A powerful three-row SUV that's full of features.
The Toyota Highlander is newly redesigned for the 2020 model year, now in its fourth generation. Built on the TNGA-K platform, the vehicle is designed to handle better than ever and provides you and your passengers with a smooth and quiet ride. Flexible seating configurations accommodate up to eight adults, making it great for road trips with friends and family. The robust 3.5L V6 offers plenty of torque for a thrill every time you step on the gas pedal, making each drive a joy.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Toyota Highlanders on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Toyota Highlander review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Toyota Highlander with 2WD, 3.5L engine, and eight-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg combined.1
- The 2020 Toyota Highlander with AWD, 3.5L engine, and eight-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined.1
- Behind the third row, the Highlander offers 16.1 cubic feet of storage space.
- After folding the third row, the Highlander offers 40.6 cubic feet of storage space.
- After folding both the second and third rows, the Highlander offers 73.3 cubic feet of storage space.
- The towing capacity of the 2020 Toyota Highlander with the 3.5L V6 is an estimated 5,000 pounds, when properly equipped.2
- The 2020 Toyota Highlander L and LE grades come standard with a second-row bench and can seat a total of eight people.
- The 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE, Limited, and Platinum grades come standard with two second-row captain's chairs and can seat a total of seven people.
- The 2020 Toyota Highlander is powered by a 3.5L V6 engine producing 295 horsepower and 263 lb-ft of torque, mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission.
Every 2020 Toyota Highlander is jam-packed with the latest technology.
- The L trim includes an eight-inch Toyota Entune™ 3.0 infotainment display, LED headlights and taillights, and Toyota Smart Key.
- The LE adds a power liftgate and blind spot warning with rear cross-traffic alert.
- The XLE adds a 10-way power driver seat, four-way power front-passenger seat, and power moonroof.
- The Limited adds a 120-volt rear power outlet, ambient interior lighting, side mirror puddle lights, and 1,200-watt JBL® stereo.
- The Platinum adds a 12.3-inch infotainment display, adaptive front lighting, digital rearview mirror, head-up display, and automatic windshield wipers.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Driver-Assist Technology
No matter the trim, every 2020 Toyota Highlander includes several driver-assist features as standard. For example, dynamic cruise control is designed to automatically brake and accelerates the vehicle on the highway, and automatic high beams turn off by themselves when oncoming cars are detected. Lane departure is designed to alert you if you drift outside the lane markers, and can actually center the car autonomously.
2. Great Towing Capability
You can add an optional factory-fitted tow package to the 2020 Toyota Highlander, comprised of a heavy-duty radiator, engine oil cooler, and improved fan performance. When installed, the pickup is capable of towing an estimated 5,000 pounds with the 3.5L V6 engine, when properly equipped.2 A Trailer Sway Control function uses the onboard stability control to mitigate unwanted trailer movement.
3. Excellent for Long Distances
The 2020 Toyota Highlander gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg for the V6 AWD model and an EPA-estimated 23 mpg for the V6 2WD model, making it a great choice for a lengthy drive.1 This is due to its innovative powertrain. Plus, one of the highlights of the 2020 Highlander is a standard engine start-stop system. The ignition shuts off when the vehicle comes to a complete stop and instantly restarts when the brake pedal is disengaged, with no additional input needed from the driver. This combined with a comfortable ride will have you booking your next road trip ASAP.
4. Premium Interior
With so many upscale features, the 2020 Highlander has a plush interior that you’ll love sitting in. Padded surfaces utilize softer materials, and there's continuous stitching from the door trim to the instrument panel. In addition, Limited and Platinum grades offer leather upholstery.
5. Cutting-Edge Multimedia
Occupants can enjoy the latest in connectivity in every 2020 Toyota Highlander. Apple CarPlay®, Android Auto™, Amazon Alexa™, Waze, and SiriusXM™ satellite radio are all supported within the built-in infotainment system. In addition, XLE and higher trims add Dynamic Navigation.
What You Need to Know
2020 Toyota Highlander: Available Trims
- L: Includes 18-inch aluminum wheels, three-zone automatic climate control, and LED headlights and taillights.
- LE: Unlocks LED foglights and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob.
- XLE: Adds a 10-way power adjustable driver seat, four-way power adjustable passenger seat, heated front seats, and roof rails.
- Limited: Adds 20-inch alloy wheels, metal door scuff plates, and wood interior accents.
- Platinum: Adds an adaptive front lighting system, heated second-row seats, and a 360-degree bird's-eye-view camera.
2020 Toyota Highlander: Available Colors
- Blizzard Pearl
- Celestial Silver Metallic
- Magnetic Gray Metallic
- Midnight Black Metallic
- Moon Dust
- Opulent Amber
- Ruby Flare Pearl
2020 Toyota Highlander: Interior
- 16.1 cubic feet of storage space behind the third row
- 40.6 cubic feet of storage space with the third row folded
- 73.3 cubic feet of storage space with both the second and third rows folded
- L and LE grades come standard with a second-row bench and can seat total of eight people
- XLE, Limited, and Platinum grades come standard with two second-row captain's chairs and can seat a total of seven people
Toyota Highlander: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Toyota Highlander is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Toyota Highlander, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Toyota Highlander3
The 2020 Toyota Highlander is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Toyota Highlanders with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Toyota Highlander.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $489.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Toyota Highlander
The 2020 Toyota Highlander has not been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you're interested in the 2020 Toyota Highlander, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Honda Pilot three-row crossover is currently in its third generation (2016-present). A generous eight-person seating layout means the whole family can come along for the ride, and a one-touch second-row sliding bench makes getting in and out easy. Both 2WD and 4WD drivetrains are available. Standard equipment on 2016-2019 models includes:
- 3.5L V6 motor
- Intelligent Terrain Management System
- Large center console storage, big enough for a full-size tablet or purse
This second-gen (2007-present) full-size SUV is a proven workhouse. Just look at these statistics: a standard 5.7L V8 making 381 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, 90 percent of it generating at 2,200 rpm. And, the max towing capacity is rated at 7,400 pounds, when properly equipped.2 All 2018 Toyota Sequoias come with:
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Three-row seating
- Siri® Eyes Free voice recognition
- Entune Multimedia system
The modern Nissan Pathfinder was first introduced in 2013, and last refreshed in 2017. Designers gave it a more contemporary appearance, adding the “V-Motion" signature grille, boomerang-shaped headlights, and integrated side mirror indicators. The cabin can fit up to seven adults. Other standard features from 2017-2019 are as follows:
- 18-inch aluminum wheels
- Eight-inch touchscreen display
- Manual reclining 60/40 split middle bench
The Bottom Line
There's no better time to take the 2020 Toyota Highlander into serious consideration, given its redesigned platform, fresh makeover, and addition of the latest tech. This snappy SUV can get you where you need to go in style.
Interested in learning more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.