The sparkling subcompact that's big on fun.
A head-turning subcompact SUV that matches its big personality with a feature-filled cabin, the 2021 Kia Soul is a vibrant daily driver that welcomes weekend adventures too. While determined to be different, the Kia Soul is, above all, passenger-friendly; thanks to its quirky exterior styling, impeccable road manners, and plush interior comforts.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Kia Souls on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Kia Soul with similar features.
Below are average prices of prior model year Kia Souls.1
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Kia Soul review:
Key Specs and Features:
- The 2021 Kia Soul with 2.0L four-cylinder engine and manual six-speed transmission gets an EPA-estimated 27 mpg combined.2
- The 2021 Kia Soul with 2.0L four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined.2
- The 2021 Soul with 1.6L four-cylinder turbo engine with automatic seven-speed transmission gets an EPA-estimated 29 mpg combined.2
- 24.2 cu-ft of cargo space with all seats in place
- Seating for five passengers
- Standard models have a 2.0L four-cylinder engine delivering 147 horsepower and 132 lb-ft of torque, paired with either a six-speed manual or continuously variable transmission.
- The range-topping Turbo trim features a 1.6L turbocharged four-cylinder engine capable of 201 horsepower and 195 lb-ft of torque, partnered with a seven-speed automatic transmission.
- Lane keep assist (X-Line trim and above)
- Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® smartphone integration
- Bluetooth® wireless technology
- Rearview camera
- Impact sensing auto door unlock
The Kia Soul has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 2nd — Best Sedans (2020)
- 1st — Best Crossover SUVs (2020)
- 1st — Best Station Wagons (2020)
- 4th — Most Reliable SUVs (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Eye-catching exterior colorways
Head-turning in every way—the 2021 Kia Soul stands out for all the right reasons. Exterior paint options for the 2021 models include two dual-colorway options available on the X-Line trim (Mars Orange or Neptune Blue, paired with Cherry Black) and a rather grand Undercover Green option available on the X-Line and EX trims. This means it's easy to find the color scheme that fits your personality!
2. Storage solutions
With 24.2 cu-ft of space behind the rear seats and 62.1 cu-ft when the back row is folded down, there's an impressive amount of cargo space in the 2021 Kia Soul. But it's the storage details throughout its interior that can claim a share of the praise too. These passenger-focused features include a front-seat back pocket (S, EX, Turbo), a center console armrest with storage (standard from S trim), front and rear door cup holders (standard across all trims), and an illuminated glove box.
3. An intelligent interior
The boxy Kia Soul feels perfectly proportioned for adult passengers thanks to wide door openings and elevated roof clearance. As the driver, you'll first appreciate the multi-adjustable seat and steering wheel, and the infotainment menus that feel highly functional and easy to track back and forwards through. Just as pleasing are the comfort touches for your rear-seat passengers: they've got 38.8 inches of legroom, adjustable headrests (EX, Turbo), and some impressively tall windows too.
4. Trim choice
The 2021 Kia Soul has got its trim choices absolutely spot-on: six trims with two engines and three transmission choices mean your preferred driving delivery will be found somewhere across the range. If you are so inclined, the Kia Soul has two sporty trims (GT-Line and Turbo), while across all trims, the cabin comforts, tech offerings, and driver assistance features are fairly distributed. Each trim feels special.
5. The top-of-range Turbo trim
If you're shopping for a vehicle that matches your get-up-and-go, then special mention must go to the 2021 Kia Soul Turbo trim; it's your perfect weekend-getaway driver. Thanks to a 1.6L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, you have performance and acceleration at your fingertips; it's ready for the highway. And as the 2021 Soul's top-of-range trim, the Turbo is also kitted out with some welcome touches to elevate your long-distance road trips, including: heads-up display, heated steering wheel, and the premium Harman Kardon® 10-speaker audio system with subwoofer and amplifier.
What You Need to Know
The 2021 Kia Soul is available in six trim options:
- LX: Includes cloth upholstery, smartphone connectivity, six-speaker sound system, seven-inch touchscreen display, air conditioning, rearview camera, hill-start assist, emergency breaking assist, and more.
- S: Includes eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat, idle stop and go system, 16-inch alloy wheels, cruise control, pre-collision warning system, lane-keeping assist, optional wheel locks, and more.
- X-Line: Adds roof rails, front fog lights, 18-inch painted alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel, forward collision mitigation and more.
- GT-Line: Adds 18-inch alloy wheels, dual illuminating vanity mirrors, premium cloth upholstery, positioning lights, sport appearance front and rear bumper fascias, sunroof with power sunshade, and more.
- EX: Includes LED running lights, heated outside mirrors, dual-zone climate control, rear center armrest with cup holders, heated front seats, a 10.3-inch touchscreen entertainment display, wireless charging, and more.
- Turbo: Includes adaptive cruise control, seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, head-up display, LED high mounted stop lamp, 10-speaker Harman Kardon sound system, LED cargo lighting, chrome exhaust, heated steering wheel, and more.
The 2021 Soul comes in eight exterior colors:
- Cherry Black
- Gravity Gray (LX with CVT and above
- Inferno Red (LX with CVT and above)
- Mars Orange (LX with CVT, S, X-Line)
- Neptune Blue (X-Line, GT-Line, Turbo)
- Snow White Pearl
- Sparkling Silver (LX, S, EX)
- Undercover Green (X-Line, EX)
- Seating for five passengers
- 24.2 cu-ft of cargo space, expanding to 62.1 cu-ft with rear seating folded back
- Front and rear-seat legroom of 41.1, and 38.8 inches, respectively
- Total interior volume of 120.9 cu-ft
- Rear-occupant alert, new for all 2021 Kia Soul models
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Kia Soul is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Kia Soul.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Kia Soul, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Kia Soul has not yet been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Kia Soul you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Drifting close to the premium end of the SUV market, the 2017–2019 five-seater Nissan Murano is a tech-filled passenger paradise available in four trim levels (S, SV, SL, Premium). Its stylish and dynamic exterior (think vivid curves and sleek high lines) is only the beginning of the story. All 2018–2019 Nissan Muranos feature as standard equipment:
- 3.5L V6 engine with CVT
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Keyless entry and ignition
With some impressive off-road skills and excellent all-round visibility, the 2017–2019 Subaru Outback is a multi-talented SUV that loves action adventures. Its high-ride height means you can jump in and out with ease, and this five-seater has a plush interior from which to view the open road. All 2017–2019 Subaru Outbacks have:
- 2.5L four-cylinder base engine, or optional 3.6L six-cylinder engine (both with CVT)
- 73.3 cu-ft of interior cargo volume
- Roof rails with integrated crossbars
Honda's robust midsize SUV is a well-equipped eight-seater, ideally suited to the daily demands of busy families and car sharers. Available in five trim levels, the 2017–2019 Honda Pilot focuses on passenger comfort and courteous road manners in equal measure. All 2017–2019 Honda Pilot models feature:
- 3.5L V6 engine with six-or nine-speed automatic transmission
- Second-row captain's chairs at Elite trim level (reducing seating to seven)
- Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity
The Bottom Line
The Kia Soul is an eye-catching subcompact SUV; pleasing passengers with high levels of comfort and convenience in a roomy and relaxed cabin. With trim choices that bring out your personality, the 2021 Kia Soul is a fun-filled option to seriously consider.
Ready for more research before making your final choice? Take a look at these related articles:
1 Based on prices on carmax.com between January 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.