A stylish and exciting crossover SUV.
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is the crossover SUV that makes everything from simple daily driving to long-haul adventures a pleasant and enjoyable experience. Are you looking for a compact crossover SUV that provides the driving pleasure of a smaller sedan with the size and practicality of a full-size SUV? The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is a great pick for you.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Mazda CX-5s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Mazda CX-5 review:
Key Specs & Features
- In standard two-wheel-drive configuration with the 2.5L four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 can achieve an EPA-estimated 28 mpg combined (25 mpg city and 31 mpg highway).1
- In four-wheel-drive configuration with the same 2.5L four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 returns an EPA-estimated 26 mpg combined (24 mpg city and 30 mpg highway).1
- In four-wheel-drive configuration with the optional 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine and six-speed automatic transmission, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 achieves an EPA-estimated 24 mpg combined (22 mpg city and 27 mpg highway).1
- The 2020 Mazda CX-5 has a cargo volume of 30.9 cubic feet in regular configuration.
- With the rear seats folded, the cargo volume increases to 59.6 cubic feet.
- In four-wheel-drive configuration with the 2.5L four-cylinder engine, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 has an estimated towing capacity of 2,000 lbs. when properly equipped.2
- The 2020 Mazda CX-5 can seat up to five passengers.
- The standard powerplant is a 2.5L SKYACTIV®-G four-cylinder engine producing 187 hp and 186 lb-ft of torque.
- On Grand Touring Reserve models and upwards you get a 2.5L SKYACTIV®-G turbocharged four-cylinder engine, producing 250 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque on premium gasoline.
- MAZDA CONNECT™ Infotainment System
- Seven-inch touchscreen display
- Rearview camera
- Cruise control
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
- Lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assist
5 Reasons To Buy
1. Overall Enjoyable Driving Experience
Mazda is well known for its decades-long tradition of producing exciting cars to drive. And even as a crossover SUV, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 can make any journey that much more fun. Nimble steering is great for roadholding and technical city driving, and the options of four-wheel drive and the turbocharged SKYACTIV-G engine producing 250 hp only adds to the fun. This is a car that you'll find yourself actively wanting to drive. Need to go and grab some groceries real quick? When you realize it's another chance to drive the 2020 Mazda CX-5, you'll be out the door and to the store in no time.
2. Plenty of Standard Features
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 has a lot to offer on its packed feature list. And the best part? So many of these appealing features come standard. You can expect alloy wheels, air conditioning, cruise control, auto on/off LED headlights, a leather steering wheel, the MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment system, and more—all available from standard on the base 2020 CX-5; that's without even getting into what is available on the advanced trim levels. The 2020 Mazda CX-5's ample feature list means you'll have a well-equipped SUV no matter which trim level you select.
3. Stylish Inside and Out
Looks are subjective, of course, but the 2020 Mazda CX-5 is a very attractive car. A crossover SUV with all the style, sleek lines, and presence of a smaller sedan, it's a family car you'll find yourself looking back at when you park and start walking away. And that continues inside; the interior of this car is a very pleasant place to be. Comfortable and with space to stretch out, the 2020 Mazda CX-5 is the crossover SUV that has the luxury features you're looking for.
4. Good Engine Selection
The 2020 Mazda CX-5's two engine options keep things simple, and each one does its job very well. The standard 2.5L SKYACTIV-G four-cylinder engine is good for enhanced efficiency, especially in two-wheel-drive form where it can return an EPA-estimated 31 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg combined.1 Should you require a bit more get-up-and-go, there's the 2.5L SKYACTIV-G turbocharged four-cylinder engine, available only on four-wheel-drive models and with a power output of 250 hp and 320 lb-ft of torque. Both are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, further helping to keep the choice simple. Increased efficiency, or a bit more power? The choice is yours—both engines are great picks.
5. An Easy Ride
As part of that extensive feature list, the Mazda i-ACTIVSENSE® suite of driver-convenience features is now available from standard. That means even on the base model, you get convenience technology like lane-keeping assist with lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, adaptive cruise control with radar, forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, and automatic high-beam control for the headlights. All of the above help make daily driving that little bit easier and give you enhanced peace of mind—and all of the above are standard on the 2020 Mazda CX-5.
