A rugged crossover with a comfortable ride.
Crossover SUVs are great for daily commutes, weekend road trips, grocery runs, and everything in between. If you're looking for a crossover SUV that's big on style and features without sacrificing ruggedness, the Jeep Compass may be right for you. Learn more about this popular crossover SUV in our Jeep Compass review:
- Reasons to Buy
- What You Need to Know
- Customer Reviews
- Jeep Compass Ratings
- What's New for 2018?
- The Bottom Line
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Lots of Leg- and Headroom
The 2017 Jeep Compass offers a surprising amount of head- and legroom for a crossover SUV, even for taller passengers in the rear row of seats. Combine this with wide rear door openings with plenty of head clearance and it's obvious that this vehicle was designed with taller passengers' comfort in mind.
2. Standard Infotainment System
All 2017 trim levels come with some form of Jeep's popular Uconnect® infotainment system. The biggest difference between trims is the size of the touchscreen included (which ranges from five to 8.5 inches) and smartphone integration. Drivers and passengers will enjoy the fully customizable menus and responsive touchscreen for easy use.
3. Ample Cargo Storage Space
The 2017 Jeep Compass offers a nice amount of storage space, especially for a vehicle of its class. With rear seating intact, there is 27 cubic feet of cargo space. This maxes out to nearly 60 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. Combine this with large door storage pockets, a spacious glovebox, and an armrest bin, and you have plenty of options for storage in the Jeep Compass.
4. Off-Roading Capabilities
The Jeep Compass is designed with ruggedness in mind. This is especially true with the Trailhawk trim, which comes standard with all-wheel drive, off-road tires, and a raised suspension to take on any terrain. The Trailhawk also comes with Selec-Terrain®, which assists in climbing over rocky surfaces and steep inclines.
5. Great Customization Options
No matter which trim you select, there are add-on packages to further customize your ride. From the Towing Package to the Cold Weather Package and everything in between, you can add convenient features to enjoy your new Jeep Compass even more.
What You Need to Know
Jeep Compass Average CarMax Prices1
- 2014-2016: Average prices under $16,500.
- 2017: Average prices under $20,000.
Jeep Compass Trims
The 2017 Jeep Compass is available in four trim options:
- Sport - The entry-level Sport trim comes standard with front-wheel drive, a six-speaker sound system, a five-inch touchscreen display, and Bluetooth® connectivity. Read more about the Sport trim.
- Latitude - The Latitude trim comes with a leather-wrapped steering wheel and simulated leather seating, as well as larger wheels and additional package options. Read more about the Latitude trim.
- Limited - The Limited trim comes standard with 18-inch wheels, a larger 8.5-inch touchscreen, smartphone integration, and dual-zone climate control. Read more about the Limited trim.
- Trailhawk - The top-of-the-line Trailhawk comes with standard all-wheel drive, a raised suspension, and off-road tires. Read more about the Trailhawk trim.
Jeep Compass Interior
In terms of 2017 Jeep Compass cargo space, standard rear space with second-row seats intact is 27 cubic feet. With rear seats folded down, drivers and passengers will enjoy about 60 cubic feet of Jeep Compass trunk space, which is pretty competitive for a crossover SUV.
Jeep Compass Colors
The 2017 Jeep Compass is available in nine exterior color options:
- Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
- Diamond Black Crystal Pearl Coat
- Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
- Jazz-Blue Pearl Coat
- Laser Blue Pearl Coat
- Olive Green Pearl-Coat
- Redline Pearl Coat
- Spitfire Orange Clear Coat
- White Clear Coat
Jeep Compass Engine & Transmission
All trim levels on the 2017 Jeep Compass come standard with a 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine at 180 horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque. Each trim is available with all-wheel drive as an upgrade, except for the Trailhawk trim, which comes standard with all-wheel drive and is not available in any other configuration.
Customer Reviews - Overall Rating: 4.1 (186 Reviews)2
- Pros: Fuel Economy, Ride and Handling, Interior Space
- Cons: Cabin Noise, Braking, Power
"This little vehicle is the perfect size if you live in a city but still need something that's comfortable and spacious. It's great on gas and handles like a charm – even for long distances."
- 2015 Jeep Compass Owner (Washington, DC)
"This car is the best car I’ve ever had. It is just the perfect size for my family of four. The gas mileage is even great for a Jeep, which I was worried about before purchasing. I am super happy with my car!"
- 2015 Jeep Compass Owner (Richmond, VA)
"I LOVE this car! I wanted a small SUV and it is perfect — exactly what I wanted and in my price range. I drove it from California to New Mexico and back over with three adults and luggage. We had plenty of space. It was great!!"
- 2012 Jeep Compass Owner
Jeep Compass Rankings
- 8th - Best Compact SUVs under $20,000 (2018)
- 9th - Best SUVs under $20,000 (2018)
- 6th - Top Cars and SUVs for Winter (2017)
What's New For 2018?
The Jeep Compass was completely redesigned in 2017, so the 2018 model year remains unchanged. There are still four trim levels available (the Sport, Latitude, Limited, and Trailhawk) and all come with the same standard 2.4-liter, four-cylinder engine.
The Bottom Line
The 2017 Jeep Compass is a top contender for those seeking a comfortable yet rugged compact SUV. With ample standard features even in its base trim and plenty of add-on packages to customize your ride, the Jeep Compass is a great choice. With all it has to offer, it's no surprise customers rated this crossover SUV with an overall score of 4.1/5!
1Based on CarMax average prices between March 1, 2018, and August 31, 2018. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Reviews have been edited for brevity, clarity, and grammar.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.