A potent and agile subcompact SUV.
First coming onto the market at a 2018 model, the Hyundai Kona is a relatively new addition to Hyundai's lineup. However, the Hyundai Kona is considered by many to be one of the best vehicles in the subcompact SUV class, thanks in part to the Kona's potent turbocharged engine option, its upscale interior, and its agile handling. For drivers who need a little extra passenger and cargo space but still want a quick vehicle with a potent engine, the Hyundai Kona is an excellent choice While we currently do not have many of these vehicles on our lots, we look forward selling these at your nearest CarMax location in the future. To learn more about the features and specs of the first and latest generation (2018-present) of this great subcompact SUV, be sure to check out our Hyundai Kona review below.
Key Specs and Features (2018-2019 models)
- The Hyundai Kona offers a maximum of 45.8 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down.
- The 2018-2019 Hyundai Kona can be equipped with a 147 horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine or a 175 horsepower turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine.
- The 2019 Hyundai Kona gets an EPA estimated 30 mpg combined city/highway when equipped with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine.1
Key Features (2018-2019 models):
- The Hyundai Kona comes standard with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto.
- The Hyundai Kona comes standard with a 7-inch touchscreen display.
- The Hyundai Kona comes standard with a rearview camera.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. A Powerful Turbocharged Engine Option
The base model of the first generation Hyundai Kona is equipped with a 147 horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. However, upper trims of the Hyundai Kona come with a much punchier 175 horsepower turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine. Opting for this turbocharged engine option will leave you with an SUV that is quick to accelerate and a real joy to drive.
2. Intuitive Technology Features
The first generation Hyundai Kona offers a wide range of both standard and available technology features. At the center of these features is the Kona's intuitive infotainment system, complete with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It's a system that is responsive and easy-to-use, making it simple to control the Kona's many technology features using either the Kona's intuitive touchscreen or voice commands.
3. A Premium Interior
Hyundai didn't cut any corners when designing the Hyundai Kona's interior, and the results speak for themselves. The Hyundai Kona features a roomy, upscale interior that is complete with premium materials, useful technology, and impeccable attention to detail. If a premium interior is one of your priorities, you won't be disappointed with the upscale design of the Hyundai Kona's interior.
4. Impressive Fuel Economy
For an SUV, the Hyundai Kona offers a level of fuel efficiency that is certainly worth noting. The 2019 Hyundai Kona, for example, gets an EPA estimated 30 mpg combined city/highway when equipped with a turbocharged 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine.1
5. Agile Handling
The Hyundai Kona is a fun SUV to drive, not only due to the impressive acceleration offered by the turbocharged engine but also due to the Kona's smooth, agile handling. The vehicle's suspension soaks up road imperfections, while features such as hill descent control and a locking rear differential are designed for some off-road ability. Most importantly, though, the Hyundai Kona handles turns and tight spaces with a degree of agility that is outstanding for an SUV.
What You Need to Know
2018 Hyundai Kona Models & Trim Levels
The 2018 Hyundai Kona comes available in five different trim levels. These trim levels are:
- 2.0L Essential - The base trim of the 2018 Hyundai Kona, the 2.0L Essential trim features 2.0L MPI Atkinson four-cylinder engine, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, a rearview camera, and more!
- 2.0L Preferred - The 2.0L Preferred trim of the 2019 Hyundai Kona features everything found on the 2.0L Essential trim as well as a heated, leather-wrapped steering wheel, push-button start, a rear park assist system, and more!
- 2.0L Luxury - The 2.0L Luxury trim of the 2019 Hyundai Kona features everything found on the 2.0L Preferred trim as well as a lane keeping assist system, automatic temperature control with automatic window defogger, driver attention assist, standard AWD, and more!
- 1.6T Trend - The 1.6T Trend trim of the 2019 Hyundai Kona features everything found on the 2.0L Luxury trim as well as a 1.6L Turbo-GDI four-cylinder engine, a seven-speed dual clutch automatic transmission, a heads-up display, and more!
- 1.6T Ultimate - The 1.6T Ultimate trim of the 2019 Hyundai Kona features everything found on the 1.6T Trend trim as well as high beam assist, a supervision cluster with 4.2-inch TFT LCD screen, a wireless charging pad, and more!
Hyundai Kona Interior and Exterior
Hyundai Kona Seating Capacity
The Hyundai Kona is a subcompact SUV that is capable of seating up to five passengers.
Hyundai Kona Cargo Space
The 2018 Hyundai Kona offers 19.2 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 45.8 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down.
Hyundai Kona Colors
The 2018 Hyundai Kona comes in eight color options. These color options include:
- Acid Yellow
- Blue Lagoon
- Chalk White
- Dark Night
- Lake Silver
- Phantom Black
- Pulse Red
- Tangerine Comet
Hyundai Kona Engine & Transmission
The first generation Hyundai Kona can be equipped with a 147 hp 2.0L MPI Atkinson four-cylinder engine that is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission or a 175 hp 1.6L Turbo-GDI four-cylinder engine that is paired with a seven-speed dual clutch automatic transmission. The 2019 Hyundai Kona is also available in an all-electric model.
Years in Review
2018 Hyundai Kona - Hyundai first began offering the Hyundai Kona in late 2017 as a 2018 model. This well-rounded new subcompact SUV featured a potent turbocharged engine option, a roomy upscale interior, a wide range of technology options, and smooth, agile handling.
2019 Hyundai Kona - Very little was changed on the 2019 Hyundai Kona. However, Hyundai did begin offering an all-electric version of the 2019 Hyundai Kona.
The Bottom Line
The Hyundai Kona is a well-rounded subcompact SUV that delivers in terms of both style and performance. There's certainly a lot to like about this vehicle, from its punchy engine and agile handling to its classy interior and intuitive technology options. While there are plenty of great vehicles in the subcompact SUV class, the Hyundai Kona is difficult to beat. Looking to learn more about the Hyundai Kona? Check out these related resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.