Three doors of functional fun.
The 2021 Hyundai Veloster is a great way to upgrade your hatchback game. Loaded with options across five trims, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster offers everything you'd expect from a hatchback and some things you don't. The Veloster is Hyundai's three-door hatchback, loaded with current technology and features. Pop open the rear hatch to access more trunk space than you might expect. You can choose from two engines to get the spirited driving style you want. The 2021 Hyundai Veloster is an attractive option on your hatchback shopping list.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Hyundai Velosters on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should consider prior model years of the Hyundai Veloster with similar features. Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Hyundai Veloster review:
Key Specs and Features
- Equipped with the optional turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder engine and seven-speed automatic, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster has an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined.1
- The 2.0L four-cylinder engine and seven-speed automatic provide an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Hyundai Veloster has 19.9 cu-ft of cargo space behind the rear seats.
- Folding the rear seats in the 2021 Hyundai Veloster increases cargo space to 44.5 cu-ft.
- The 2021 Hyundai Veloster has seating for up to five.
- There is 88.9 cu-ft of total passenger volume.
- The standard engine on the 2021 Hyundai Veloster is a 2.0L, four-cylinder making 147 hp.
- An available 201 hp turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder engine.
- Standard Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™
- Standard forward collision-avoidance assist
- An Infinity® premium sound system (2.0 Premium and higher)
- Wireless charging (2.0 Premium or Turbo and higher)
- Head-up display (Turbo Ultimate)
The Hyundai Veloster has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. A Hatchback with Style
Stand out from the crowd with the 2021 Hyundai Veloster. Its unique three-door design breaks from the typical hatchback shape without sacrificing the improved cargo space you want. LED accents on the headlights make the 2021 Hyundai Veloster feel classy. Sport-bucket seats and colored accent lines add a hint of aggressiveness to the modern styling. Tailpipes centered on the rear complete the eye-catching design.
2. Brimming with Technology
Regardless of the trim level, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster has the technology you want and need in your next car. At base trim, get full Android or Apple connectivity, forward collision-avoidance assist, and a seven-inch touchscreen. Upgrade to higher trims to add wireless charging, a head-up display, and an Infinity sound system. You'll find most of the driving assists you want in the 2021 Hyundai Veloster's 2.0 Premium trim or higher.
3. Engines That Go the Extra Mile
The 2021 Hyundai Veloster features a peppy pair of engine choices that boast impressive EPA-estimated fuel economy. At 2.0L, the base engine gets paired with a six-speed manual transmission in 2021 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 trims. There's a seven-speed automatic transmission available on the 2.0 Premium trim. Boost the fun with the optional 201 hp 1.6L turbocharged four-cylinder engine. When equipped with the 1.6L turbo engine and seven-speed automatic transmission, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster gets an EPA-estimated 30 combined mpg.1
4. Room for the Whole Gang
An advantage a hatchback like the 2021 Hyundai Veloster offers is more passenger space than a compact sedan might have. At 88.9 cu-ft, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster has plenty of room for five to ride. There's space for what you're traveling with, too, thanks to an impressive 19.9 cu-ft of cargo space. If you need to haul an oversized item, fold down the second row for a functional 44.5 cu-ft of cargo space.
5. Loaded 2.0
You won't be missing out on features or options by picking even the base-model 2021 Hyundai Veloster 2.0. You'll have the fun of a manual transmission, a seven-inch touchscreen, and 17-inch alloy wheels. Stream your favorite tunes with standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Some of the latest driving aids are standard, like forward collision-avoidance assist, lane-keep assist, and driver attention warning. A long list of the features you're looking to have is in the 2021 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 base trim.
