A stylish exterior meets an adaptable cabin.
If you're looking for a subcompact SUV with attractive styling, around-town pep, and a versatile cabin, the Chevrolet Trailblazer could be the vehicle for you. Returning after a 12-year hiatus, the Trailblazer is back with a bold design, two turbocharged engine options, and plenty of features, making this a great SUV for a wide range of driving needs. If that includes dirt roads and gravel paths, you'll appreciate the ACTIV trim's specially tuned shock absorbers and underbody shielding, so you can get out and explore in the 2021 Trailblazer.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer review:
Key Specs and Features:
- The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer with FWD, turbocharged 1.3L engine, and CVT gets an EPA-estimated 31 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer with FWD, turbocharged 1.2L engine, and CVT gets an EPA-estimated 29 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer with AWD, turbocharged 1.3L engine, and nine-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 28 mpg combined.1
- 25.3 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in place
- 54.4 cubic feet of cargo space by folding the second row
- The 2021 Chevy Trailblazer's towing capacity is an estimated 1,000 lbs. with either the turbocharged 1.2L three-cylinder engine or the turbocharged 1.3L three-cylinder engine, when properly equipped.2
- Five passengers
- Turbocharged 1.2L three-cylinder (137 hp and 166 lb.-ft. of torque) with a CVT
- Turbocharged 1.3L three-cylinder (155 hp and 174 lb.-ft. of torque) with a CVT or nine-speed automatic transmission
- Teen Driver technology
- Infotainment system with a seven-inch touchscreen display
- Available eight-inch touchscreen display (ACTIV and RS trims)
- Available Bose® seven-speaker audio system (ACTIV and RS trims)
- Available Bluetooth®, Apple CarPlay®, and Android Auto™ connectivity
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Snazzy Style
If you're looking for a subcompact SUV with lots of spunk, the 2021 Chevy Trailblazer is sure to grab your attention. Sporting a striking appearance with sculpted lines and bold proportions, this SUV has a daring personality with a fresh, modern vibe. With 10 exterior Chevy Trailblazer colors, you can select a hue to suit your taste, while the standard two-tone roof on ACTIV and RS trims is a playful way to stand out from the crowd. Other details, like customized stitching in the 2021 Trailblazer ACTIV and RS trims, elevate this SUV's cabin from ordinary to outstanding.
2. Flexible Interior
Whether you're whizzing through the city or exploring the outskirts, the Chevy Trailblazer interior is versatile for cargo and passengers. With 40.9 inches of front-seat legroom and 39.4 inches in the back, your friends and family will ride comfortably no matter where they sit. An available flat-folding front passenger seat (2021 Trailblazer LS and higher trims) and a 40/60 split-folding second-row seat allow you to carry items up to 8.5 feet long, such as a kayak or skis. The cargo area also features a gate on each side to hold smaller items, like groceries, or you can fit a set of golf clubs by removing the gates. Maximum cargo capacity in the 2021 Trailblazer is an impressive 54.4 cubic feet.
3. Turbocharged Power
The 2021 Trailblazer offers two turbocharged ECOTEC® three-cylinder engines - a 1.2L and a 1.3L. The 137-hp 1.2L comes standard on L, LS, and LT trims with front-wheel drive only and is equipped with a CVT. If you'd like more traction for tough conditions, the 1.3L engine (optional on 2021 Trailblazer LS and LT or standard on ACTIV and RS) is available with all-wheel drive. The all-wheel drivetrain replaces the standard CVT with a nine-speed automatic transmission; plus, the 1.3L features three drive modes (Normal, Sport, and Snow) for customized dynamics. Whether commuting to the office or road-tripping with friends, the 2021 Trailblazer can get you where you want to go.
4. Adventurous Spirit
If your travels straddle paved roads and dirt paths, the 2021 Trailblazer ACTIV is at home on the highway or the campsite. Special shock tuning and 17-inch high-gloss black machined-aluminum wheels can give you the confidence to venture beyond the asphalt, while sturdy side cladding and a functional skid plate are designed to offer added protection from dirt and debris. The 2021 ACTIV trim comes standard with the 155-hp 1.3L three-cylinder engine with 174 lb.-ft. of torque and available all-wheel drive, so you can get out there and explore.
5. Helpful Technology
All 2021 Trailblazers come standard with an infotainment system and seven-inch touchscreen display, which lets you stream Bluetooth audio from two devices, use voice commands, and access certain smartphone apps with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto capabilities. A rearview monitor is included on all trims, and there are standard IntelliBeam® headlamps that turn the SUV's high beams on or off according to surrounding conditions. All 2021 Trailblazer models are equipped with standard driver aids, including front pedestrian braking, automatic emergency braking, forward collision alert, following distance indicator, and lane keep assist with lane departure warning.
