Ready for your next great adventure.
Versatile and rugged, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator checks the box on pretty much everything you want in a midsize truck. It also adds considerable off-road prowess and a Jeep tradition that speaks to adventures in hard-to-find places. From skid plates to payload capacity and room for five, this new take gives a historic name a fresh spin. If you're shopping for a capable midsize truck, the Gladiator will likely change your perspective and your expectations.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Jeep Gladiator review:
Key Specs & Features:
- The 2020 Jeep Gladiator with the 3.6L engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 19 mpg combined.1
- The 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S trim can handle up to an estimated 1,600 lbs. of payload.
- The 2020 Jeep Gladiator's towing capacity (Sport S trim) is an estimated 7,650 lbs. with the 3.6L engine.2
- The 2020 Jeep Gladiator seats five passengers.
- 3.6L V6 engine making 285 hp and 260 lb.-ft. of torque powers all Gladiator trims.
- Seven-inch touchscreen display (Sport S trim or higher)
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ connectivity available with the Technology Group Package (Sport S trim or higher)
- Rearview camera
- Available blind-spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control (Sport S trim or higher)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Mighty Off-Road Warrior
Off road, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator is trail-friendly and ready for where the pavement ends. Two 4x4 systems are available, starting with Command-Trac on Sport and Overland trims. Rubicon models get a Rock-Trac 4x4 system with locking differentials, limited-slip differential, and sway-bar disconnect. The Gladiator's shortened overhangs also help with approach and departure angles. If you have an adventurous streak, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator will help you find new stories.
2. Strong Engine with Impressive Towing
The Gladiator comes standard with a 3.6L V6 engine that delivers 285 hp. That can be mated to an available eight-speed automatic transmission or the standard six-speed manual. Most impressive is the estimated towing capacity: the 2020 Jeep Gladiator with the 3.6L V6 engine and automatic transmission will tow an estimated 7,650 lbs., when properly equipped.2
3. Jeep Heritage Meets Pickup Truck
Jeep fans will appreciate the heritage of the name “Gladiator"; it was considered perhaps the first true truck for Jeep back in 1963. Since then, there have been others, such as the Scrambler and the Comanche, but the Gladiator truly stands out. Indeed, while the 2020 Jeep Gladiator is based on the Wrangler, significant revisions have been designed for towing, while still offering that famously rugged Jeep style and capability. It also gives you access to the open air, just like the Wrangler.
4. Versatility for Five Passengers
For a midsize truck, the 2020 Jeep Gladiator is a roomy and versatile vehicle that offers a slew of configurations. Back seats fold and lock in place, with secure storage behind the seats. The seats also fold up, with storage underneath. In true Jeep fashion, the hardtop is removable, as are the doors, and the windshield can be lowered. The versatility of a convertible truck just enhances the opportunities for adventure.
5. Smart and Handy Available Technology
Available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity serve as an example of the 2020 Jeep Gladiator's technology possibilities. There's a seven-inch touchscreen display that's also available, and a Technology Package of options made available with the Sport S trim. There's even a 110-volt outlet in the center console, as well as USB ports. The value of the Gladiator's technology doesn't stop at the interior, however: it also includes driver assistance features such as blind spot monitoring, automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control.
What You Need to Know
- Sport: The base model comes with 17-inch steel wheels, a tilt-telescoping steering wheel, cruise control, an eight-speaker audio system, rearview camera, and Bluetooth.®
- Sport S: Standard equipment includes 17-inch alloy wheels, power windows and doors, as well as the availability of optional packages such as Technology and Tow.
- Overland: Standard features add 18-inch alloy wheels, automatic headlights, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and a seven-inch infotainment center.
- Rubicon: Equipment includes a transfer case that allows for lower crawl ratio, locking front and rear differentials, and an electronically disconnectable front stabilizer bar.
- Billet Silver Metallic
- Bright White
- Firecracker Red
- Hydro Blue Pearl
- Granite Crystal Metallic
- Punk'n Metallic
- The 2020 Jeep Gladiator seats up to five passengers.
- Features include a seven-inch infotainment touchscreen, USB ports and a 110-volt outlet.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity is available on 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S models as part of the Technology Package.
- Leather seating surfaces are an available option, as is a premium Alpine® stereo system.
Jeep Gladiator Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Jeep Gladiator is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable.
If you're interested in the 2020 Jeep Gladiator, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
As a midsize truck, the Chevrolet Colorado (Crew Cab) can seat up to five people. The maximum payload volume is 1,581 lbs. Last redesigned for the 2015 model year, the 2017–2019 Colorado has features including driver assistance features like stability control and hill start assist. The Colorado is powered by a 200 hp, 2.5L four-cylinder engine as standard. Most offer a 3.6L V6, with 308 hp. A 2.8L turbodiesel inline four-cylinder also is available. Equipment on 2017–2019 models include:
- 17-inch wheels
- Seven-inch touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (standard from 2018)
- Optional four-wheel drive
Ford revived its long-running midsize truck, the Ranger, for the 2019 model year. In its SuperCrew configuration the Ranger seats five adults. Maximum payload capacity is 1,860 lbs. with the extended bed option, making it great for DIY projects. Standard technology features on the 2019 model include a 4.2-inch radio screen, air conditioning and automatic emergency braking. The Ranger includes the following standard features for 2019:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Six-speaker AM/FM stereo and USB port
- Available remote keyless entry
- Power windows and locks
As a midsize pickup truck, the 2019 Toyota Tacoma (DoubleCab configuration) seats five passengers. Maximum payload capacity for the 2017-2019 Toyota Tacoma is 1,620 lbs. The base engine is a 2.7L four-cylinder making 159 hp – though most models have a 3.5L V6 making 278 hp. Inside the cabin, base model 2017-2019 Tacomas are equipped with a 6.1-inch touchscreen; Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are not available during model years 2017 - 2019. It is available on 2020 Toyota Tacoma models. Standard features for 2017–2019 models include:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Optional rear-wheel drive
- Adaptive cruise control
- Optional leather upholstery (Tacoma Limited)
- Advanced Off-road features on TRD model
The Bottom Line
The Gladiator renews the legacy of a rugged, practical, and versatile Jeep truck — with great off-road capability. The 2020 model delivers all that, with impressive towing and payload capacities, built into that classic Jeep style. Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.