What You Need to Know
- 2.0 — Includes Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, a seven-inch touchscreen, a rearview camera, steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls, and more
- 2.0 Premium — Adds a power sunroof, 18-inch alloys, an Infinity sound system, wireless device charging, heated front seats, an eight-inch touchscreen, and more
- Turbo R-Spec — A unique trim that includes 2.0 features and adds a sport-tuned suspension, blind-spot collision warning, individual interior cloth seats, LED headlights, and more
- Turbo — Adds to Turbo R-Spec a power tilt sunroof, wireless charging, a seven-speed DCT, 18-inch alloy wheels, and more
- Turbo Premium — Adds a head-up display, leather seating, an eight-inch touchscreen, adaptive cruise control, and more
- Chalk White
- Racing Red (not available on Turbo R-Spec)
- Sonic Silver (not available on Turbo R-Spec)
- Sunset Orange
- Thunder Gray
- Ultra Black (not available on Turbo R-Spec)
- 19.9 cu-ft of storage space behind the second-row seats
- A total of 88.9 cu-ft cargo space with the second-row folded flat
- Available wireless charging on 2.0 Premium and above
- A center-mounted LCD touchscreen with available streaming apps
- Comfortable seating for five
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Hyundai Veloster is a newer model year, and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Hyundai Veloster.2
- 2012 — Average prices less than $11,5002
- 2013 — Average prices less than $12,0002
- 2014 — Average prices less than $13,0002
- 2015 — Average prices less than $14,0002
- 2016 — Average prices less than $15,5002
- 2017 — Average prices less than $15,0002
- 2018 — N/A
- 2019 — Average prices less than $20,5002
- 2020 — Average prices less than $20,0002
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Hyundai Veloster, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Hyundai Veloster has not yet been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Hyundai Veloster, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Fun and compact, the 2017–2019 Hyundai Accent has much of the space and functionality you're looking for in a subcompact package. Pick either a four-door sedan or hatchback, both powered by a peppy 130 hp 1.6L four-cylinder engine. A selection of four trims offers a great selection of available options and features, as well as some of the latest technology. At 21.7 cu-ft, the 2017–2019 Hyundai Accent hatchback has more space than its size suggests.
The standard 2017–2019 Hyundai Accent Essential includes:
- A five-inch color touchscreen
- Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- A rearview camera
- 60/40 split-folding rear seats
- A USB charge port
Bold, aggressive styling helps the 2017–2019 Toyota CH-R stand out in a crowd. The modern design flows into the interior, with simple lines and controls placed right where you need them. The 2017–2019 Toyota CH-R keeps things simple with just two trims and one engine. Don't let the simplicity fool you, since the 2017–2019 Toyota CH-R still comes packed with the latest features you're looking for in a hatchback.
Regardless of the trim you pick, the 2017–2018 Toyota CH-R will have:
- A 2.0L four-cylinder engine making 144 hp
- LED daytime running lights
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- A seven-inch touchscreen with Bluetooth® audio streaming
- An auto-dimming rearview mirror with integrated backup camera display
If you're looking for something with the typical slippery-smooth lines you typically expect from a sedan or hatchback, the 2017–2019 Mazda Mazda3 is worth your attention. At 186 hp, the 2.5L four-cylinder engine has lots of power for highway and city driving. Get an impressive 13.2 cu-ft of cargo space in the sedan or a whopping 20.1 in the hatchback. AWD is optional on any 2017–2019 trims, which gives you added confidence in winter or rainy driving.
Standard features on 2017–2019 Mazda Mazda3 include:
- An 8.4-inch touchscreen with Bluetooth streaming
- Cruise control
- 60/40 split-folding rear seats
- Air conditioning with manual controls
- LED headlights and taillights
The Bottom Line
A hatchback is a fun alternative to the compact sedan, and the 2021 Hyundai Veloster stands out in a crowd of standouts. The 2021 Hyundai Veloster balances fun and comfort, giving you an excellent selection of technology and features at any trim level. Whether you're driving around town or on a highway commute, the 2021 Hyundai Veloster is worth a close look.
Looking for more information? Check out some of these other helpful resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Based on prices on carmax.com from January 2, 2019 through June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.