Used BMW X5 Plug In Hybrid for Sale
BMW X5 Plug-In Hybrid
The BMW X5 is a midsize luxury SUV that's been in production since 2013. In 2016, BMW released a plug-in hybrid version, known as the xDrive40e, as an optional trim on the X5. Today, the X5 plug-in hybrid is in its second generation of production (2019-present) under the xDrive45e distinction, offering a more powerful V6 engine.
If you're shopping for a luxury SUV that can help you cut down on trips to the pump, the BMW X5 xDrive40e or xDrive45e plug-in hybrid may be right for you. With standard all-wheel drive and seating for up to seven, this midsize SUV has a lot to offer.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
Q: How long does it take to charge a BMW X5?
A: This will vary depending on the specific model year and charging method. For example, the 2015 BMW X5 plug-in hybrid takes about four hours to completely charge on a standard 3-pin plug. However, using a 22kW outlet (such as those found at a plug-in charging location) can reduce the total charging time to about three hours.
Q: What is BMW X5 eDrive?
A: eDrive refers to a setting on the BMW X5 plug-in hybrid that allows the vehicle to be "locked in" at full-electric mode. When set to "auto," the gas engine and electric motor will operate together as the vehicle's computer sees fit.
Q: Do hybrid cars charge while driving?
A: Not all hybrid vehicles do, but the BMW X5 plug-in hybrid does use regenerative braking, which is designed to recharge the battery while driving. Regenerative braking converts kinetic energy from braking into power that can be stored in the vehicle's electric motor.
Q: How does a BMW hybrid car work?
A: A BMW hybrid, such as the X5 plug-in hybrid, is powered by a combination of a traditional gas engine and an electric motor. In the 2017 BMW X5 xDrive40e, for example, a 2.0L four-cylinder engine works in tandem with an electric motor and 9-kWh battery pack. The vehicle's on-board computer determines when to use each component.
Q: What is BMW xDrive?
A: xDrive refers to BMW's all-wheel drive system, which comes standard on all BMW X5s except for the 35i trim. The BMW X5 plug-in hybrid comes standard with xDrive/all-wheel drive.
The BMW X5 plug-in hybrid is not available in different trim configurations, as it is technically a trim of its own within the BMW X5 series. However, specific features offered on the X5 plug-in hybrid have varied from year to year—and some of the highlights of each year are outlined below.
2016 BMW X5 xDrive40e
- Turbocharged 2.0L, four-cylinder engine and electric motor with 3.6kW battery pack
- Standard all-wheel drive (BMW xDrive)
- Panoramic sunroof
- Dual-zone climate control
- Premium vinyl upholstery
2017 BMW X5 xDrive40e
- 2.0L, four-cylinder engine paired with electric motor and 9kW battery pack
- Adjustable suspension dampers
- Rear air suspension
- 14-way power front seats with memory functions
- Navigation system and voice commands
2018 BMW X5 xDrive40e
- Turbocharged 2.0L, four-cylinder engine with electric motor and 9.2kW battery pack
- 19-inch wheels
- 10.2-inch information display
- Nine-speaker sound system
- Extra iDrive item features
2019 BMW X5 xDrive45e
- 3.0L V6 engine with electric motor and 24kWh battery pack
- Blue brake calipers
- Adaptive shock absorbers
- 12.3-inch information display
- Upgraded 10-speaker sound system
The BMW X5 plug-in hybrid is also available with some package add-ons, though these can vary from one year to the next. The 2016 X5 xDrive40e, for example, offers Luxury, xLine, and M Sport equipment packages that offer such features as sport front seats, four-zone climate control, satellite radio, heated front/rear seats, and more.
Reviews for BMW X5 Plug In Hybrid
Comfort in Style and Excitement
Car is comfortable, sporty, and frugal on gas. The Interior is classy and well designed. Quality abounds in materials and workmanship. Cargo room is more than adequate.
- Ride and Handling: Large and heavy SUV but handles like a well-behaved sedan or sports car.
- Fuel Economy: While electric-only range is limited, nightly charges can result in the use of very little gas.
- Technology and Entertainment: Very versatile technology implementation and the entertainment capability is first rate.
- Cost to Maintain: It is a BMW!
- Braking: Regenerative braking takes some getting used to.
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.