Packed with performance and laden with luxury.
The Toyota Avalon offers both comfort and style on the road. Featuring an upscale, modern cabin; a robust infotainment suite with premium add-on options; and a powerful 301-hp V6; the 2020 Avalon is a desirable and popular sedan. This car is even available with a hybrid powertrain in matching XLE, XSE, and Limited trims.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Toyota Avalons on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Toyota Avalon with similar features.
Below are average prices for prior model years of the Toyota Avalon at CarMax.
- 2018 - Average prices less than $21,5001
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Toyota Avalon review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Toyota Avalon with 3.5L V6 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 25 mpg combined.2
- Maximum interior cargo volume: 16.1 cubic feet
- Five passengers
- 3.5L V6 engine with 301 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque with FWD with an eight-speed automatic transmission
- Hybrid engine: 2.5L Dynamic Force four-cylinder generating 176 hp
- Nine-inch Toyota Entune™ infotainment display
- Bluetooth® capability
- Four USB ports
- Apple CarPlay® and Amazon Alexa™
- Full-speed range dynamic radar cruise control
The Toyota Avalon has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists.
- 5th - Best Large Cars (2020)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Two Drivetrain Options
The 2020 Toyota Avalon is available with a gas-powered 3.5L V6 or a 2.5L hybrid. Love the standard V6? You'll be thrilled with the base XLE. Want something that fits your green-conscious lifestyle? The 2.5L hybrid has you covered. Whichever engine option your choose, you will enjoy the Avalon's performance on the road.
2. Driver-Assistance Technology
From A to Z, the list of technology features is impressive on the 2020 Avalon. Starting with standard rear cross-traffic alert, the sedan also includes standard blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning with automated emergency braking. These technologies can provide a confidence boost when you drive, making long trips more enjoyable.
3. Sporty New TRD Trim
It's sleek and boasts zippy, nimble handling already. By adding a TRD trim to the lineup, the 2020 Toyota Avalon has the added benefit of a racing pedigree. The TRD badge, short for Toyota Racing Development, is reserved for a sportier, more aggressive drive and an upgraded suspension. And you're going to love the cat-back dual exhaust with polished stainless steel tips for extra style points.
4. A Supremely Quiet Ride
Acoustic noise-reducing windshield and driver and front passenger side windows keep sound from ruining your zen vibe as you cruise down the road in your 2020 Avalon. The JBL® audio system is available at the Touring level and above, complete with 1200 watts and 14 speakers—so your commute, school run, or trip to the store can be as loud or as quiet as you'd like.
5. Robust Suite of Standard Features
The XLE trim on the 2020 Toyota Avalon is actively keeping the dream of the luxury sedan alive. The XLE comes standard with heated power-adjustable side mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, Apple CarPlay, SiriusXM® satellite radio, blind-spot monitoring, and adaptive cruise control. Even at the base level, you can choose between three drive modes: ECO, normal, and sport.
What You Need to Know
- XLE: Includes a nine-inch Toyota Entune infotainment display, LED headlights and taillights, heated front seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa integration, eight-speaker audio system, and more.
- Limited: Adds a sunroof, navigation system with voice activation, 14-speaker premium JBL audio system, driver-seat memory functions, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, leather upholstery, and more.
- XSE: Adds a manual sunshade and power glass tilting and sliding sunroof, black exterior treatments, a rear spoiler, a sport-tuned suspension, paddle shifters, and microsuede seat inserts.
- TRD: Includes black-painted aerodynamic elements, upgraded brakes, matte black wheels, a sport exhaust, sportier suspension tuning, and red seat belts and stitching. A navigation system with voice activation is optional.
- Touring: Comes with all of the Limited and XSE upgrades, plus an adaptive suspension, active noise cancellation, and simulated-leather upholstery with microsuede inserts.
- Brownstone (XLE, XSE, Touring, Limited)
- Celestial Silver Metallic
- Harbor Gray Metallic (XLE, XSE, Touring, Limited)
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Opulent Amber (XLE, Limited)
- Parisian Night Pearl (XLE, XSE, Touring, Limited)
- Ruby Flare Pearl (XLE, XSE, Touring, Limited)
- Supersonic Red (TRD)
- Wind Chill Pearl
- Infotainment system featuring four USB ports, Apple CarPlay, Amazon Alexa, Bluetooth, and more
- 16.1 cubic feet of trunk space
- 60/40-split-folding rear seat
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with air filter and rear-seat vents
Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Toyota Avalon is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Toyota Avalon.
- 2018 - Average prices less than $21,5001
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Toyota Avalon, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the Toyota Avalon3
The 2020 Toyota Avalon is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Toyota Avalons with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Toyota Avalon.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $462.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010-2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Toyota Avalon
The 2020 Toyota Avalon received overall five-star safety ratings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Toyota Avalon, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The 2019 Camry offers two engine options: the standard 2.5L four-cylinder engine, or a 3.5L V6 engine, which is available on the XLE and XSE trims. With a number of driver-assistance and tech features alongside thoughtful updates designed to add confidence to every drive, the Camry is a must-see on your sedan list. For the 2019 model, the following features are standard:
- Amazon Alexa connectivity and Apple CarPlay technology
- Lane-departure alert with steering assistance
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward-collision warning system with automatic emergency braking
Quiet and comfortable on the road, the 2019 Honda Accord provides the space you need to carry on important adult conversations. It's a fantastic vehicle for young professionals, commuters, or those of you looking for a smart runaround. Look for these standard features on 2017-2019 models:
- Turbocharged 1.5L four-cylinder engine
- Bluetooth capability
- Seven-inch touchscreen
- Lane-keeping assistance
The 2017-2019 Toyota Corolla is available in six well-appointed trims and includes a long list of standard features. Do you long for a manual transmission? The 2019 Corolla SE is available in a six-speed manual or dynamic-shift CVT. On 2019 models, the following features are standard:
- Adaptive cruise control
- Forward-collision warning
- Six-speaker audio system
- USB port
The Bottom Line
Whether you need a professional vehicle that offers luxury and plush comfort, or a family car that you can be proud to drive for a formal night out, you'll be thrilled to have the 2020 Toyota Avalon gracing your driveway or parking spot. If you're seeking a large sedan with multiple luxury touch points, the Avalon could be the right car for you.
To learn more about cars in this class, check out these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices from December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of December 1, 2019. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.