A versatile and stylish compact crossover.
The 2020 GMC Terrain is a great midsize crossover with something for almost everyone. From the well-equipped base SL to the luxurious Denali trim level, the Terrain should definitely be on your shopping list. To that wide range of trims, add a variety of cool colors and engine choices and it should be easy to find what you're looking for.
The Terrain can help you tackle your daily commute or serve as a great road-trip partner. While we currently do not have many 2020 GMC Terrains on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. So, if you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the GMC Terrain with similar features.
Below are the average prices for prior model years of the GMC Terrain at CarMax.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 GMC Terrain review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2020 GMC Terrain comes standard with FWD, a 1.5L engine, a nine-speed automatic transmission, and gets an EPA-estimated 27 mpg combined (26 mpg with AWD) city/highway.2
- The optional 2.0L engine with FWD gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg combined (23 mpg with AWD) city/highway.2
- Total cargo space is 63.3 cubic feet with rear seats folded flat.
- Cargo space is 29.6 cubic feet when carrying a full load of passengers.
- The 2020 GMC Terrain's towing capacity is an estimated 1,500 lbs. with the 1.5L engine and an estimated 3,500 lbs. with the 2.0L engine (when properly equipped).3
- The 2020 GMC Terrain can seat up to five people across its two rows of seating.
- The 2020 Terrain comes standard with a 170-hp 1.5L turbocharged four-cylinder.
- An optional 252-hp 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder is available.
- The base SL has a standard seven-inch touchscreen and Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility.
- An optional eight-inch touchscreen (standard on SLT and Denali) is also available.
The GMC Terrain has a strong sales history at CarMax and has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Interior Versatility
All trim levels of the 2020 Terrain have a flat-loading floor, meaning that both the second row and the front passenger seat can be folded flat. This opens up the option to place items that are up to eight feet in length into the Terrain. This makes trips to the grocery store or camp site comfortable and convenient.
2. Available AWD
All-wheel drive is a great option on any SUV or crossover. All trim levels of the 2020 GMC Terrain, except the base SL, can be optioned with AWD. That means peace of mind and more confidence in tough weather for you and your passengers, whether it's just around town or on an epic road trip.
3. Upscale Denali Trim
The Denali trim has been a staple in the GMC lineup for quite some time. Representing the top tier in luxury and equipment, the Terrain Denali is pretty impressive. From a heated leather-wrapped steering wheel to french-stitched leather trim and burnished-aluminum accents, the interior of the Denali is very upscale. Outside, you'll get cool LED headlights, a unique grille, and additional chrome trim. You can even add the Denali Premium package which adds optional features like ventilated front seats, adaptive cruise control, and a surround-view parking camera system.
4. More Driver-Assistance
The latest tech to help you on your day-to-day commute is available right here on the 2020 GMC Terrain. Standard on all trim levels is the GM Pro suite of driver-assistance features. This includes automatic emergency braking, forward-collision alert, following-distance indicator, lane-keep assist with lane-departure warning, IntelliBeam headlamps, and front pedestrian braking.
5. Cool Elevation Edition
The 2020 Terrain is already a cool looking SUV. But if you want to elevate the appearance of your Terrain a bit, check out the aptly-named "Elevation Edition." Available as a package on the SLE and SLT, it comes with 19-inch gloss-black aluminum wheels featuring black GMC center caps with black GMC lettering. There's also a darkened front grille, plus black roof side rails, mirror caps, and exterior badging. That's definitely a great way to make an entrance.
What You Need to Know
2020 GMC Terrain Available Trims
The 2020 GMC Terrain comes in four trim configurations:
- SL: The base trim includes power-adjustable heated mirrors, keyless entry and ignition, a seven-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and more.
- SLE: Similar to the SL, but adds access to optional packages like Driver Convenience, Infotainment, and Driver Alert packages.
- SLT: Adds leather upholstery as well as an eight-inch touchscreen, power driver seat, and dual-zone climate control.
- Denali: The top-trim Terrain includes all of the features of the other trim levels plus a french-stitched leather interior, a heated leather steering wheel, burnished aluminum accents, a Denali premium suspension, LED headlights with signature lighting, and more.
2020 GMC Terrain Available Colors
The 2020 GMC Terrain is available in the following nine colors:
- Blue Emerald Metallic
- Ebony Twilight Metallic
- Graphite Gray Metallic
- Quicksilver Metallic
- Red Quartz Tintcoat
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Smokey Quartz Metallic
- Summit White
- White Frost Tricoat
2020 GMC Terrain Interior
The 2020 GMC Terrain is available with lots of great interior features:
- Base SL and SLE models feature premium cloth seating with four-way manual adjustment for the front seats.
- SLT and Denali trim levels feature perforated leather seating while front passenger seats are both heated.
2020 GMC Terrain Average CarMax Prices1
The 2020 GMC Terrain is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the GMC Terrain.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 GMC Terrain, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 GMC Terrain4
The 2020 GMC Terrain is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used GMC Terrains with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the GMC Terrain.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $557.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 GMC Terrain
The 2020 GMC Terrain received an overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 GMC Terrain, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
If you are looking for a cool midsize three-row SUV, check out the GMC Acadia. The Acadia began production in 2007 and its most recent and second generation started in 2017. The revamped 2017 GMC Acadia comes with a standard 193-hp 2.5L four-cylinder and is available in a five-, six-, or seven-passenger format. An optional 310-hp 3.6L V6 is also available.
Minor trim and package changes happened for the 2018 and 2019 model years. Expect standard equipment on the base 2019 GMC Acadia SL/SLE-1 like:
- Cloth seating with room for seven-passengers
- Smart Slide flat-folding second-row seats
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Remote keyless entry.
The Chevrolet Equinox is a compact crossover with a variety of features and options to suit your needs. The first-generation Equinox arrived for the 2005 model year and the most recent third generation began selling in 2018. The totally redesigned 2018 Equinox seats up to five and comes in both FWD and AWD configurations. The standard engine is a 1.5L four-cylinder outputting 170 hp with an optional 252-hp 2.0L and a 137-hp 1.6L turbodiesel four-cylinder also available. For 2018, expect standard features on the base-model Equinox L trim level like:
- Automatic headlights
- Keyless entry and ignition
- Seven-inch touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
There were no major changes for the 2019 Equinox.
If you are looking for an impressively well-equipped subcompact luxury crossover, check out the Buick Encore! The Encore has been around since the 2013 model year and its first generation ran through the 2019 model year. If you are looking for a great place to start, the 2017–2019 Encore comes standard with a peppy 138-hp 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder as the base engine with an optional 153-hp direct-injected 1.4L turbo engine available. After some cosmetic changes for 2017, and minor updates for the 2018 model year, the 2019 model came with great standard features on the base Encore 1SV like:
- Eight-inch touchscreen infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Six-way power driver seat
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Heated power side mirrors
- 18-inch alloy wheels
The Bottom Line
The 2020 GMC Terrain is an excellent choice in the midsize SUV segment. With a choice of engines and optional AWD, the Terrain is hard to beat. So, if you're looking for a family-friendly crossover with seating for five and some of the finer things in life found on the optional Denali trim, look no further than the GMC Terrain.
Want to learn more about the GMC Terrain and similar vehicles? Check out these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices from December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
3Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.