Style, practicality, and a suite of tech features.
The 2019 Subaru Impreza is the ideal vehicle for the outdoor enthusiast. The Subaru Impreza is a rugged all-wheel-drive (AWD) compact car that comes in both sedan and five-door hatchback variants. The Impreza is one of Subaru's smallest, but still well-equipped sedans, delivering a host of convenience, practicality, and even a bit of luxury if you are looking for a great compact car.
So if you want a go-anywhere compact sedan or hatchback, look no further than the Subaru Impreza. This 2019 Subaru Impreza review will give you all the key information on the 2019 version of this popular compact car:
Key Specs & Features (2019)
- All 2019 Subaru Impreza models feature standard symmetrical all-wheel drive (AWD) and a 2.0L Boxer® engine outputting 152 hp.
- Choose between four-door sedan or five-door hatchback models available across all trim levels.
- Up to 55.3 cubic feet of cargo capacity in five-door hatchback models with rear seats down.
- Standard Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), which applies braking and/or reduces engine torque to adjust the vehicle's path back to where the driver intended.
- Available EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology on all models (standard on Impreza Limited trim).
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Choice of Two Practical Layouts
Can't decide which Impreza is right for you? The 2019 Subaru Impreza comes in both four-door sedan and five-door hatchback layouts. Choose your layout and then choose between the four great trim levels like the well-equipped Impreza base model, upgraded Premium trim, the cool Sport, or the upscale Impreza Limited. The five-door hatchback has 55.3 cubic feet of storage space with the rear seats down, while the sedan features a generous 12.3 cubic feet of space in its trunk. The Subaru Impreza truly has something for everyone.
2. Capable AWD
Subaru is known for its symmetrical AWD system on race tracks and off-road events around the world. You can bring that same AWD off-road prowess to your driveway since it's standard equipment on all trim levels of the Impreza. So whether your weekend trip is heading downtown to see the latest show or past the sidewalk's end, your Impreza will keep you moving in the right direction.
3. Standard Stability
Even beyond the fantastic AWD capability, all Subaru Impreza models come equipped with Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) which detects variations between driver inputs and vehicle direction and applies braking power and/or reduces engine torque to help correct vehicle path. VDC also incorporates a smart Traction Control System (TCS) that is designed to function at all speeds. You can even opt for the Active Torque Vectoring which takes things a step further and improves handling (standard on Sport models).
4. Driver Convenience
So the Impreza has standard AWD and lots of stability features to keep you on the road. But did you know that it's also got loads of other tech? Subaru's EyeSight Driver Assist Technology adds adaptive cruise control, pre-collision braking, lane-departure and sway warning, and lane-keep assist functions to an already impressive lineup of features. The EyeSight technology is standard on Limited models and optional on all other trim levels of the Impreza.
5. Trim Levels Available from Base to Luxury
With the choice of both sedan and five-door layouts, plus four trim levels that are each available with either layout, you can find the right Impreza for any of your needs. The well-equipped base model also comes with a bunch of impressive features, but if you are looking for a more luxurious experience, check out the Limited spec Impreza. Expect a six-way power-adjustable driver seat with leather-trimmed upholstery, eight-inch Multimedia Plus display with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, automatic climate control system with air filtration, and tons more, all as standard.
What You Need to Know
2019 Subaru Impreza Trims
All 2019 Subaru Impreza trim levels are available in sedan or five-door hatchback variants so you can pair just the right equipment with your favorite sedan or hatchback layout:
- Impreza - As with all trim levels, the base model includes Subaru's fantastic Symmetrical AWD system, a multimedia system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus a rear-vision camera and Vehicle Dynamics Control.
- Premium: Upgrade to the Premium and expect 16-inch alloy wheels and interior upgrades like 4G LTE WiFi 1 capability, heated front seats, and a 6.5-inch multimedia infotainment system.
- Sport: The Sport ups the ante with 18-inch alloy wheels, sport cloth upholstery with red stitching, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter handle, plus an even larger eight-inch multimedia system.
- Limited: The top-of-the-line Limited offers buyers standard leather-trimmed upholstery, EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology, LED headlights that adjust to your steering input, an automatic climate control system, and 17-inch alloy wheels.
2019 Subaru Impreza Interior
The 2019 Subaru Impreza comes in four-door sedan or five-door hatchback variants with seating for five across all versions. Base and Premium trim levels feature cloth seating, the Sport trim level comes with sport cloth, and the Limited trim features leather upholstery.
2019 Subaru Impreza Colors
The 2019 Subaru Impreza is available in eight great exterior colors including:
- Crimson Red Pearl (Not available on Impreza Sport)
- Crystal Black Silica
- Crystal White Pearl
- Dark Blue Pear
- Ice Silver Metallic
- Island Blue Pearl
- Lithium Red Pearl (Only available on Impreza Sport)
- Magnetite Gray Metallic
On the inside, you can choose from a variety of interior colors:
- Black Cloth (Impreza and Impreza Premium)
- Black Leather (Limited)
- Black Sport Cloth (Impreza Sport)
- Ivory Cloth (Impreza and Impreza Premium)
- Ivory Leather (Limited)
Can't find exactly the right Subaru Impreza? Check out other great crossovers in the like the Subaru Forester, Subaru Legacy, and Honda Civic. Each vehicle offers a slightly different take on the crossover segment.
Want the AWD turbocharged hatchback Subaru experience, but in a slightly larger package? Then check out the Subaru Forester. The 2019 model year began the Forester's fifth generation and brought a host of great updates. With many of the same rugged go-anywhere features as the Impreza, the Forester adds standard EyeSight Driver Assist Technology, an impressive 76.1 cubic feet of cargo volume, and 8.7 inches of ground clearance to take you wherever you want to go.
Do you love the luxury sedan look with all of the cool Subaru tech? Then Subaru's Legacy is definitely worth a second glance. The Legacy was updated in 2018 and features standard AWD and a larger 175-hp 2.5L four-cylinder or an optional 256-hp 3.6L six-cylinder. The 2019 Subaru Legacy was updated with the EyeSight technology suite as standard on all models, delivering a ton of great technology in a handsome sedan package.
The legendary Honda Civic has been a go-to compact car choice for decades. Offering a host of fantastic trim levels and sedan, hatchback (2017 and newer), and coupe body styles, it has an option for every buyer. Even though the Civic is only available with front-wheel-drive, Honda has made the Honda Sensing system an available option on all trim levels since its 2016 redesign, and standard equipment on all trim levels starting in the 2019 model year. The system consists of lane-keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, road departure mitigation system, and collision mitigation braking system. Late 2017 saw the addition of the sporty Civic Si and the hot hatch Civic Type R.
The Bottom Line
If you want an outdoor lifestyle vehicle to tackle your toughest off-the-beaten-path long weekends, that also has a host of comfort, stability, and convenience features, look no further than the 2019 Subaru Impreza! With four trim levels available across both sedan and practical hatchback body styles, there is an Impreza for everyone. Looking to learn more about the Subaru Impreza and similar vehicles? Check out these related resources:
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.