This rugged pickup truck does more than just tow.
These days, light-duty pickup trucks have become increasingly popular due to their utility and practical size. Looking for a pickup truck that offers ample towing capacity and generous space without sacrificing your driving experience in the process? The Dodge Ram 1500 is worth the test drive. Learn more about this popular pickup truck in our Dodge Ram 1500 review.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Many Trims to Choose From
While it's not uncommon to see a few trim options to choose from in a pickup truck, you’ll notice that the 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 comes in a whopping 10 different trim levels for maximum customization.
2. Diverse Engine Lineup
The 2017 Dodge Ram offers three different engines to suit your needs: a base 3.5-liter V6, a 5.7-liter V8, and a turbocharged V6.
3. A Wide Range of Features
There is no shortage of convenient features available even in the base Bighorn and Express trims of the Dodge Ram 1500. From 20-inch aluminum wheels, spray-in bed liners, and locking tailgates to a class IV receiver hitch and a seven-pin wiring harness, you'll have all the essentials and then some.
4. Excellent Ride
One of the most common praises the Dodge Ram 1500 receives is its overall ride. Specifically, the 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 is known for its incredibly smooth and quiet ride, even on rough terrain and at highway speeds.
5. Stylish Interior
No matter the model year you choose, drivers and passengers alike will enjoy the spacious interior and high-end materials, including wood trim and leather upholstery in some of the upper trim levels.
What You Need to Know
Dodge Ram 1500 Price1
- 2014-2016: Average CarMax prices less than $27,500.
- 2017-2018: Average CarMax prices less than $29,500.
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Models & Trim Levels
- Bighorn - The Bighorn is the workhorse of the Dodge Ram 1500 trims. Read more about the Bighorn trim.
- Express - The Express offers larger aluminum wheels and foglights. Read more about the Express trim.
- Laramie - The Laramie boasts chrome exterior features and a front bench seat. Read more about the Laramie trim.
- Laramie Limited - This trim offers side-step bars and leather upholstery for a high-end feel. Read more about the Laramie Limited trim.
- Laramie Longhorn - The Laramie Longhorn offers a spray-in bed liner, keyless entry/ignition, and many more features. Read more about the Laramie Longhorn trim.
- Lone Star - The Lone Star boasts features like dual glove boxes for added storage and a touchscreen interface. Read more about the Lone Star trim.
- Rebel - This trim is designed with off-roading in mind. Read more about the Rebel trim.
- SLT - The SLT is a must for infotainment junkies. Read more about the SLT trim.
- Sport - The Sport trim includes a powerful V8 engine under the hood and additional features. Read more about the Sport trim.
- Tradesman - The Tradesman is a simple trim with basic features such as 17-inch wheels and a receiver hitch. Read more about the Tradesman trim.
Dodge Ram 1500 Dashboard & Interior
The 2017 Dodge Ram 1500 is equipped with a standard 5-inch infotainment screen with Uconnect®, though upper trim levels see an upgrade to a larger 8.4-inch touchscreen interface. Both offer user-friendly features, including rapid response times and sensible menu layouts. Drivers and passengers alike will also enjoy the ample leg and head room available in the 2017 Dodge Ram—especially in the larger crew cab version.
Dodge Ram 1500 Colors
If you were to opt for a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500, you’ll have the option to choose from an array of colors such as:
- Black Forest Green Pearl
- Blue Streak Pearl
- Bright Silver Metallic
- Bright White
- Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
- Delmonico Red Pearl
- Flame Red
- Granite Crystal Metallic
- Luxury Brown Pearl
- Maximum Steel Metallic
- Pearl White
- True Blue Pearl
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Engine & Transmission
The Dodge Ram 1500 is available in different engine configurations. The 2017 Ram comes in a standard engine 3.6L V6 at 205 horsepower (which comes in the 2017 Bighorn through Express trims. The Sport, Laramie Longhorn, and Limited trims, come in a more powerful 5.7L V8 at 395 horsepower. A turbocharged 3.0L V6 engine is an optional add-on for all trims except for the Express, Rebel, and Sport in the 2017 model.
Customer Reviews - Overall Rating 4.5/5.0 (603 Reviews)
- Pros: Ride and Handling, Power, Cabin Noise
- Cons: Fuel Economy, Technology & Entertainment
" Powerful truck for a great value, in a market where trucks are becoming increasingly more expensive."
- 2016 RAM 1500 Owner (Roeland Park, KS)
"I had this truck shipped from California to Tennessee because it had all of the options I was looking for. I have been very happy with it and I receive a lot of compliments. Price was fair and my experience with CarMax was very reasonable (fourth-time repeat customer)."
- 2015 Dodge RAM 1500 Owner (Clarksville, IN)
"The power and towing capacity of a full-size truck with the handling and maneuverability of a midsize truck. I have no problem parking this thing in the city or busy parking structures. Models after 2014 have a much more appealing interior design. This is a great truck for the price."
- 2015 Dodge RAM 1500 Owner (Huntington Beach, CA)
Dodge Ram 1500 CarMax Rankings
- 1st - Best Full Size Trucks (2018)
- 1st - Best Pickup Trucks Under $25,000 (2018)
- 3rd - Best Pickup Trucks (2018)
- 6th - Best MPG Trucks (2018)
Click here for a full list of Dodge RAM 1500 rankings.
What's New for 2018?
The 2018 Dodge Ram doesn't see much in the way of significant changes when compared to the 2017 model year, though the 2018 Rebel trim does now offer an off-road package that provides better handling and maneuverability in tough of terrain.
The Bottom Line
All in all, the Dodge Ram 1500 is an excellent choice for those in the market for a light-duty pickup truck that won't disappoint in terms of comfort or style. From its large array of trim options to its diverse engine line-up and spacious interior, the Dodge Ram 1500 has something to offer everyone. Customers far and wide enjoy this pickup truck, giving it an overall score of 4.5/5!
1Based on CarMax average prices between April 1, 2018, and September 30, 2018. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.