreen is standard on the SR trim and eight-inch standard for all other levels. Six-speaker audio system is standard on SR trim and JBL premium audio available on other trims.
- With the V6, 10-way power-adjustable driver seat with two-way lumbar support comes included; all 2020 Tacomas include three USB ports.
Toyota Tacoma Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Tacoma, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the Toyota Tacoma.3
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Toyota Tacomas with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Toyota Tacoma.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $478.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Toyota Tacoma
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma received an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Toyota Tacoma, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years:
Twenty years into its history, the Toyota Tundra is a comfortable, capable, full-size pickup truck. For the 2019 model year, the Tundra includes an impressive portfolio of features that makes this truck an ideal option if you're looking for a vehicle that can handle camping trips with the family on the weekend and haul equipment and materials for work during the week.
- Integrated backup camera
- Heated outside mirrors
- Radar-based cruise control
- Available with two V8 engines: a 310-hp 4.6L and 381-hp 5.7L
In 2019, the midsize Ford Ranger returned to the brand's lineup after an eight-year hiatus. With a standard 2.3L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, the 2019 Ranger generates 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, plenty for your everyday travels and more. This pickup is practical and powerful but with a compact feel and is ideal for anyone looking for the right-sized truck that is welcomed everywhere it goes.
The base model of the 2019 Ford Ranger includes:
- Lane-keeping system
- Blind-spot information system with cross-traffic alert
- Pre-collision assist with automatic emergency braking
- Rearview camera
The compact 2019 Chevrolet Colorado is convenient, smart, and comfortable with seating for two to five people. The standard bed length of the 2019 Colorado is six feet, two inches; that's a competitive size for this class. If you need to get in and out of the city with ease but still want a bit of rugged utility, the 2019 Chevrolet Colorado is a great choice. Base models for model year 2019 include features like:
- Rear-wheel drive and a2.5L four-cylinder engine with manual transmission
- USB port
- 4.2-inch display screen
The Bottom Line
In any of its six trim levels, 2020 Toyota Tacoma offers a terrific package if you're shopping for a midsize pickup truck. You'll be confident off the beaten path, and on the highway, your ride will fee; smooth and powerful. Toss your tools, sports gear, camping gear, and even building materials or furniture in the bed and you're ready for your next road trip.
Looking to learn more? Take a look at these related articles
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.