A rugged, off-road capable compact crossover.
The 2020 Jeep Compass is a compact crossover that is as capable off-road as it is on the pavement. Even the base model is loaded with connectivity capabilities that will make your daily commute that much smoother. Standard-equipped with front-wheel drive, this five-seater is also available with a 4X4 drivetrain that includes selectable drive modes to help you traverse a range of terrains. The Compass is just the right size if you're looking for a versatile family mover that also excels when playing in the dirt.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Jeep Compasses on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Jeep Compass review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2020 Jeep Compass with FWD, the 2.4L engine, and a six-speed manual transmission gets an EPA-estimated 26 mpg combined highway and city driving according to Fueleconomy.gov.1
- 27.2 cubic feet with the rear seats up
- 59.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded forward
- The 2020 Jeep Compass can tow an estimated 2,000 lbs. with the 2.4L engine when properly equipped (4x4 models only, excluding the Sport trim).2
- Seats up to five passengers
- Its standard 2.4L engine produces up to 180 hp and 175 lb-ft of torque and is paired with either a standard six-speed manual transmission for 4x2 and 4x4 models
- An available six-speed automatic transmission for 4x2 models, or an available nine-speed automatic transmission for 4x4 models.
- Rearview camera
- Uconnect® with seven-inch touchscreen display
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ capability
- Available driver-assist features such a blind-spot monitoring and lane-departure assist
The Jeep Compass has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. A Great Off-Roader
The 2020 Compass offers off-road technology that you'll love. Across the range, a 4X4 drivetrain is available as either an option or standard equipment on every model, even on the entry-level Sport and mid-tier Latitude trims. Vehicles equipped with this feature have a dial mounted on the center stack that you can use to adjust traction, designed to help your Compass maneuver over a range of difficult terrains, including snow, sand, and mud. If you're after some serious off-roading, you'll want to check out the Trailhawk model, which raises the ride height while adding an off-road suspension and crawl model to help it overcome steep or rocky environments.
2. Flexible Cargo Space
With up to 59.8 cubic feet of cargo capacity, the 2020 Jeep Compass offers you abundant room to fit all your luggage and equipment. The rear seats split 60/40 to accommodate longer items while still making room for your rear-seat passengers. It also features a height-adjustable cargo floor that has three levels to help accommodate a wide range of gear and belongings, such as coolers, construction tools, and furniture.
3. Convenient Connectivity
The entry-level 2020 Jeep Compass doesn't skimp on technology features. Every model is equipped with either a seven-inch touchscreen (standard on Sport and Latitude trims) or an 8.4-inch touchscreen (standard on the TrailHawk and Limited trims) as well as the Uconnect 4 infotainment platform. This electronics system features standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability, Bluetooth audio, and voice-command communication, all of which will satisfy you and your passengers' connectivity needs.
4. Panoramic Sunroof
An optional panoramic sunroof will help your passengers take in the scenery on longer drives. This dual-pane sunroof spans the entire length of the Compass' roof, letting in maximum daylight and providing an open-air view from every seat. The rear glass panel is fixed but the front pane slides open to let the wind sweep throughout the car. A power-controlled sunshade also makes it easy to block out the light and add a little extra privacy when you want it.
5. Works with Alexa™
The 2020 Jeep Compass helps smooth the transition from home to the car, making your commutes feel easier. With the optional SiriusXM® Guardian subscription service, you can use any of your Amazon Alexa-enabled devices to communicate with your Compass remotely from the comfort of your own home.4 This cloud-communication capability introduces a range of skills for Alexa to perform, including starting your car to warm or cool the cabin or sending an address to the navigation system, all before you even get behind the wheel.
What You Need to Know
2020 Jeep Compass: Available Trims
- Sport (4x2 and 4x4): Includes 16-inch wheels, cloth seating material, keyless entry, push-button start, six-speakers, Uconnect with seven-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, Bluetooth audio, voice-command operation, two USB ports, selectable drive modes on 4X4 models, and more.
- Latitude (4x2 and 4x4): Unlocks a selection of option packages and adds 17-inch wheels, vinyl-trim seating material, SiriusXM radio, and more.
