I needed another vehicle, and decided to get an economy car with the most value for the money. This used 08 Elantra has not disappointed. It handles well, is comfortable, and has been perfectly reliable so far. I got it with a manual transmission which I prefer in a small vehicle. The shifting is a little clunky and could be lighter and more precise, but it is not annoying and is enjoyable to drive.
Gas mileage is better than stated. It's says 26 in town, but I'm getting 30-33 in start/stop driving. I don't have the mileage yet on the freeway.
I would recommend this model to others seeking a high quality economy car that gets good gas mileage, is smooth to drive, and is comfortable.
Things I really like:
* high quality interior materials
* air bags--it's got 10 of them!
* great short turn radius
* the radio has an AUX jack standard!
* feels solidly built and does not rattle
* engine revs smoothly and the 2.0 L has plenty of power
* Easy to drive and handles well.
* Trunk and interior are significantly bigger than they look from outside the car. Everyone is comfortable with plenty of room.
Things I'm not so fond of:
* front end stability (lightly pulling to the side) and vibration highly depend on good alignment, balancing and high quality tires. I fussed with this, and finally got everything right, and now it's very stable in town or on the freeway with no vibration or pulling.
2008 Hyundai ElantraZach - Tennessee05/18/2011
I drive a lot for work and I love the car. I dont mind getting stuck in traffic anymore, the interior is nice, easy to keep clean, the stereo sound system is nice, the A/C keeps you cool no mater how hot.
It can go fast, handles well, is small enough to get any space, and sets you up high enough that you dont feel the speed as much like in many small cars. It also breaks well, and by looking at consumer reports, since 08 they have been rated well.
I drove 6/8 cylinders before and this is my first 4 cyl. It can accelerated good but not like a 6/8. I also dont like that there are no a/c vents in the back. Also, we have the "leather" interior and the back seats have begun to peal, now we do have a car seat but... come on. Any way, sometimes the road noise is kind of high. Also, the truck space is good and the back seats fold down, but the opening between the trunk and the cabin is too small, so you cant use all of the space.
All in all, I would highly recommend this car to anyone. When we bought this new, we test drove a lot of cars. The Elantra seemed better than anything in the price range and so far we have not had to do any repairs.