A rugged pickup with sleek styling.
From traversing city streets with an integrated navigation system to heading off into the wild for a camping trip, the 2021 Toyota Tundra gets the job done. This multi-use V8 full-size pickup truck offers both luxury and utility.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Toyota Tundras on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Toyota Tundra with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Toyota Tundra review:
Key Specs and Features:
The 2021 Toyota Tundra 4WD, with the 5.7L V8 engine and six-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 14 mpg combined.1
- 5.5-foot, short bed (SR5 and Platinum), 6.5-foot standard bed (Limited)
- Rear under-seat storage compartment (Limited)
- 60/40 split fold-up rear seats (All models)
- The Toyota Tundra's towing capacity is an estimated 10,100 lbs. with the 5.7L V8 on 2021 SR5 and Limited models, when properly equipped.2
- For the 5.7L V8 2021 Platinum model, the towing capacity is an estimated 9,400 lbs., when properly equipped.2
- Five passenger seating (Limited and Platinum)
- Six passenger seating (SR5)
- All three trims offer a 5.7L V8 engine
- Driver-assistance features
- Touchscreen display navigation system
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capability
- Hands-free door unlocking system
- Integrated backup camera
The Toyota Tundra has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 6th — 10 Best Pickup Trucks (2020)
- 6th — 10 Best Full-Size Trucks (2020)
- 11th — 12 Most Reliable Trucks (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Impressive Towing Capacity
The 2021 Toyota Tundra can haul pretty much anything you like, from horse trailers and campers to utility trailers and boats. The standard tow package on the SR5 and Limited models with the V8 engine pulls an estimated 10,100 lbs. with an available payload up to an estimated 1,730 lbs., when properly equipped.2 This makes it the perfect vehicle if you're tackling remodeling projects, are a construction industry professional, or have a crew of adventure seekers.
2. Twelve Color Options
If a head-turning vehicle is on your wish list, the color palette offered for the 2021 Toyota Tundra won't disappoint. In addition to standard black, red and white options, you'll also have a few uncommon hues to pursue including the gray-tinted Calvary Blue, the vibrant Voodoo Blue, the shimmery Wind Chill Pearl, and the rich brown Smoked Mesquite. Love the military? Perhaps the classic Army Green will catch your eye! Color availability varies per trim so keep an eye out for your favorite.
3. Additional Driving Control
Handling a big vehicle is made simple with the driving control features found in the 2021 Toyota Tundra. The standard 4WD and active traction control make it easier to manage snowy weather, limited-access gravel roads, or rocky trail adventures. You'll hear the automatic limited-slip differential lock into place and distribute power where it's most needed to keep you moving forward in all weather and terrain.
4. Modern Tech Conveniences
If you love playing with the latest connectivity and online assistants, the 2021 Toyota Tundra is ready to sync with your favorite tech, from Apple to Android services. The eight-inch touchscreen display can fire up the navigation system, your favorite podcast, music playlist, or digital assistant (like Alexa, Siri, or Cortana) to start an app on your connected SmartPhone.4 This convenient tech helps makes long journeys as entertaining as possible for you and your passengers.
5. Ample Seating for Family and Friends
The base model SR5 Tundra seats up to six people, while the Limited and Platinum editions make room for five. So, go ahead and ask the neighbor to join you on your next outing. Or, let the kids bring a friend along to family pizza night. For those who enjoy spending weekends hiking or taking the dog along, the backseat can easily accommodate a canine companion.
What You Need to Know
- SR5: Includes halogen headlights, deck rail and tailgate caps, high solar-energy absorbing glass, easy lower and lift tailgate, remote keyless entry, sliding rear window, two front 12V auxiliary power outlets, optional TRD off-road packages and 1794 Edition, and much more.
- Limited: Comes with LED fog lights, dual zone climate control with dust and pollen filter, 20-inch split five-spoke wheels, special edition Nightshade edition option with black features, and much more.
- Platinum: Offers leather trimmed steering wheel with embedded tech controls, anti-theft system with alarm and glass-break sensors, 20-inch premium six-spoke wheels, and much more.
- Army Green (available on the SR5 and 1794 Edition)
- Barcelona Red Metallic (available on SR5, Limited, platinum and 1794 Edition)
- Calvary Blue (available on the Limited)
- Cement (available on the SR5 and Limited)
- Lunar Rock (available on the TRD Pro)
- Magnetic Gray Metallic (available on the SR5, Limited, Platinum and TRD Pro)
- Midnight Black Metallic (available on the SR5, Limited, Platinum, TRD Pro and 1794 Edition)
- Silver Sky Metallic (available on the SR5, Limited, Platinum and 1794 Edition)
- Smoked Mesquite (available on the Limited, Platinum and 1794 Edition)
- Super White (available on the SR5, Limited, TRD Pro and 1794 Edition)
- Voodoo Blue (available on the SR5, Limited, Platinum and 1794 Edition)
- Wind Chill Pearl (available on Platinum and 1794 Edition)
- 60/40 split fold-up rear seats
- Carpeted flooring
- Overhead storage console (SR5 and Platinum only)
- Front and rear cup holders
- Two front and one rear 12V auxiliary power outlets
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Toyota Tundra is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Toyota Tundra.3
- 2011 — Average prices less than $20,0003
- 2012 — Average prices less than $22,0003
- 2013 — Average prices less than $23,0003
- 2014 — Average prices less than $27,5003
- 2015 — Average prices less than $28,5003
- 2016 — Average prices less than $30,0003
- 2017 — Average prices less than $31,5003
- 2018 — Average prices less than $33,5003
- 2019 — Average prices less than $34,5003
- 2020 — Average prices less than $33,5003
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Toyota Tundra, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Toyota Tundra is rated overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Toyota Tundra, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The 2019 Toyota Tacoma base SR trim offers all the classic truck bells and whistles including a tow hitch, traction control, and power locks/windows/mirrors. This midsize pickup comfortably accommodates up to five passengers (with a four-door double cab) as well as a trailer for tools, a boat or horses, when properly equipped. Standard features on the 2019 Toyota Tacoma include:
- Rear-wheel drive with optional upgrade to 4WD
- Fiber-reinforced bed-liner to resist scratching
- Standard and long-bed options
- Six trim options
The 2019 Toyota Sequoia is a full-size, V8 SUV that offers AWD and 4WD options to get you around town. Although this vehicle isn't a pickup truck, it offers a tow hitch and full roof rack for your needs. It also features a fold-away third-row for extra interior storage. Have a large family or group of friends? The 2019 Toyota Sequoia seats up to eight passengers. The 2019 Toyota Sequoia comes standard with:
- Power hatch/deck lid
- Running boards
- Heated front seats
- Third-row seating
In 2010, Ram Trucks (aka RAM) established a line of commercial-grade vehicles separate from its former parent brand, Dodge. Bear this in mind if you're looking for a used Ram truck. The extended cab on the 2019 Ram 1500 easily accommodates growing families and ride-along pets, while the truck bed makes hauling supplies for DIY or garden work a breeze. You'll find the following features on base models of the Ram 1500 from 2017 and 2018:
- USB port
- 3.5-inch information screen
- Active grille shutters
- Satellite radio-ready
The Bottom Line
If you're shopping for a comfortable ride with the latest tech features, towing options, and plenty of room for passengers, look no further than the 2021 Toyota Tundra. This full-size pickup truck is ready to join your adventures.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2 Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3 Based on CarMax average prices between January 2, 2019 through June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
4Activation with subscription required.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.