Bring us your car and we'll give you a free written offer
Getting a car appraisal at CarMax is quick and easy! They can be done in as little as 30 minutes, and we'll buy your car even if you don't buy one of ours. And each car we appraise is backed with a written offer, good for seven days.
See how your offer is created
Here's how we handle appraisals:
Step one: Bring your car to any CarMax location
- Setting up an appointment isn't necessary, and you can visit anytime during our business hours.
- A CarMax Associate will guide you through our free appraisal process.
Step two: Your car will be appraised by one of our trained CarMax appraisers
- You will receive your offer in as little as 30 minutes.
- The appraiser will check specific conditions that affect your car, such as mileage, its make and model, and any interior and exterior damage. Along with other factors, this will help in determining your offer.
- You can talk to the appraiser anytime while he or she is inspecting your car.
- While your car is being appraised, you're free to browse hundreds of available cars at the store.
Step three: Get a written offer for your car
- The offer will be good for seven days at any CarMax store.
- You can sell us your car or take the offer and think it over.
Step four: Complete the sale
- As payment for your car, you'll receive a bank draft.
- If you decide to sell us your car, be sure to read our checklist of what to bring with you.
About our appraisers
The average CarMax appraiser has been evaluating cars for over five years and appraises thousands of cars each year. As the largest buyers of used cars, each CarMax appraiser completes a thorough, rigorous training program before his or her first car appraisal. In addition, our appraisers attend wholesale auctions to stay informed of current market conditions. This allows them to analyze all the information needed to make you a fair and honest offer for your car.