Used Ford Expedition EL for Sale
About the Ford Expedition EL
If you've got a large family with serious cargo storage needs, a full-size SUV like the Ford Expedition can be a sensible choice. On its own, the Expedition is one of the largest SUVs on the market—offering standard seating for eight passengers in its third (2007-2017) and fourth (2018-2020) generations.
But what if you're looking for even more space to stretch out and store your stuff? That's when you'll want to take a peek at the long-wheelbase version of the Expedition. Known as the Expedition EL, this massive SUV measures a full 15 inches longer than the traditional Expedition on its 2014-2017 models. On its 2017 model, this equates to a whopping 42.6 cubic feet of cargo space with all three rows intact—maxing out at an incredible 130.8 cubic feet with second and third rows folded down.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
Q: What is the difference between the Ford Expedition EL and MAX?
A: The EL and MAX were originally synonymous and referred to the long-wheelbase version of the Expedition. Beginning in 2018, however, the EL distinction has been dropped and the long-wheelbase Expedition is referred to exclusively as the MAX.
Q: How much can a Ford Expedition EL tow?
A: Towing capacity can vary by model year, engine size, and other factors. However, the 2017 Ford Expedition EL can tow up to 9,200 pounds when properly equipped.1
Q: What engine is in a Ford Expedition EL?
A: For 2014, the Expedition EL is equipped with a 5.4L V8 engine. From 2015-2017, however, the Expedition EL receives a turbocharged 3.5L V6.
Q: What does EL mean for Ford Expedition?
A: "EL" stands for "Extended Length," referring to the additional 15 inches of length offered on Expedition EL models when compared to the standard Expedition.
1Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Ford Expedition EL Trim Configurations
Like the traditional Ford Expedition, the Expedition EL is offered in four trim configurations from 2014 through 2017. The top-tier trim, Platinum, was introduced for the 2015 model year—as was a standard turbocharged 3.5L V6 at 365 hp that replaced the 2014 model's existing 5.4L V8 at 310 hp. Rear-wheel drive is also standard on every Ford Expedition EL, although a four-wheel drive system is optional.
Eight-passenger seating is also included on every Expedition EL model, but optional second-row captain's chairs do reduce seating capacity to seven.
The following trim features are based specifically on the 2017 Ford Expedition EL.
Expedition EL XLT
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Rearview camera and parking sensors
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- Six-speaker sound system
Expedition EL Limited
- Larger 20-inch wheels
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Premium 12-speaker Sony sound system
- Heated front and second-row seats
- Automatic dual-zone climate control
Expedition EL King Ranch®
- Two-tone exterior paint scheme
- Blind-spot monitoring system
- Premium leather upholstery with wood interior accents
Expedition EL Platinum (2015-2017)
- Larger 22-inch polished aluminum wheels
- Wood interior accents
- Power-folding rear seats
Reviews for Ford Expedition EL
Extremely roomy perfect for a large family where everyone gets their own space. Mine has the optional captains chairs in the second row which are perfect for my kids and the third row is extremely roomy, the EL has so much more storage space and completely worth it! She rides very smooth and always looks great on the road. As always with a large oversized SUV gas mileage is not so great but if you can look beyond that you will absolutely love it!
- Ride and Handling: Smooth and very comfortable
- Interior Space: EL is so much bigger and tons of extra space!
- Technology and Entertainment: Very easy to use technology and if you want even more opt for the second row dvd entertainment so worth it!
- Fuel Economy: It’s not half bad considering I get better then some others but as always this is one area you need to consider
I absolutely love love love my car! We have two kids and live in a very small town. So, it's not always a problem of how much gas the car uses because we don't drive too much here at home. But we do travel about once a month and it has been a wonderful car for that. It drives so smooth, plenty of storage room, and the kids love watching movies while traveling.
- Interior Space: It's super nice and comfy, great heating and cooling
- Safety: If we ever got in an accident, I don't think we would get that hurt.
- Technology and Entertainment: Having the gps, awesome sound, and dvd system makes traveling a delight!
- Fuel Economy: I'm not used to such a big car that takes so much money to fill up on gas.
- Visibility: Double- edged but there are a lot of blind spots, so the backup camera is really nice for that.
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.