Hardworking and extremely capable.
With a long lineup of powerful engines accompanied by amazing towing capabilities, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a robust and extremely practical full-size pickup truck that gets the job done. The Silverado is a modern and versatile truck, with lots of amenities and high-tech features, as well as an enormous bed capacity. It has a wide range of available trim configurations, with all models featuring a spacious and comfortable cabin, perfectly combining functionality and utility with the convenience and comfort that are necessary for everyday use.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 review:
Key Specs & Features:
- The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with a 4.3L six-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive gets an EPA-estimated 17 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has a maximum cargo capacity of 89.1 cu-ft.
- When properly equipped, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 can tow an estimated 13,300 lbs with the 6.2L eight-cylinder engine.2
- Regular Cab 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 seats up to three people.
- Double and Crew Cab 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 models can seat up to six people.
- The 4.3L six-cylinder with a six-speed automatic transmission, generating 285 horsepower.
- A turbocharged 2.7L four-cylinder with an eight-speed automatic transmission and an output of 310 horsepower.
- A 5.3L eight-cylinder engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission, delivering 355 horsepower.
- A 420-horsepower 6.2L eight-cylinder with a ten-speed automatic transmission.
- The turbocharged 3.0L six-cylinder engine with a ten-speed automatic transmission, producing 277 horsepower.
- Seven-inch touchscreen with smartphone compatibility
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Six-speaker audio system
- StabiliTrak® stability control system
- Rearview camera
The Chevrolet Silverado 1500 has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 8th — Best Full-Size Trucks (2020)
- 5th — Best Pickup Trucks (2020)
- 10th — Most Reliable Trucks (2020)
- 4th — Best Pickup Trucks under $25,000 (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Amazing Towing Capability
One of the main reasons you should consider buying the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is its towing ability for all your toys and gear. With the model powered by a 6.2L eight-cylinder engine having an estimated maximum towing capacity of 13,300 lbs, when properly equipped, you're set for any activity.2
What's more, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is equipped with a series of advanced technologies that help make towing that much easier, more stable, and convenient. With up to 15 available camera views, you can easily hitch anything you need to tow, and driving and parking with it is practically hassle-free. The available Advanced Trailering System and features like Trailer Sway Control, Hill Start Assist, and Auto Grade Braking will help you tow your load with ease and confidence.
2. Selection of Different Cab and Bed Sizes
In addition to being extremely potent and having a high towing capacity, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 offers a choice between different cab sizes to suit different needs and preferences, which makes it that much more convenient. It's available with three cab types: Crew Cab, Double Cab, and Regular Cab. The Crew Cab model is offered with Short Bed or Standard Bed, the Double Cab is available with Standard Bed, whereas the Regular Cab model comes with Long Bed. With these types of configurations at your disposal, finding the model that's right for you and fits your lifestyle should be an easy task.
3. Bed Functionality
Apart from towing, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is very competitive in the storage department, too. Not only does it offer ample storage space, but it also comes with a couple of innovative and helpful features that make cargo loading and management extremely convenient. It has a maximum cargo volume of 89.1 cu-ft, and its bed is made of roll-formed high strength steel. What's more, it comes with 12 standard tie downs and the available power-up/-down tailgate further increases the bed's functionality.
4. Great Engine Options
When it comes to engines, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 offers a versatile selection that surely includes an option that will meet your needs. The entire lineup is made up of very potent and capable engines that help deliver strong and confident performance. Available engines include a turbocharged 2.7L with Active Fuel Management™, a 4.3L EcoTec3 six-cylinder Active Fuel Management, a 5.3L eight-cylinder EcoTec3 with Dynamic Fuel Management™, and a 6.2L eight-cylinder EcoTec3 with Dynamic Fuel Management, as well as the Duramax® 3.0L Turbo-Diesel option. Depending on whether your priority is responsiveness, pure power, or something else, you won't have any trouble finding an engine option that works for you.
5. Off-Road Capability
Even though pickup trucks are primarily used for towing and hauling, it couldn't hurt to have one that's suitable for off-road driving as well. The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 does offer that ability, with four-wheel drive offered as an option with every model, along with a few other features that help enable a smooth ride on different types of terrains. Some trims are particularly suitable for off-road adventures, such as the Custom Trail Boss and the LT Trail Boss, which come standard with the Z71 off-road suspension package.
What You Need to Know
- WT: Comes standard with 17-inch steel wheels, air conditioning, seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration, locking tailgate, and much more.
