Impressive storage space in a sleek, compact design.
Five-seat SUVs (categorized as subcompact crossover SUVs) are growing in popularity for those seeking a nimble, compact vehicle that still offers an ample amount of storage space. As one of the more popular subcompact crossover SUVs, the Honda HR-V SUV is a great vehicle to consider if you are looking for a vehicle that bridges the gap between a sedan and a midsize SUV. To learn more about the Honda HR-V’s great qualities, check out our Honda HR-V review below.
- Reasons to Buy
- What You Need to Know
- Customer Reviews
- Honda HR-V Rankings
- What's New for 2018?
- The Bottom Line
Reasons to Buy
A Magical Amount of Cargo Space.
Considering the Honda HR-V's compact size, the amount of cargo space that it offers is truly impressive. For example, Honda named the second-row seating in the 2018 Honda HR-V SUV the "Magic Seat" thanks to its innovative folding mechanism. When folded down, the second-row seating on the 2018 Honda HR-V folds completely flat, providing 58.8 cubic feet of cargo space. The second-row seating of the Honda HR-V can also be folded up to create a deeper well between the front and back seats if you need to haul taller items. Honda has managed to offer an enormous amount of cargo space in the Honda HR-V that rivals the cargo space of many larger SUVs.
Impressive Fuel Economy.
All trims of the 2018 Honda HR-V are powered by a 1.8-liter i-VTEC® four-cylinder engine that puts out 141 hp and 127 lb-ft of torque. The 2018 Honda HR-V's 1.8L four-cylinder engine gets an EPA estimated 28 mpg city and 34 mpg highway on the front-wheel drive model.1 These are impressive numbers for an SUV, particularly when you consider the amount of cargo space the Honda HR-V offers.
A Stylish Design.
At one time, the aesthetics of many SUVs left something to be desired. Today, though, that is largely no longer the case – especially for the Honda HR-V. It has plenty of curves and lines that all come together nicely, making for a design that really stands out on the road. Add to this eight different color options to choose from on the 2018 model, and you've got a vehicle that really wins points in the aesthetics department.
All the Bells and Whistles.
If the latest technology features are a priority for you, then the Honda HR-V accessories won't disappoint. The EX-L Navi trim of the 2018 Honda HR-V, for example, comes with an array of features such as a Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic, Honda LaneWatch™, a seven-inch touchscreen display, a multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, and much more.
What You Need to Know
Used Honda HR-V Price2
- 2014-2016: Average CarMax price less than $20,500.
- 2017-2018: Average CarMax prices less than $22,000.
2016-2018 Honda HR-V Trim Levels
- LX – On the LX trim of the 2018 Honda HR-V, you can look forward to features such as hill start assist, 12-volt power outlets on the front and second-row seating, remote entry, LED brake lights, a five-inch color LCD screen, and more. Read more about the LX trim.
- EX – In addition to all the features found on the LX trim, the EX trim also offers auto on/off headlights, heated front seats, push button start, a seven-inch display audio touchscreen, a multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, and Honda LaneWatch™. Read more about the EX-L trim.
- EX-L Navi – In addition to all the features found on the EX trim, the EX-L Navi trim also offers a Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition and Honda HD Digital Traffic, leather-trimmed seats, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Read more about the EX-L trim.
Honda HR-V Interior and Exterior
- Honda HR-V Seating Capacity – The second-generation Honda HR-V (2016 to present) has two rows of seats and is able to seat a total of five passengers.
- Honda HR-V Cargo Space – The 2018 Honda HR-V offers 24.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 58.8 cubic feet of cargo space when the rear seats are folded down.
- Honda HR-V Colors – The 2018 Honda HR-V comes in eight different color options. These color options include Milano Red, White Orchid Pearl, Aegean Blue Metallic, Lunar Silver Metallic, Misty Green Pearl, Mulberry Metallic, Modern Steel Metallic, and Crystal Black Pearl.
Honda HR-V Customer Reviews - Overall Rating 4.7/5.0 (3 Reviews)3
Pros: Fuel Economy
Cons: Power, Seat Comfort
"Small enough to parallel park with ease in the city"
- 2017 Honda HR-V Owner (Alexandria, VA)
"Affordable, practical, reliable"
- 2016 Honda HR-V Owner (Los Angeles, CA)
Honda HR-V Rankings
- 8th – SUVs with the Best Gas Mileage (2018)
What's New for 2018?
Very little has changed on the Honda HR-V from 2017 to 2018. On the 2018 model, Honda introduced a new color option – Aegean Blue Metallic. The EX and EX-L Navi trims of the 2018 Honda HR-V also feature a darker color wheel design.
If you're in the market for a subcompact crossover SUV, the Honda HR-V is an excellent option. Thanks to its fuel economy, excellent cargo space, sleek design, and wide array of technology features, the Honda HR-V is an example of everything a subcompact crossover SUV should be. Overall, CarMax customers have enjoyed the Honda HR-V enough to give it an average rating of 4.7/5 stars!
1 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Unless stated otherwise, fuel economy figures are for vehicles with automatic transmissions. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2 Based on CarMax average prices between April 1, 2018, and September 30, 2018. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
3 Reviews have been edited for brevity, clarity and grammar.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.