Elegant and athletic.
If you're on the lookout for a sophisticated compact car that's as modern as it is stylish, the 2020 Volkswagen Jetta is worth more than just a test drive, largely thanks to its re-imagined tech interior and muscular sleek build. It's also available in five trim levels, including the sporty R-Line that's an all-around athlete. If you're someone that relishes the open road and wants to enjoy every mile, and maybe bring some family or friends along for the ride, this is an eye-catching choice.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Volkswagen Jettas on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Volkswagen Jetta with similar features.
Below are average prices for prior model years of the Volkswagen Jetta.1
- 2019 – Average prices less than $18,0001
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Volkswagen Jetta review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta with the 1.4L turbocharged engine and either automatic or manual transmission gets an EPA-estimated 34 mpg combined.2
- 14.1 cubic feet of cargo volume across all trims with 60/40-split-folding rear seats as standard to increase capacity and help carry longer items
- Maximum seating capacity of five passengers
- 1.4L turbocharged in-line four-cylinder TSI® engine with six-speed manual transmission
- 1.4L turbocharged in-line four-cylinder TSI engine with eight-speed automatic transmission
- Car-Net® telematics system with available in-car Wi-Fi capability when you subscribe to a data plan3
- 6.5-inch or eight-inch capacitive touchscreen infotainment display
- App-Connect with Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™, and MirrorLink™
- Automatic post-collision braking system
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert (standard from SE trim level)
The Volkswagen Jetta has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 7th - Best Small Cars (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Drive Mode Selection
If you're getting a Jetta for both work and play, drive mode selection might end up being one of your favorite features. With drive mode selection (standard on SEL and SEL Premium trims), you can pick between four different modes: Normal, Sport, Eco, and Custom. Normal mode will get you through your day to day commute while the sport mode, with its livelier handle on the throttle and more responsive steering, is better suited for your more active weekend driving.
2. Cold Weather Package
A terrific set of features like a heated steering wheel and rear seats will keep you and all your passengers warm during cooler winter weather. Available on SE and R-Line trims and standard on SEL and SEL Premium trims, these features are a thoughtful mix of interior comforts and practical cold weather measures that will make your drive that much cozier.
3. Next Level Light and Sound
The 2020 Jetta is ready to put on quite the sound and light show for you. From the SE trim, a panoramic sunroof will flood your Jetta's cabin with natural light while both SEL and SEL Premium trims have a ten-color ambient lighting feature to match your mood while you drive. With Bluetooth® and smartphone connectivity as standard, plus optional subscription plans that unlock available satellite radio, the 2020 Jetta gives you a drive that's as personal as it is entertaining.4
4. Exterior Design Features
This seventh-generation Jetta (2019 to present) has attractive lines and a head-turning design that will have onlookers staring on the road or even in the parking lot. Its redesign in 2019 not only made it larger but there are also some serious styling updates too. The horizontal lines on the hood, the wrap-around shadow and light that plays across the side sills, and a seriously punchy grille give this car some real presence. If it's style you're after, the 2020 Jetta is a serious contender.
5. Engine Performance
This sedan has just one engine type for the 2020 model year, but when it's a 1.4L turbocharged direct-injection TSI® engine and standard across all trims, you won't be left wanting for much. It's a great match if you're a young professional and are enjoying the freedom of work and weekends equally. For a smooth ride, the eight-speed automatic is a natural choice but if you want the engaging feeling of switching gears, the six-speed manual transmission is also available on S and R-Line trims.
What You Need to Know
The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta is available in five different trim levels: S, SE, R-Line, SEL, and SEL Premium.
- S: Includes manual or automatic transmission, a 6.5-inch touchscreen, a rearview camera, Bluetooth connectivity, Car-Net smartphone integration, a four-speaker sound system, an optional driver-assistance package, and more.
- SE: Adds a panoramic power tilt-and-slide sunroof, V-Tex leatherette seating, dual-zone automatic climate control, KESSY® keyless access with push-button start, driver-assistance features as standard, and more.
- R-Line: Features 17-inch low profile alloy wheels, a gloss black front grille and R-Line bumper with dual exhaust outlets, XDS® cross differential system, and more.
- SEL: Adds drive mode selection, digital cockpit technology, 10-color LED ambient lighting system, wireless charging capability, standard inclusion of cold weather package features, and more.