- Custom: Adds remote engine start, second row of seats, 20-inch aluminum wheels, LED cargo bed lighting, heated mirrors, satellite radio.4
- Custom Trail Boss: Includes four-wheel drive, the Z71 off-road suspension package, all-terrain tires, and automatic locking differential.
- LT: Comes with 17-inch alloy wheels, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, eight-inch touchscreen, among other features.
- RST: Includes everything from the LT trim, replacing the 17-inch alloy wheels with 18-inch aluminum ones and adding LED fog lights and body-colored exterior trim.
- LT Trail Boss: Adds Hill-Descent Control, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, bucket seats, heated steering wheel, 10-way power driver seat including power lumbar, and more.
- LTZ: Adds an integrated trailer brake controller, heated, power, driver-side auto-dimming, power-folding outside mirrors, universal home remote, bucket seats, front and rear park assist, lane change alert with side blind zone alert, rear cross-traffic alert, and more.
- High Country: Comes with upgrades such as a digital driver information center, Bose® premium sound system, Chevrolet Infotainment 3 premium system with navigation and an eight-inch touchscreen, wireless charging, lane departure warning, and more.
- Northsky Blue Metallic
- Oxford Brown Metallic
- Red Hot
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Shadow Gray Metallic
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Summit White
- Tangier Orange
- Wheatland Yellow
- Woodland Green
- The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with Crew Cab has a cargo capacity of 62.9 cu-ft, the Double Cab model has a cargo volume of 71.1 cu-ft, and the Regular Cab model offers 89.1 cu-ft of cargo space.
- Double and Crew Cab models can seat up to six people, whereas the Regular Cab has a capacity for up to three passengers.
- Seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
- Front cup holders, locking glove box, vinyl upholstery, chrome interior accents.
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500:
- 2012 — Average prices less than $21,5003
- 2013 — Average prices less than $22,0003
- 2014 — Average prices less than $25,5003
- 2015 — Average prices less than $27,5003
- 2016 — Average prices less than $29,5003
- 2017 — Average prices less than $32,0003
- 2018 — Average prices less than $33,5003
- 2019 — Average prices less than $39,5003
- 2020 — Average prices less than $44,0003
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
- 2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
The 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 received an overall 4/5 rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Undoubtedly one of the most popular pickup trucks ever, the Ford F-150 is known for its potent engines and high storage and towing capacity. Model years 2017–2019 are part of the thirteenth generation and are available in seven trim configurations. It can seat up to six people, depending on the cab model, and it has a maximum payload capacity of an estimated 3,270 lbs. Standard features on model years 2017–2019 include:
- Daytime running lights
- Telescoping steering wheel
- Bench front seats
- Cloth upholstery
Featuring a spacious interior and a smooth and quiet ride, the Ram 1500 is a versatile and extremely functional full-size pickup truck. Now in its fourth generation, the stylish Ram 1500 comes in eight trim configurations, with each of them equipped with features that make it suitable for both urban and off-road conditions. Model years 2017–2019 can seat up to six people, and has an estimated payload capacity of 2,300 lbs. Here are some of the most notable standard features you can look forward to if you opt for a model year 2017–2019 Ram 1500:
- Vinyl upholstery
- Steel wheels
- USB port
- Wireless phone connectivity
The Jeep Gladiator is a midsize pickup truck that was first introduced in 2018 for the 2020 model year. It's a rugged four-door pickup with excellent off-road capabilities and a roomy cabin with seating for five. Model year 2020 with a 3.6L six-cylinder engine that produces 285 hp has an estimated towing capacity of 7,650 lbs when properly equipped, and a payload capacity of up to 1,700 lbs.2 The 2020 model comes with lots of standard features, including:
- Four-wheel drive
- Flat rear load floor
- U Connect Bluetooth connectivity
- 17-inch steel wheels
- Eight-speaker audio system
The Bottom Line
Big, rugged, and strong, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a hardworking pickup truck that's also pretty convenient and versatile. In addition to the high towing and hauling capacity and respectable off-road capability, it comes with a comfortable and roomy cabin that makes it a viable commuter vehicle, as well. The amount of standard and available tech features only help make the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 one of the best choices for those looking for a multi-functional, high-performing and easily adaptive vehicle.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
- 10 Best Full-Size Trucks for 2020
- 10 Best Pickup Trucks for 2020
- 12 Most Reliable Trucks for 2020
- 9 Best Pickup Trucks under $25,000
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3Based on prices on carmax.com from April 9, 2019 through September 10, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
4Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.