Think versatility, comfort, and style.
Subcompact SUVs are becoming increasingly popular for people across all walks of life—and especially for growing families. Since its inception in 2016, the Honda HR-V has made quite an impact in just two years’ time. If you're looking for a subcompact SUV that's both practical and fun to drive, the HR-V can be an excellent choice for you.
This Honda HR-V review will cover some of the top reasons to purchase an HR-V. Check out the following sections below for more information:
10 Reasons to buy the Honda HR-V
1. Ample cargo space. Even with all the rear seats intact in the 2016 and 2017 base LX trim, you'll enjoy 24.3 cubic feet of cargo space. Fold those seats down to more than double your cargo space to 58.8 cubic feet. That’s more than enough space for those suitcases and dufflebags for your next weekend adventure!
2. Spacious seating. With enough room to comfortably seat five, this vehicle is ideal for growing families. The rear seats are especially appealing for passengers who need the extra legroom.
3. Quiet, smooth ride.Tight handling and a modest, efficient engine make for a surprisingly quiet and peaceful ride in any road conditions.
4. Generous standard features. Full power accessories, 17-inch wheels, and a rearview camera are just a few of the impressive features that come standard on the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V base LX trim.
6. Reasonable pricing. The Honda HR-V is one of the most affordable subcompact SUVs at CarMax. Average prices for 2016 and 2017 base LX models on our lots are less than $24,000 (as of November 2017).1
8. Ideal family vehicle. With versatile seating and cargo space configurations, this vehicle was designed with the growing family in mind. No matter the year or trim you choose, enjoy Honda’s Magic Seat® and a rear seat that has a reclining back rest.
9. Decent fuel economy. For a vehicle of its size, the Honda HR-V offers fuel economy at an estimated 31 mpg combined city/hwy for both the 2016 and 2017 standard FWD LX trims with 1.8-liter, four-cylinder engines. 2
10. Tech features. The base trims of the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V come with Bluetooth®, a multi-angle rearview camera and infotainment system. In these model years, the EX and EX-L Navi trims offer touch-based systems including a one-touch power moonroof with tilt feature, smart entry and a color display audio interface among other goodies.
What trim options are available?
The 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V come in three trim options including the LX, EX and EX-L Navi. Here’s some more information about each trim from these model years.
Honda HR-V LX
The base HR-V LX includes a wide array of standard features, such as 17-inch alloy wheels and full-power accessories. Cruise control, folding rear seat, Bluetooth® connectivity, and a five-inch display screen also come standard on the base trim, which is quite generous for a vehicle of its class.
Honda HR-V EX
The slightly upgraded HR-V EX boasts rear privacy glass, as well as a sunroof. Keyless ignition and heated front seats are also added features, as are a passenger-side blindspot monitoring system and a slightly larger (seven-inch) touchscreen display.
Honda HR-V EX-L Navi
The top-of-the-line EX-L Navi trim includes all of the above with beautiful leather upholstery, satellite and HD radio, roof rails, and a built-in navigation system. This is ideal for those who do a lot of traveling or like to embark on longer road trips.
What are some of the best Honda HR-V features?
There are a few features that all trim levels of the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V boast and that are relatively unique compared to other vehicles in its class.
The "Magic Seat" is perhaps the most unique and impressive feature included in all trim levels of both the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V. This special folding seat makes it possible to configure rear seating as needed and accommodate storage of longer and more awkward cargo items, such as flat-screen TVs or sports equipment bags.
Large touchscreen displays do not often come standard on vehicles, so the fact that the 2016 and 2017 HR-V base trim includes a five-inch display is quite impressive. The 2016 and 2017 EX and EX-L Navi take things up a notch with an even larger seven-inch display, but the difference is pretty negligible.
Honda HR-V NHTSA Safety Ratings
Both the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V received overall five-star ratings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
Some features of the HR-V include:
- antilock brakes
- a rearview camera
- blind-spot monitoring (in EX and EX-L Navi trims)
Used Honda HR-V 2016 and 2017 pricing at CarMax
Fuel economy: What can you expect?
Which makes and models compare to the Honda HR-V?
The Honda CR-V is slightly larger, making it a good choice for those who need the additional space. The 2017 CR-V has ample space to give backseaters a more comfortable ride. If you're riding in the backseat, you’ll get more than 40 inches of legroom in all trim levels.
A bit pricier than the HR-V, the Toyota RAV4 is a top competitor due to its powerful engine and slightly more spacious and comfortable front seats. The 2017 RAV4 also boasts several trim levels including LE, XLE, SE, Limited, and Platinum (Platinum is new for 2017). The standard engine for all of these trim levels in the US is a gasoline-powered, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 176 horsepower and 172 lb-ft of torque with front-wheel drive.
The Mazda CX-5 is known not only for its spacious interior but for its powerful engine, making it a great choice for those who want a little more power behind the wheel. On the other hand, you might find that the CR-V is a more affordable option and has a roomier back seat.
The bottom line
Overall, both the 2016 and 2017 Honda HR-V make for an excellent choice for those in the market for a spacious, comfortable, and quiet ride in a subcompact SUV. And with all its generous standard features, including its unique space-optimizing "Magic Seat," you can enjoy a number of luxuries at an affordable price. Looking for more? You can research the Honda HR-V or shop for a Honda HR-V at CarMax.
1Based on prices on carmax.com in November, 2017. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.