Take a joy ride in this luxury SUV.
If you've been feeling torn between buying a sporty SUV and a luxury SUV, you may not have to choose after all. The Acura MDX strikes a fine balance, offering you all the style and features you'd come to expect in a luxury SUV without sacrificing power under the hood. This three-row SUV offers ample seating for up to seven passengers, making it a great road trip vehicle.
With so much to offer, it's no surprise that the Acura MDX is frequently a top contender in the luxury SUV category; learn more about this vehicle in our Acura MDX review.
- Reasons to Buy
- What You Need to Know
- Customer Reviews
- Acura MDX Ratings
- What's New for 2018?
- The Bottom Line
Reasons to Buy
1. Well Equipped
Even in the base Standard trim, the 2017 Acura MDX accessories are well-appointed. Standard features include a power liftgate, keyless entry and ignition, and leather upholstery. Drivers and passengers alike will also enjoy the standard sunroof, tri-zone climate control, and eight-speaker sound system. And of course, upgrading trims affords even more luxurious features, such as front-seat ventilation and heated second-row seats in the Advance trim.
2. Great Engine Options
The 3.5-liter V6 that comes standard across all trim levels on the 2017 Acura MDX is pretty impressive, as is its nine-speed automatic transmission and available all-wheel drive across all trims. Even in the fuel-saving Sport Hybrid trim, drivers don't have to sacrifice much in the way of power with its 3.0-liter V6 and three electric engines.
3. Optional Entertainment Add-Ons
Both the 2017 model’s Technology and Advance trims have an optional add-on package known as the Entertainment package, which really takes interior features and comfort to the next level. Specifically, this package adds a DVD player and nine-inch television screens to the rear seats in the Technology trim. In the Advance trim, passengers will enjoy 16.2-inch screens with HDMI input and an upgraded sound system.
4. Spacious and Comfortable Interior
The second row of seats in the 2017 Acura MDX are surprisingly spacious and offer plenty in the way of head room and leg room. And while the smaller third row of seating is probably ideal for children, it's still spacious enough to accommodate full-size adults in a pinch. Some trims even come with ventilated second-row seats for added passenger comfort.
5. Clever Small-Item Storage
Everywhere you look in the 2017 Acura MDX, you'll find clever storage solutions. From door bins and hidden compartments for purses and electronics, Acura has really made the most of the space available in the MDX. Combine this with the maximum cargo storage space of 90.9 cubic feet and there is no shortage of storage in this luxury SUV.
What You Need to Know
Acura MDX CarMax Price1
- 2014-2016: Average prices less than $31,000.
- 2017-2018: Average prices less than $40,500.
2017 Acura MDX Trim Levels
- Standard – The base Standard trim comes with 18-inch wheels, a power liftgate, keyless entry and ignition, and a sunroof. Read more about the standard trim.
- Technology – The Technology trim is equipped with larger 20-inch wheels, remote engine start, a navigation system, and an upgraded 10-speaker sound system. This trim also comes with standard blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert. Read more about the Technology trim.
- Advance – The Advance trim comes standard with a surround-view camera system, extra USB ports, and front/rear parking sensors. Drivers will also enjoy the included automatic engine stop-start feature and heated steering wheel. Passengers will enjoy heated second-row seats. Read more about the Advance Trim.
- Sport Hybrid – This trim comes with a 3.0-liter V6 engine and three electric engines. It also comes with the buyer's choice of Technology or Advance add-ons. Read more about the Sport Hybrid trim.
Acura MDX Interior (2017)
- Acura MDX Seating Capacity – Up to seven passengers across three rows.
- Acura MDX Cargo Space – 14.9 cubic feet with second- and third-row seats intact; up to 90.9 cubic feet with Acura MDX seats folded down.
Acura MDX Engine & Transmission
The 2017 Acura MDX comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine at 290 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque. This, combined with its nine-speed automatic transmission, makes the 2017 MDX a joy to drive. All trim levels are available in the buyer's choice of front- or all-wheel drive as well. This standard engine gets an estimated 23 mpg combined (20 city and 27 highway).2
Those who select the Sport Hybrid trim will enjoy a smaller 3.0-liter V6 engine, which works in conjunction with three electric motors and a seven-speed transmission to achieve greater fuel economy at an estimated 27 mpg combined (26 city and 27 highway).2
Acura MDX Colors
The 2017 Acura MDX comes in your choice of seven exterior color options:
- Black Copper Pearl
- Crystal Black Pearl
- Dark Cherry Pearl
- Fathom Blue Pearl
- Lunar Silver Metallic
- Modern Steel Metallic
- White Diamond Pearl
Interior color choices include Ebony, Espresso, Graystone, and Parchment.
Acura MDX Customer Reviews - Overall Rating: 4.6 (239 Reviews)3
Pros: Ride and Handling, Interior Space, Cabin Noise
Cons: Fuel Economy, Dashboard, Power
"I recommend my MDX because it's a very comfortable truck with great handling in all weather conditions. The interior is designed well and feels luxurious.”
- 2012 Acura MDX Owner (Owings Mill, MD)
"This SUV is perfect for my family. It offers us a lot of standard luxury items like leather, sunroof, seven seats for passengers, power front seats, plenty of cup holders, and a very roomy interior.”
- 2012 Acura MDX Owner (Orlando, FL)
Acura MDX Rankings
- 9th – Top 15 Cars and SUVs With Third Row Seats (2016)
- 1st – Top 10 Crossovers of 2016
What's New for 2018?
For 2018, the Acura MDX sees a redesigned infotainment system, which now features two screens and a touchscreen with a faster response time. Whereas Android™ and Apple® smartphone integration was an add-on feature in previous model years, this feature now comes standard across all trim levels. Aside from these minor upgrades, the 2018 Acura MDX remains largely unchanged when compared to the 2017 model year.
The Bottom Line
All in all, the Acura MDX makes for an excellent vehicle choice for those who are looking for luxury features inside, a smooth and comfortable ride, and a little power behind the wheel. Combine this with the ample seating space for up to seven passengers and it's easy to see why the Acura MDX is such a popular choice among today's buyers and has received an overall customer review of 4.6/5!
1 Based on CarMax average prices between April 1, 2018 and September 30, 2018. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3Reviews have been edited for brevity, clarity, and grammar.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.