A stylish, seven-seater SUV.
For everyday driving in comfort—and the luxury of handling weekend excitement in style—the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas delivers. This head-turning SUV packs a punch! With eight trim levels that tailor driving to suit your personality, and an enviably grand capacity for friends and cargo, the Atlas is a great choice.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Volkswagen Atlas models on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Volkswagen Atlas with similar features.
Below are average prices of the Volkswagen Atlas from prior model years.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Volkswagen Atlas review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2021 Atlas with the 2.0L four-cylinder engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg combined.2
- The 2021 Atlas with front-wheel drive and the 3.6L V6 engine with automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined.2
- The 2021 Atlas with all-wheel drive and the 3.6L V6 engine with automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.2
- 20.6 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in place
- 55.5 cubic feet with the third-row seats folded down
- 96.8 cubic feet with the second and third rows folded down
- When properly equipped, the 2021 Atlas with the V6 engine has an estimated towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.3
- Seven passengers across three rows
- The 2021 Atlas base engine is a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine with 235 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of torque (standard on S, SE, and SE with Technology (FWD) trims; optional on SEL and SEL Premium trims (AWD models)).
- SE with Technology (AWD) and higher trims feature a 3.6L V6 engine with 276 horsepower and 266 lb.-ft. of torque.
- Driver-assistance features
- Eight-inch capacitive touchscreen display (SE and above)
- Intelligent Crash Response System
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Tri-zone Climatronic® automatic climate control (SE and above)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Stylish Exterior Refresh
The refreshed Atlas maintains the boxy presence of the outgoing model, while boasting the addition of boldly styled front and rear bumpers. The front end's three-bar grille wraps around the fascia, while the headlights and taillights feature LED lighting. Look up, and you'll find roof rails are standard—increasing your getaway cargo capacity—with a large panoramic sunroof as an available feature on the SE with Technology model, and standard at SEL and SEL Premium trims.
2. Helpful Driver-Assistance Features
Equipped with an impressive lineup of standard driver-assistance features, the eight trim levels also unlock assistance you will appreciate. The Intelligent Crash Response System is a standard feature of the 2021 Atlas, featuring advanced forward collision mitigation. You'll also love the Dynamic Road Sign Display feature (SEL, SEL premium), which detects, reads, and analyzes road sign data, sharing it to the media screen and digital cockpit display.
3. Plenty of Passenger Comfort
You'll be basking in some next-level popularity as the driver of a 2021 Atlas; it's a dream setup for your passengers. Enjoy quilt-like cloth upholstery as standard, or choose from the leatherette or leather available in mid- and higher-end trims. Second-row passengers can relax into plush bench seating with middle arm rests and integrated cupholders. There are available USB ports throughout the cabin, as well as convenient storage pockets and dual or triple climate-control zones. Friends and family will be thrilled to relax in your ride.
4. Adaptable for Everyday Life
The 2021 Atlas excels at making everyday events feel easy, and challenging trips less stressful. Heading out to play sports with your buddies? Running errands or picking up DIY supplies? No problem. The second- and third-row seats have fold-flat functionality. Multiple morning dropoffs are light work, too—the third row is all-access, thanks to a second-row bench seat that features a 7.7-inch sliding range.
5. Tons of Tech for Every Trim
Thanks to its distinctly premium feel, you can expect some serious tech onboard the 2021 Atlas. Even before you ascend the trim levels, take a look at the tech that comes with the base S trim. Driver-assistance features include forward-collision mitigation, blind-spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert. Entertainment features are covered too, with smartphone connectivity, a 6.5-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth® technology, and a six-speaker audio system.
What You Need to Know
2021 Volkswagen Atlas: Available Trims
The 2021 Atlas comes in eight trims:
- S: Features 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ connectivity, dual-zone climate control with vents across all rows, cloth upholstery, forward collision mitigation, rearview camera, and more.
- SE: Adds keyless entry and remote start,4 tri-zone climate control, heated front seats, wireless phone charging, second-row USB ports, leatherette upholstery, voice controls, eight-inch touchscreen display, and more.
- SE with Technology: Adds 20-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, hands-free tailgate, optional second-row captain's chairs, and more.
- SE with Technology R-Line: Unlocks a V6 engine, exclusive-to-R-Line front and rear bumpers, R-Line badging, 20-inch alloy wheels, rear traffic alert, stainless steel pedal caps, and more.
- SEL: Features a digital cockpit system, panoramic sunroof with two-part glass opening system and powered sunshade, silver roof rails, turn-adaptive headlights, lane assist, and more.
- SEL R-Line: Adds 21-inch alloy wheels, heated steering wheel, R-Line sports exterior styling, R-Line steering wheel clip, navigation system, and more.
- SEL Premium Unlocks 12-speaker Fender® premium audio system, heated second-row seats, leather upholstery, ambient interior lighting, automated parking system, 360-degree camera , and more.
- SEL Premium R-Line: Pairs the SEL R-Line trim's luxury sport styling with the SEL Premium trim features.
2021 Volkswagen Atlas: Available Colors
The 2021 Atlas comes in eight exterior colors:
- Aurora Red Metallic (SE with Technology and above)
- Deep Black Pearl
- Pacific Blue Metallic (SE with Technology, SEL, SEL Premium, SEL Premium R-Line)
- Platinum Gray Metallic
- Pure White
- Pyrite Silver Metallic
- Racing Green (SE with Technology and above)
- Tourmaline Blue Metallic
2021 Volkswagen Atlas: Interior
- Leatherette seating (SE, up to SEL R-Line)
- 153.7 cubic feet of total passenger volume
- Legroom across the second and third rows is 37.6 and 33.7 inches, respectively
- Up to five USB ports, plus three 12-volt DC power outlets as standard
- 12-speaker Fender premium audio system (SEL Premium)
Volkswagen Atlas: Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Volkwagen Atlas is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Volkswagen Atlas.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Volkswagen Atlas has not yet been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
A terrific choice for big families and ride sharers, the 2017-2019 nine-seater Chevrolet Tahoe LS base trim model has a robust 5.3L V8 engine, six-speed automatic transmission, and rear-wheel drive. If you're looking for additional utility options, the 2017-2019 Chevrolet Tahoe with available 4WD V8, when properly equipped, has an estimated towing capacity of 8,400 lbs.3 These Tahoe model years also have:
- Seating for up to nine passengers (LS trim only)
- Premium cloth seats
- Teen-driver monitoring system
The 2017-2019 Honda Pilot is an active all-rounder, powered by a 3.5L V6 engine and seating seven or eight passengers in roomy comfort. This midsize SUV is also well equipped to take on the tasks active lifestyles demand. When properly equipped, the 2017-2019 AWD V6 Honda Pilot has an estimated towing capacity of 5,000 lbs.3 The 2017-2019 models also benefit from:
- Satellite navigation (2019 onward)
- Optional nine-speed automatic transmission
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
With impressive cargo capacity (120.1 cubic feet behind row one), the 2017-2019 Toyota Sequoia is a great choice if you're shopping for an adaptable and spacious truck-based SUV. Your passengers will enjoy roomy and functional second and third rows that have plenty of in-cabin storage. All 2017-2019 base trim SR5 Sequoias have:
- 5.7L V8 engine with six-speed automatic transmission
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Rearview camera
The Bottom Line
With its restyled fascia, host of standard features, and spacious interior, the 2021 Volkswagen Atlas is designed to deliver. Charming road manners and plenty of desirable features make this SUV a must-see.
Looking to learn more about SUVs? Take a look at these related articles:
1Based on prices on carmax.com between January 1, 2019 and May 31, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3 Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4 Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.