I searched for this wagon and did a lot of research. I wanted a tdi but found that the Jetta sportwagon was the only diesel wagon available in the US. However the gasoline engine in my passat wagon gets respectable mpg. I'm averaging 27.4 currently combined city and hwy. The handling and performance is extraordinary, it seems to stick to the road and pass with ease. The cabin is well thought out and comfortable on my long daily rural commute. I love this car!
2009 Volkswagen PassatALST - Maryland05/28/2012
A 2009 Passat was purchased to obtain more comfort and power than was offered by our hybrid.
After exploring and test driving a number of cars the Passat was selected for several reasons:
1. Both of us enjoy driving the car -- it is fun to drive and handles and feels solid which is what we wanted;
2. The power meets our needs for getting onto interstates and up mountains with safety and confidence;
3. It is comfortable and has adjustable seats that we desired since the drivers are of different heights and sizes.
4. The gas mileage is acceptable, certainly less than the hybrid, but for highway driving it will be fine.
5. The trunk space is generous and we were able to have a hitch easily mounted for our bike racks.
We used CarMax price data from January 1 through June 30, to compile this list of the best affordable sports cars with average prices under $25,000. This list includes the Nissan 370Z, the Subaru BRZ, and even the Corvette.