Compact and extremely functional.
With an upscale interior and excellent off-road capabilities, the 2020 Jeep Cherokee is suited both for your daily commute and for out of town trips with family and friends. It can comfortably seat up to five people and has ample cargo room while also being able to navigate crowded city streets easily thanks to its compact size.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Jeep Cherokees on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Jeep Cherokee review:
Key Specs & Features
- The four-wheel-drive 2020 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.4L, four-cylinder engine and nine-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg combined.1
- Interior cargo volume: 25.8 cubic feet
- Maximum interior cargo volume with back seat folded down: 54.7 cubic feet
- The maximum towing capacity of the 2020 Jeep Cherokee powered by a 2.4L, four-cylinder engine is 2,000 lbs. when properly equipped.2
- The 2020 Jeep Cherokee can seat up to five people.
- 180 hp, 2.4L four-cylinder
- 271 hp, 3.2L six-cylinder
- 270 hp, turbocharged, 2.0L four-cylinder
- Rear parking sensors
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capability
- Available Uconnect® infotainment system
- Automatic headlamps
The Jeep Cherokee has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY
Having the ability to handle different types of road surfaces and weather conditions is very important for any SUV. The 2020 Jeep Cherokee has many capabilities thanks to the special off-road suspension and the available four-wheel drive. Jeep's Active Drive function is designed to automatically activate the four-wheel-drive mode when it detects an unusual road surface in order to improve traction. It also features excellent articulation and high ground clearance, which helps you maneuver more easily when driving on uneven terrain.
2. ADVANCED MULTIMEDIA FEATURES
In addition to being a strong and powerful SUV, the 2020 Jeep Cherokee is also a vehicle that provides a convenient and enjoyable ride for all passengers. It comes standard with an infotainment system that keeps you connected while on the road, along with helping you control and configure various vehicle systems quickly. The Uconnect system supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and can be controlled via voice commands. You can use its seven-inch touchscreen to adjust the car's climate settings, make phone calls, or browse through radio stations.
3. ABUNDANT CARGO SPACE
With that great compact shape, the 2020 Jeep Cherokee still offers ample storage space. The trunk's cargo volume is rated at 24.6 cubic feet, which is enough for several suitcases, all kinds of sporting gear, or any other bulky items you or your family might need to transport. Additionally, there are lots of well-positioned storage options across the cabin. There is also an available hidden cargo floor that further increases the overall cargo capacity.
4. NICE ENGINE SELECTION
With three different engine options, you can easily configure the 2020 Jeep Cherokee to fit your driving habits and needs in the best way possible. You can go for the base 2.4L, four-cylinder engine with 180 hp, or get the more powerful 3.6L, six-cylinder that is available as an option on the Limited trim and standard on the Trailhawk and Overland trims. What's more, there is an available 2.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine on the Trailhawk trim, for a total of 270 hp.
5. ROOMY AND COMFORTABLE CABIN
The spacious and elegantly designed interior is another factor that makes the Jeep Cherokee that much more appealing. The front bucket seats are easily adjustable and can provide the best possible driving position, whereas the 40.3 inches of legroom and 28.5 inches of headroom in the back is more than enough for three people to sit comfortably, even on longer trips. Available features like the heated steering wheel and heated and ventilated front seats further increase the level of comfort.
What You Need to Know
2020 Jeep Cherokee: Available Trims
- Latitude: Comes standard with Uconnect® 4 with a seven-inch display, 17-inch painted aluminum wheels, LED daytime running lights, hill start assist, and much more.
- Latitude Plus: Includes blind-spot and cross-path detection, push-button start, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and an eight-way power driver seat, among other features.
- Limited: Equipped with 18-inch gloss-black five-spoke aluminum wheels, 10 premium speakers, an 8.4-inch touchscreen, rear-cross traffic alert, dual-zone automatic climate control, and much more.
- Trailhawk: Comes with off-road suspension, Jeep Active Drive Lock four-wheel drive, remote keyless entry, tow hooks, and all-terrain tires.
- Overland: Adds leather front and rear seat upholstery, heated front seats, eight-way power-adjustable driver and passenger seats, a navigation system, and much more.
2020 Jeep Cherokee: Available Colors
- Billet Silver
- Blue Shade
- Bright White
- Diamond Black Crystal
- Granite Crystal
- Hydro Blue
- Light Brownstone
- Olive Green
- Spitfire Orange
- Velvet Red
2020 Jeep Cherokee: Interior
- Maximum cargo capacity of 54.7 cubic feet
- Seating capacity of up to five people
- Uconnect infotainment system compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Available leather upholstery, available memory settings for driver seat, rear 60/40-split folding-and-reclining seat, USB ports, and more.
2020 Jeep Cherokee: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Jeep Cherokee is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Jeep Cherokee, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Jeep Cherokee3
The 2020 Jeep Cherokee is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Jeep Cherokees with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Jeep Cherokee.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $520.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Jeep Cherokee
The 2020 Jeep Cherokee received an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Jeep Cherokee, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
A great combination of a daily driver and powerful off-road adventurer, the Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the best mid-size SUVs out there. It can seat up to five people and is available in seven different trim configurations. It comes with an intuitive infotainment system and an upscale interior, as well as available four-wheel drive. Standard features on 2017–2019 models include:
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Uconnect multimedia system with an 8.4-inch touchscreen standard on the Limited trim level
- Remote keyless entry
If you are interested in a compact SUV that's suitable for driving in urban areas, but still has ample cargo space and good off-road capabilities, then the Jeep Compass could be a great choice for you. The 2017 model year underwent a thorough redesign and now comes standard with Uconnect infotainment with a seven-inch touchscreen and smartphone integration. The base model is powered by a 2.4L four-cylinder engine delivering 180 hp, and it can seat up to five people. 2017–2019 models include as standard:
- ParkView® rear backup camera
- Auto dual-zone temperature control
- Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
The Jeep Wrangler is an amazing off-road vehicle characterized by its distinctive rugged looks and ideally designed for conquering the most difficult terrains and road conditions. The 2019 model year comes standard with a 3.6L six-cylinder engine paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission and generating 285 hp. You can choose between a two-door model that seats four or the four-door model for a maximum seating capacity of five. Also on the 2019 model, you'll find these features as standard:
- Uconnect 3 with five-inch display
- Full doors with roll-up windows
- Hill start assist
- Four-wheel drive
- Skid plates
The Bottom Line
Offering an ideal balance between utility and convenience, the 2020 Jeep Cherokee is a great vehicle for anyone looking for a daily driver that can also be used for long-distance trips and off-road adventures. It has ample storage space and a well-designed cabin equipped with convenient tech features; it also boasts a stylish exterior design as an added bonus.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.