A roomy yet nimble hybrid SUV.
First rolling onto the scene in 2016, the Kia Niro stands out in the hybrid SUV market. In the short time that it has been on the market, though, this nimble SUV has gained quite a following. Green-conscious drivers who still want a vehicle that is agile and a real pleasure to drive often find the Kia Niro an ideal choice. To learn more about the important features and specs of the latest generation Kia Niro (2017-present), be sure to check out our Kia Niro review below.
Key Specs and Features
- The 2017-2018 Kia Niro is powered by a 1.6L four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that combine to produce 139 hp.
- The 2018 Kia Niro gets an EPA estimated 49 mpg combined city/highway when equipped with a 1.6L four-cylinder engine and electric motor combination.1
- The 2017-2018 Kia Niro offers 19.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 54.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down.
- The 2017-2018 Kia Niro features a dual-clutch automatic transmission that makes the Niro shift more naturally than most hybrid SUVs.
- The 2017-2018 Kia Niro comes standard with a seven-inch touchscreen display.
- The 2017-2018 Kia Niro comes standard with Andriod Auto® and Apple CarPlay®.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Agile Handling
The Kia Niro provides a smooth, quiet ride and agile handling that drivers are sure to appreciate. Unlike most hybrid SUVs, the Kia Niro is equipped with a dual-clutch automatic transmission that enables smoother, more natural shifting, which goes a long way toward improving the vehicle's handling. If you want a vehicle that is smooth and quiet on the road, you can't go wrong with the Kia Niro.
2. Plenty of Cargo Space
Along with being a stylish subcompact SUV, the Kia Niro also offers more than enough cargo space. With the 2018 Kia Niro, you will have access to 19.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 54.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. This exceptional amount of cargo space is something that you are sure to appreciate on your next vacation or shopping trip.
3. An Upscale Interior
The Kia Niro features a premium interior. The cabin of the Kia Niro is plenty spacious and is also well-designed, featuring premium materials and wonderful attention to detail. Upper trims of the Kia Niro offer leather seat trims, heated front seats and ventilated front seats.
4. Excellent Fuel Economy
Even when compared to other hybrid SUVs, the fuel economy of the Kia Niro still stands out. The 2018 Kia Niro gets an EPA estimated 49 mpg combined city/highway when equipped with a 1.6L four-cylinder engine and electric motor combination.1
5. Useful Technology Features
The Kia Niro offers a wide range of useful and convenient technology features. Even on the base trim of the 2018 Kia Niro, you can still look forward to standard features such as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, a seven-inch touchscreen display, a six-speaker audio system, and much more. Available features for the 2018 Kia Niro include a wireless phone charger, navigation, an eight-speaker premium audio system, and more.
What You Need to Know
2018 Kia Niro Models & Trim Levels
The 2018 Kia Niro comes available in four different trim levels. These trim levels are:
- FE - The base trim of the 2018 Kia Niro, the FE trim features a 7-inch touchscreen display, Andriod Auto and Apple CarPlay, a six-speaker audio system, and more!
- LX - The LX trim of the 2018 Kia Niro features everything found on the FE trim as well as push-button start, roof rails, rear LED combination taillights, and more!
- EX - The EX trim of the 2018 Kia Niro features everything found on the LX trim as well as LED daytime running lights, heated front seats, blind spot detection, and more!
- Touring - The Touring trim of the 2018 Kia Niro features everything found on the EX trim as well as a power tilt-slide sunroof, an 8-speaker premium audio system, a front and rear park assist system, and more!
The 2018 Kia Niro is also offered in a plug-in hybrid model.
Kia Niro Interior and Exterior
Kia Niro Seating Capacity
The Kia Niro is a subcompact SUV that is capable of seating up to five passengers.
Kia Niro Cargo Space
The 2018 Kia Niro offers 19.4 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seats and 54.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down.
Kia Niro Colors
The 2018 Kia Niro comes in nine color options. These color options include:
- Aurora Black Pearl
- Crimson Red
- Deep Cerulean
- Gravity Blue
- Metal Stream
- Platinum Graphite
- Rich Espresso
- Silky Silver
- Snow White Pearl
Kia Niro Engine & Transmission
The latest generation Kia Niro (2017-present) is powered by a 1.6L Atkinson cycle four-cylinder all-aluminum engine, full parallel hybrid system that works in combination with the vehicle's AC Synchronous Permanent Magnet electric motor to deliver a total of 139 hp. It is also equipped with a six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Years in Review
2017 Kia Niro - The Kia Niro first came onto the market in 2017 and quickly gained a following thanks largely to its impressive cargo space, innovative engine and transmission, and upscale interior styling.
2018 Kia Niro - The 2018 Kia Niro was largely unchanged from the 2017 model. However, Kia did equip the 2018 Kia Niro with lane keeping assist in place of the 2017 Kia Niro's lane departure warning system.
The Bottom Line
The Kia Niro is a well-rounded hybrid SUV, and there are plenty of areas where this vehicle really shines. The cargo space of the Kia Niro is exceptional and the styling is eye-catching. If you are in the market for a subcompact hybrid SUV that delivers in each category, the Kia Niro is an excellent vehicle to consider. Looking to learn more about the Kia Niro? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.