What You Need to Know
- L: Includes 16-inch steel wheels, power-adjustable manual-folding sideview mirrors, infotainment system with seven-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability, and more.
- LS: Features 17-inch aluminum wheels, 10-way power-adjustable driver seat with power lumbar control, heated driver and front passenger seats, six-speaker audio system, and more.
- LT: Adds LED fog lamps, electronic cruise control, available power panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, available remote start, and more.3
- ACTIV: Includes a skid plate, leather-wrapped shift knob, leather-wrapped three-spoke steering wheel, contrasting roof color, leatherette seats, and more.
- RS: Unlocks 18-inch high-gloss black machined-aluminum wheels, polished round dual-outlet exhaust tips, sporty cloth and leatherette seats with red accents, and more.
- Dark Copper Metallic (LS, LT, and ACTIV)
- Iridescent Pearl Tri-coat (LS, LT, ACTIV, and RS)
- Midnight Blue Metallic (LS, LT, and ACTIV)
- Mosaic Black Metallic (LS, LT, ACTIV, and RS)
- Oasis Blue (RS)
- Pacific Blue Metallic (LS and LT)
- Satin Steel Metallic (LS, LT, ACTIV, and RS)
- Scarlet Red Metallic (LS, LT, and RS)
- Summit White
- Zeus Bronze Metallic (ACTIV)
- All 2021 Trailblazer models offer two rows of seating for five passengers.
- Maximum cargo capacity is 54.4 cubic feet of volume.
- 2021 Chevy Trailblazer dimensions include 39.4 inches of rear-seat legroom.
- ACTIV and RS trims come standard with leatherette upholstery.
- All 2021 models include a center console with two cupholders and an integrated phone slot.
The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer was rated an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
If you want a small SUV with an urban-friendly footprint, the Chevrolet Trax is great for city living. Measuring 167 inches in length, the 2017-2019 Trax is easy to parallel park and navigate through congested streets. 2017-2019 models use a turbocharged 1.4L four-cylinder with 138 hp and 148 lb.-ft. of torque, which connects to a six-speed automatic transmission with front-wheel drive (all-wheel drive is optional). With 18.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row, you'll have room for groceries; folding the rear seats expands capacity to 48.4 cubic feet (2017-2019 models). 2017 and newer Trax LT trims come standard with:
- 16-inch aluminum wheels
- LED taillamps
- Roof rack side rails
- Cloth upholstery
- 110-volt power outlet on rear of center console
With room for up to eight passengers and an engine that's stout enough to pull a boat, the Chevrolet Traverse is a fantastic three-row SUV. 2017-2019 models come standard with a 3.6L V6 that can tow an estimated 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped.2 With all rows in place, you'll have 24.4 cubic feet of cargo volume to carry camping gear, or 70.3 cubic feet by folding the second row (2017 models). On the road, the Traverse delivers a comfortable ride that's designed to soak up bumps as it travels over varying surfaces. The 2018-2019 Chevy Traverse LT Leather includes:
- Heated driver and front passenger seats
- Leather-appointed seating surfaces
- Power liftgate with programmable height adjustment
- Six-way power front passenger seat with power lumbar control
- 10-speaker Bose audio system
Craving some V8 power under the hood of your SUV? The Chevrolet Tahoe has your hauling needs covered. 2017-2019 models come standard with a 355-hp 5.3L V8 that can tow an estimated 8,600 lbs. with 2WD, when properly equipped.2 This three-row SUV boasts a spacious cabin, with room for up to nine passengers in 2017-2019 Tahoe LS trims. If you need help loading gear, the hands-free programmable power liftgate features a sensor under the rear bumper that opens the trunk with the swipe of a foot (standard on the 2017-2019 Tahoe Premier). Standard features on the 2017-2019 Tahoe LT include:
- Heated leather-appointed front bucket seats
- Power-adjustable pedals with memory
- 10-way power-adjustable driver seat
- Nine-speaker Bose audio system
- Forward collision alert
The Bottom Line
The 2021 Chevrolet Trailblazer is a small SUV with a big personality. Stylish good looks are paired with plentiful, flexible space and strong engine performance, letting you expand your horizons and establish new boundaries. Whether you need room for five people or just yourself and your gear, the 2021 Trailblazer is quick to cater.
Looking to learn more about the Chevy Trailblazer and similar vehicles? Check out these related articles:
1 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2 Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3 Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.