What You Need to Know
2020 Mazda CX-5: Available Trims
- Sport - Includes 17-inch alloy wheels, keyless entry, leather steering wheel, Mazda i-ACTIVSENSE® driver-convenience technology, and more
- Touring - Includes heated front seats, automatic dual-zone climate control, Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™, six-speaker sound system, and more
- Grand Touring - Includes 19-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, power sunroof, leather seats, adaptive headlights, powered rear liftgate, and more
- Grand Touring Reserve - Includes 2.5L turbocharged engine, heads-up display, eight-inch touchscreen display, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, and more
- Signature - Includes front and rear parking sensors, wood trim, premium leather upholstery, a 360-degree-view camera, and a navigation system
2020 Mazda CX-5: Available Colors
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Eternal Blue Mica
- Jet Black Mica
- Machine Gray Mica
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
- Sonic Silver Metallic
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
2020 Mazda CX-5: Interior
- Five seats, including 40/20/40-split-folding rear seats
- 103.6 cubic feet of passenger volume
- 30.9 cubic feet of cargo volume or 59.6 cubic feet with rear seats folded down
- Front and rear cupholders
Mazda CX-5 Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years.
Average prices: N/A
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Mazda CX-5, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Mazda CX-5
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Mazda CX-5s with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Mazda CX-5.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.5/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $447.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings- 2020 Mazda CX-5
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 received an overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Mazda CX-5, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Introduced in 2016, the Mazda CX-3 is a funky subcompact crossover that provides all the sleek styling and fun driving experience of the CX-5 but in a smaller package. All models from 2017 to 2019 are powered by a 2.0L four-cylinder engine that outputs 146 hp and is combined with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard, with all-wheel drive available on all trims. The ace up the CX-3's sleeve is how it sips fuel—capable of an EPA-estimated 34 mpg on the highway and 31 mpg combined (2019 two-wheel-drive models).1 Standard features on 2017–2019 model CX-3s include:
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Cruise control
- Air conditioning
- Mazda CONNECT™ Infotainment system with seven-inch touchscreen interface
- Rearview camera
Part of the second generation introduced in 2016, the latter-day Mazda CX-9 is a stylish and ultra-comfortable midsize three-row SUV that provides a premium experience akin to luxury sedans both inside and out. The size means a vast, comfortable interior with up to 135 cubic feet of passenger volume and up to a whopping 71.2 cubic feet of cargo volume with second and third-row seats folded down. Upfront, the 2.5L four-cylinder engine is good for 250 hp and an EPA-estimated 28 mpg on the highway (2019 two-wheel-drive model).1 And as you might expect from a premium-feeling vehicle like this, you get plenty of features as standard—on 2017–2019 models you get equipment such as:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Mazda CONNECT™ Infotainment system with seven-inch touchscreen
- Automatic LED headlights
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert (2018–2019 models only)
This small luxury crossover that manages to drive like a performance sedan provides all the premium features and space that you could want from an SUV. On recent models between 2017 and 2019, the exciting driving experience is provided by a 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 228 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, all fed through an eight-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard with all-wheel drive available as an option. The 2.0L turbo manages an EPA-estimated 32 mpg on the highway (2019 base two-wheel-drive models) and offers up to 101 cubic feet of passenger volume and 27 cubic feet of cargo volume.1 If you fancy some sporty touches, the optional M-Sport package provides sports suspension and paddle shifters. On 2017–2019 models, the following features are included as standard:
- 18-inch wheels
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- BMW iDrive® infotainment system with 6.5-inch display
- Automatic wipers
- Powered rear liftgate
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Mazda CX-5 is the compact crossover SUV that's ready to inject a touch of luxury and fun into your everyday driving experience. It's as practical and comfortable as you could want from an SUV in this segment but with added style and flair on the outside and premium comfort on the inside.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures vary depending on factors like model year, specific trim level, transmission type, engine size, and drive-train. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.