A three-row SUV built for the journey ahead.
The Dodge Journey is a three-row SUV with lots of attitude. Sporting plenty of great standard and optional features, the Journey will tackle your toughest on-road challenges. So take a look at this multifaceted crossover and discover all that the Journey has to offer. This Dodge Journey review will give you all the key information on the 2019 version of this popular crossover:
Key Specs & Features (2019)
- Three-row seating is standard across all trim levels.
- Cloth seating is standard on the SE Value Package and SE models while leather seating is standard on the Crossroad trim and premium leather is standard on the Journey GT.
- Dual-zone climate control comes standard on the SE Value Package and SE trim, three-zone automatic climate control comes standard on Crossroad and GT models.
- Heated power exterior mirrors come standard on all trim levels.
- 60/40-split-folding second-row seating with Tilt n' Slide™ comes standard on all Journey trim levels.
- 8th - Best Midsize SUVs (2019)
- 9th - Best Small and Compact SUVs (2019)
- 2nd - Best SUVs with 3 Rows (2019)
- 1st - Best SUVs with 3 Rows under $25,000 (2019)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Versatile Storage Options
The Dodge Journey offers a variety of storage options to hold everything you need for a long weekend away or for an epic road trip. You'll find cleverly hidden storage compartments built into the floor, two in the middle row and another in the rear, so you can keep your valuables out of sight. You can also take advantage of the impressive 67.6 cubic feet of cargo capacity (with all of the seats down) on all trim levels!
2. Available All-Wheel-Drive
Want your Journey to take you off of the beaten path? Choose a Journey with available all-wheel drive (AWD) to add a bit more peace of mind. The capable SE, Crossroad, and GT trim levels all come with AWD as an option.
3. Add Some Cool With the GT
Want a bit more attitude in your Journey? While the standard Journey is powered by a 173-hp 2.4L four-cylinder, the GT trim comes with the 3.6L V6 outputting 282 hp. It doesn't end there; you'll get a high-performance suspension and 19-inch wheels as well—plus the GT comes with a ton of standard interior features to up the comfort level.
4. Seats Up To Seven
There's nothing like a great road trip to build some memories that will last forever. That experience is even better with more family or friends. The Dodge Journey has standard three-row seating across all trim levels, so you and six of your closest friends or family can head out into the world on a fantastic journey—no one has to stay home!
5. Ride In Comfort
Even the base Dodge Journey SE Value Package comes with a lot of great features to keep you comfortable. Expect dual-zone climate control, heated exterior mirrors, and automatic headlights. Higher spec trim levels like the Crossroad add leather seating, an 8.4-inch touchscreen, and lots more. The Journey is a great way to make everyone in the family happy out on the open road.
What You Need to Know
2019 Dodge Journey Trims
The 2019 Dodge Journey is available in four trim levels:
- SE Value Package: Well-equipped base model with great standard features like three-row seating, dual-zone air conditioning, automatic headlights, heated exterior mirrors, and cloth seating surfaces. The SE Value Package is front-wheel drive only and is powered by a 173-hp 2.4L four-cylinder engine.
- SE: The SE largely comes equipped with the same features as the SE Value Package, but now you can find optional AWD paired with the larger 3.6L V6 engine.
- Crossroad: Move up to the Crossroad trim and you'll get standard leather seating, a 10-way power adjustable driver seat, 8.4-inch touchscreen, three-zone automatic climate control, interior LED lights, and 19-inch wheels. Like the SE, opt for AWD and you'll also get the 3.6L V6 bundled together!
- GT: The top of the line GT has a great mix of luxury and performance. Expect standard interior features such as premium leather seating surfaces with heated front seats, an 8.4-inch touchscreen, and a six-speaker premium sound system. The GT also comes with cool exterior upgrades including 19-inch wheels and a performance suspension. You also get the 283-hp 3.6L V6 as standard, although AWD is an optional extra on the GT.
2019 Dodge Journey Interior
The Journey has a fabulous mix of luxury, performance, and practicality. With three-row seating standard across all trim levels, you can seat up to seven on your next adventure. Even the base SE Value Package comes with convenience features like dual-zone climate control, automatic headlights, and clever storage options built into the floor. While the SE is largely the same inside, the Crossroad trim adds leather seating and the GT ups the luxury factor with premium leather.
2019 Dodge Journey Colors
The Dodge Journey comes in a variety of ten great color options:
- Blood Orange
- Contusion Blue
- Destroyer Grey
- Olive Green
- Pitch Black
- Vice White
- White Noise
Can't find exactly the right Dodge Journey? Check out other great crossovers like the Kia Sorento, Jeep Compass, and Mitsubishi Outlander. Each offers a slightly different take on the SUV so you can find exactly what you are looking for.
The Kia Sorento was redesigned in 2016 for its third generation with an updated interior and exterior, plus three engine choices including a 185-hp four-cylinder, a 290-hp V6, and a 240-hp turbocharged four-cylinder. Seven-passenger seating is optional on earlier model years between 2016 and 2018 (standard on the 2019 Sorento), as is AWD. The 2016 Kia Sorento still delivers a host of standard interior features including Bluetooth® connectivity, remote keyless entry, and a drive-mode selector. For 2017, Kia added Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay® connectivity to the Sorento, which was followed in 2018 with base model updates like a standard rearview camera and automatic headlights. The 2019 Sorento adds a standard seven-inch touchscreen as well as standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
All-new for the 2017 model year, the Jeep Compass is now in its second generation. The compact SUV from Jeep comes with a 2.4L four-cylinder engine outputting 180 hp. While it might look small in size, it's not short on equipment. For the 2018 model year, which was nearly identical to the newly launched 2017 version, the base Compass Sport comes with standard interior features like a Uconnect™ infotainment system with a five-inch touchscreen, push-start ignition, six-way manual front seats, a rearview camera, and remote keyless entry. For 2019, the Compass was mostly unchanged and remains a fantastic alternative for those looking for a cool small crossover.
The Mitsubishi Outlander began its second generation during the 2007 model year, however, it received a significant refresh for 2016. With cool stuff like a 166-hp four-cylinder engine, 18-inch wheels, three-row seating, and LED lighting standard on all models, the 2016 Outlander has a lot to like. Even the 2017 base ES model includes Bluetooth connectivity, a USB port, and a speaker stereo with steering wheel audio controls. For 2017, Mitsubishi added available all-wheel drive and 2018 added a standard seven-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to the great Outlander. This is a fantastic choice if you're looking for something well-equipped and comfortable to drive.
The Bottom Line
Dodge has cornered the market on the muscle car image, and those looking for a three-row family hauler that keeps some of that attitude should look no further than the Dodge Journey. With a fantastic mix of convenience, luxury, and practicality, this Dodge is ready for any journey that you can throw at it!
Looking to learn more about the Dodge Journey and similar vehicles? Check out these related resources:
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.