Ride in luxury in this fun sports sedan!
The Acura TLX is a well-equipped performance sedan that offers a range of engine, transmission, and drivetrain options to suit a variety of your needs. The TLX is at home at the valet stand or on a winding back road. This Acura TLX review will give you all the key information on the first and most recent generation (2015–present) of this popular sports sedan:
Key Specs & Features (2015-2019)
- Choice of a 206 horsepower 2.4L inline four-cylinder or a 290 horsepower 3.5L V6 engine.
- The four-cylinder engine is paired to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission while the V6 is mated to a nine-speed automatic.
- Seating for five passengers.
- Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive™ (SH-AWD®) is also available with the 3.5L V6 engine across all years.
- Starting in 2018, Acura offered the TLX with the sporty A-Spec package that upgrades the suspension and adds cool interior and exterior upgrades.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Sporty Driving Experience
Driving a luxury sedan doesn't have to feel boring! The TLX delivers race-bred technology from right under its hood. With a choice of potent engines and suspension tuned for long-distance comfort as well as back-road-driving fun, you can't go wrong with a TLX.
2. The Latest Technology
Across the first generation (2015–2019), the TLX offers a variety of features. The Technology Package delivers blind-spot warning, lane-keeping assist and lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning, among other features. Opt for a TLX with the Advance Package, available on all 2015–2019 models, and you'll get forward emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and road departure mitigation.
3. Lots of Standard Features
While the TLX does offer an impressive amount of options via its various upgrade packages, it also offers a bevy of standard features. Starting in 2017, interior features such as 10-way power-adjustable seats and dual-zone climate control will keep you comfortable while you drive. Convenience features like an integrated garage door opener and an automatic rearview mirror will make your drive a little easier.
4. Studio Sounds
Acura has been partnering with award-winning recording engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner to create the ELS Studio® sound system. The TLX has been host to this amazing audio experience throughout its first generation. Opt for a Technology Package-equipped TLX, available on all first-generation cars (2015–2019), and escape into a cocoon of studio sounds featuring all of your favorite music.
5. Available All-Wheel-Drive
All models of the TLX come standard with front-wheel-drive but if you opt for the V6 model, you can find options with Acura's Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD). This system is designed to direct engine power to the wheels that need traction; the result is a planted and capable sports sedan that's also fun to drive.
What You Need to Know
Acura TLX Trims
Finding the right TLX is easy. Each of the three package options described below is available with a choice of four-cylinder and V6 engines, depending on the model year:
- Technology Package: Includes features such as blind-spot warning, lane-keeping assist and lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning. Starting in 2017, interior features like navigation, AcuraLink®, a 10-speaker ELS Studio premium audio system, and GPS-linked climate control were added to the package.
- Advance Package: Only available with the V6 for 2015–2016, this added forward emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and road departure mitigation. Starting in the 2017 model year, Acura added a collision mitigation braking system and front and rear parking sensors to the list of features. Additional options were added in 2018, including LED fog lights, remote engine start, auto-dimming side mirrors, and heated and cooled front seats.
- A-Spec Package: Initially only available on 2018 V6 models, Acura expanded this package to the four-cylinder model for 2019. Exterior features include upgraded steering and suspension tuning, 19-inch wheels, a front lip spoiler and body kit, as well as bigger dual-exhaust tips and badging. Inside, the A-Spec features a new steering wheel and sport seats.
Acura TLX Interior
In addition to a well-appointed cabin, TLX models from 2015–2017 feature a respectable 13.2 cubic feet of trunk space. Newer models, starting from 2018, bump that number up to 14.3 cubic feet.
Acura TLX Colors
The Acura TLX is available in various color options across its first generation (2015–present):
- Basque Red Pearl (2015–2016)
- Bellanova White Pearl (2015–2017)
- Black Copper Pearl (2015–2017)
- Crystal Black Pearl (2015–2019)
- Fathom Blue Pearl (2015–2019)
- Graphite Luster Metallic (2015–2016)
- Lunar Silver Metallic (2017–2019)
- Modern Steel Metallic (2017–2019)
- Platinum White Pearl (2018–2019)
- San Marino Red (2017–2019)
- Slate Silver Metallic (2015–2016)
Acura TLX Engine & Transmission
All model years of the Acura TLX offer a choice between a 206 horsepower 2.4L inline four-cylinder and a 290 horsepower 3.5L V6 engine. The four-cylinder is paired to an eight-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission while the V6 is mated to a nine-speed automatic.
Acura TLX Average CarMax Prices1
- 2014–2017: Average price less than $21,283.95
- 2018: Average price less than $30,452.03
Years In Review
2015 Acura TLX
The first model year of the TLX introduced the popular sports sedan that replaced the Acura TSX and Acura TL models; it offered an impressive list of standard features. Of note, the Advance Package was only available with V6-equipped models during the 2015 model year.
2016 Acura TLX
The TLX was unchanged for the 2016 model year.
2017 Acura TLX
Starting in 2017, interior features like navigation, AcuraLink, a 10-speaker ELS Studio premium audio system, a perforated Milano premium leather interior, and GPS-linked climate control were added to the Technology Package. Additional features like a blind spot information (BSI) system and rear cross-traffic monitor were also added to that package for 2017.
For the 2017 model year, Acura added a collision mitigation braking system and front and rear parking sensors to the list of features included in the Advance Package. Inside it also added LED fog lights, remote engine start, auto-dimming side mirrors, and heated and cooled front seats as optional extras.
2018 Acura TLX
The TLX received styling updates, plus new standard features such as Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ connectivity and AcuraWatch™ technology. Six-cylinder models featured the new A-Spec trim.
2019 Acura TLX
Acura expanded the popular A-Spec trim to the four-cylinder models.
The Bottom Line
The Acura TLX delivers a fantastic mix of speed and style in a handsome package. Depending on the model year, just about every option is available with both engine choices, giving you a practical and exciting experience.
The TLX will impress you as well as your friends and family. So whether you're pulling up to the opera or spending a weekend in the country, the TLX is up to the task!
Find out more about the Acura TLX in this related article:
1Based on CarMax average prices between August 1, 2018 through January 31, 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.