- SEL Premium: Adds leather seating, an eight-inch touchscreen, discover media navigation system, an eight-way power-adjustable driver seat with lumbar support, and more.
- Black (S and SE)
- Deep Black Pearl (R-Line, SEL, and SEL Premium)
- Habanero Orange Metallic
- Platinum Gray Metallic
- Pure White
- Pyrite Silver Metallic
- Silk Blue Metallic (S, SE, SEL, and SEL Premium)
- Tornado Red (S, SE, R-Line, and SEL)
- BeatsAudio® system with eight speakers and sub-woofer (SEL and SEL Premium)
- 14.1 cubic feet of cargo volume
- Four-door sedan with seating for five
- Heated front-passenger seats as standard from SE trim
- 94.7 cubic feet of interior passenger volume
- Multifunction steering wheel
Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Volkswagen Jetta.
- 2019 – Average pricing less than $18,0001
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Volkswagen Jetta, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Volkswagen Jetta5
The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Volkswagen Jettas with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Volkswagen Jetta.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $609
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at http://www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Volkswagen Jetta
The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta received an overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Volkswagen Jetta you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
An upper-midsize sedan with undeniable appeal for all the room it offers, the Passat's spacious interior can comfortably accommodate all your friends and family while the impressive trunk space makes bringing along your belongings a breeze. The 2018 model introduced a new 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder base engine alongside the optional 3.6L V6 engine available on top-end trims. Some of the conveniences you'll get with a 2018 Passat SE include dual-zone automatic climate control, power-adjustable driver seat, smartphone compatibility, multimedia 6.3-inch touchscreen, and a six-speaker sound system.
- Six trims for the 2018 VW Passat: S, R-Line, SE, SE with Technology, SEL Premium, and V6 SEL Premium
- Driver-assistance features including adaptive cruise control, emergency braking assist, automatic headlights, and a rearview camera
- 60/40-split-folding rear seats, seating for five passengers, and 15.9 cubic feet of cargo storage
- Wolfsburg Edition and R-Line SE trims for the 2019 model year
Thanks to a redesign for the 2016 model year, the 2017–2019 Honda Civic boasts an outstanding choice of body styling and trim levels. The 2018 Honda Civic Sedan is available in six different trim levels—LX, EX, EX-T, EX-L, Touring, and Si—with a broad offering in terms of tech and driver-assistance features making it a worthy consideration if you're looking at the compact sedan market. The following is standard on 2017–2019 models:
- Seating for five across each of the three body styles (sedan, hatchback, and coupe)
- Bluetooth connectivity as standard, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with EX trim and above
- 2.0L or 1.5L turbocharged engines at premium trim levels pumping out 174 hp and 162 lb-ft of torque
- The choice of an automatic transmission (CVT) or an available six-speed manual transmission (LX, EX-T, and Si)
- Standard cargo space of 15.1 cubic feet for the sedan body
The Toyota Corolla is a practical sedan that's now in its 11th generation (2013 to present). Thanks to its broad dimensions and 37.1 inches of rear headroom and 54.8 inches of shoulder room, it will serve you well on your daily journeys, particularly in the carpool lane. Interior comforts, plenty of technology, and driver-assist features allow this car to keep up with your longer journeys too. One thing to keep in mind is that the Toyota driver-assist suite of features, which includes a pre-collision system, dynamic radar cruise control, lane-departure alert, and automatic high beams, became standard across all Corolla trims from 2017 onward. 2017–2019 models include:
- Seven trims: L, LE, LE Eco, XLE, SE, SE 50th Anniversary Edition, and XSE (2017 and 2018)
- Automatic transmission standard across all trims and available six-speed manual stick-shift with SE trim for 2017–2019 Toyota Corollas
- Seating for five passengers and 13.2 cubic feet of cargo space
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Volkswagen Jetta is a thoroughly modern sedan, with plenty of driver and passenger perks to hold your interest. The cargo space, engine build, and athletic chassis will keep you confident in your choice; however it's those fun features, trims, and wow-worthy tech interiors that will keep you smiling from the very first drive.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices from December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fee.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3Requires data plan and compatible device.
4Activation with subscription required.
5RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of December 2019. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.