- Trailhawk (4x4 only): Includes features of the Latitude trim while unlocking additional option packages. Also includes a 115-volt outlet, leather-trimmed cloth seating material, seven-inch color driver-information display, Uconnect 4 with an 8.4-inch touchscreen display, off-road suspension, full-time 4x4 with crawl mode, and auto terrain modes with hill-descent control.
- Limited (4x2 and 4x4): Includes all the features of the Latitude trim and select features of the Trailhawk while adding 18-inch wheels, a windshield-wiper de-icer, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, a heated leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather seating, and more.
2020 Jeep Compass: Available Colors
- Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
- Diamond Black Crystal Pearl Coat
- Granite Crystal Metallic Clear Coat
- Jazz Blue Pearl Coat
- Laser Blue Pearl Coat
- Olive Green Pearl Coat
- Pearl White Tri-Coat (Limited models)
- Redline Red Pearl Coat
- Spitfire Orange Clear Coat (Sport and Trailhawk models)
- Sting Gray Clear Coat (Limited and Trailhawk models)
- Velvet Red Pearl Coat
- White Clear Coat
2020 Jeep Compass: Interior
The 2020 Jeep Compass interior includes:
- Up to 27.2 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the rear seats up and 59.8 cubic feet of storage space with the rear seats folded forward
- Seating for up to five passengers
- Standard Uconnect 4 with a seven-inch touchscreen display or available 8.4-inch touchscreen display
- Available heated front seats (standard on Limited)
- Available ventilated front seats (optional on Limited)
2020 Jeep Compass: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Jeep Compass is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Jeep Compass, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Jeep Compass3
The 2020 Jeep Compass is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Jeep Compasses with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Jeep Compass.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $526.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Jeep Compass
The 2020 Jeep Compass received an overall 4/5 safety rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Jeep Compass, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
This pint-sized crossover may be the smallest of the Jeep lineup but that doesn't mean it skimps on off-road capabilities. Standard-equipped with front-wheel drive, the 2017–2019 Jeep Renegade is offered with an available 4X4 drivetrain that includes selectable drive modes to help it maneuver through complex environments and terrains. This five-seater is offered in Sport, Latitude, Limited, and a rugged Trailhawk trim; the Trailhawk will allow you to enjoy a whole other level of trail-tackling capabilities. Other standard features on all 2017 Jeep Renegade models include:
- 16-inch wheels
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Uconnect infotainment system (optional on 2017 Renegade Sport)
- Auxiliary input jack
- USB port
- 12-volt power outlets
The Jeep Cherokee is the original crossover that delivers off-road handling and capabilities found in trucks but with the comfort and convenience of a family car. It's standard-equipped with front-wheel drive but offered with an available 4X4 drivetrain with selectable drive modes that will enable you to confidently traverse difficult terrains. This five-seater can be found with a range of engine options to suit active lifestyles and other transportation needs. Robust available connectivity features, such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability, and optional advanced driver-assistance features make it ideal if you're after a daily driver that's also up for any extended road trips you have planned. Standard features on 2017–2019 Jeep Cherokees include:
- LED daytime running headlamps
- Power mirrors
- 17-inch wheels
- 12-volt power outlets
- Keyless entry
- Uconnect with five-inch display
- Six speakers
If you're someone that loves the handling of sporty sedans but needs the convenience of a larger vehicle with a taller ride height, the Mazda CX-5 was designed for you. With seating for five, the 2017 CX-5 offers a generous 39.6 inches of legroom in the second row while accommodating up to 30.9 cubic feet of cargo behind the second row. Storage space opens up to 59.6 cubic feet with the 60/40-split rear seats folded forward. In addition, the standard Mazda Connect infotainment system includes a seven-inch touchscreen display and a range of audio and entertainment integration options that will improve your daily commute. Standard features on 2017–2019 Mazda CX-5s include:
- LED headlights
- Keyless entry
- Push-button start
- Air conditioning
- 12-volt power outlets
- Seven-inch touchscreen display
- Four speakers
- Bluetooth audio
- Mazda Connect infotainment system
- Auxiliary audio input
- USB ports
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Jeep Compass is a great option if you're a weekend warrior looking for a rugged daily driver. It's available with a range of technology features that make it ideal for your daily commute to work while its off-roading capabilities allow it to keep up with your adventures off the beaten path.
Looking to learn more about the 2020 Jeep Compass? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
4Requires data plan and compatible device.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.