This snazzy SUV is a great choice.
Get things done in style and comfort with this hard-working, easy-driving SUV. Whether you're cruising the highways with the family or picking up a load of potting soil and plants for the backyard, the midsize-but-mighty 2020 Kia Sorento can provide the ride you're looking for.
Kia updated the styling for 2020, sculpting the front and rear bumpers, and revamping the headlamps, fog lamps, and taillights for a more polished look. You can seat up to seven passengers or fold down the two rows of passenger seats to maximize your cargo space. You can also enjoy a nice array of driver-assistance technology and infotainment options. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Kia Sorento review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Kia Sorento L and LX's 2.4L engines with front-wheel drive get an EPA-estimated 22 mpg in city driving, 29 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg combined.1
- The 3.3L V6 engine on the S V6, EX, and SX trims gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg combined.1
- 73.0 cubic feet with all seats folded down
- Up to an estimated 5,000 lbs. with the V6 engine and eight-speed automatic transmission when properly equipped2
- Second-row seats and available third-row seats providing seating for seven passengers
- 40/20/40-split-folding second-row seats
- Available 50/50-split-folding third-row seats
- 2.4L gasoline direct-injection four-cylinder engine (L and LX)
- Six-speed automatic transmission (L and LX)
- Eight-speed automatic transmission (S V6, EX, and SX)
- 3.3L gasoline direct-injection six-cylinder V6 engine (S V6, EX, and SX)
- Side impact and rollover sensors
- Four-wheel ABS and electronic stability control
- Blind-spot collision warning (LX)
- Blind-spot collision-avoidance assist (S V6, EX, and SX)
- Apple CarPlay®
The Kia Sorento has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. EASY RIDING
The 2020 Kia Sorento is known for its comfortable and quiet ride. MacPherson struts and a stabilizer bar in the front suspension plus a multi-link independent rear suspension reduce body roll at higher speeds. Meanwhile, the optional all-wheel drive on the LX and above provides better traction and handling, allowing you to tackle different types of terrain and weather conditions. On top of all this, standard dual-flow damper shock absorbers are designed to let you simply glide over bumps.
2. CABIN COMFORT
You'll feel great in your 2020 Kia Sorento whether you're taking a long drive or running city errands. Standard niceties include illuminated vanity mirrors, a front-door courtesy lamp, and luggage-area lighting, so you're never fumbling around in the dark. Trims LX and above feature a power-adjustable driver seat with two- or four-way power lumbar support to cradle you comfortably while you drive. The standard acoustic front windshield in the LX and above makes for an even quieter ride—allowing you to better hear the six speakers, including two tweeters, in the standard sound system.
3. STANDARD REAR-SEAT HEATERS AND MORE
Drive it your way, with plenty of options among the 2020 Kia Sorento's expansive five trim levels. Are you all about cozy? Standard rear heater ducts spread the warm; on the S V6 trim and above, heated front seats keep you toasty while rear air-conditioning controls maintain everyone's cool. You can go sporty with the EX's sunroof or drive a mobile entertainment center with the SX's Harman Kardon® 10-speaker surround-sound audio system.
4. PLENTY OF DRIVER-ASSIST OPTIONS
Another eye on the road is always helpful, and Kia's DRIVE WiSE can help keep you going where you need to go. The LX and higher trims also provide blind-spot collision warning and rear cross-traffic collision warning. Optional on the LX and standard on higher trims are reverse parking-distance warning and forward-collision warning while EX and SX trims add smart cruise control, lane-departure warning, and lane-keeping assistance.
5. HAUL IT YOUR WAY
The roomy back cargo area can be extended in this versatile vehicle and you have multiple options for seating and storage. Seats in the second and third rows fold down individually, so you can fit in long or bulky belongings; load up those surfboards and head to the beach!
What You Need to Know
2020 Kia Sorento Available Trims
The 2020 Kia Sorento comes in the following trim levels:
- L: Includes 17-inch alloy wheels, projector-beam headlights, LED positioning lights, a seven-inch touchscreen, blind-spot collision warning, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™, and more.
- LX: Includes a 10-way power-adjustable driver seat with two-way power lumbar support, blind-spot collision avoidance, rear cross-traffic collision avoidance, and more.
- S V6: Includes 3.3L V6 engine, eight-speed automatic transmission, heated outside mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators, 19-inch alloy wheels, dual-zone automatic temperature control, leather seat trim, rear-parking-distance warning, forward-collision warning, and more.
- EX: Includes low-profile roof rails, panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, Smart Power Liftgate™ and programmable liftgate-height adjustment, 14-way power-adjustable driver seat with four-way power lumbar support, front fog lights, LED map and cabin lights, and more.
- SX: Includes surround-view monitor, driver-seat integrated memory system, adjustable passenger seats with lumbar support, forward-parking-distance warning, Harman Kardon surround-sound audio system, eight-inch touchscreen, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob.
2020 Kia Sorento Colors
The Kia Sorento comes in nine color options, including:
- Dragon Brown
- Ebony Black
- Everlasting Silver
- Gravity Gray
- Imperial Blue
- Passion Red
- Snow White Pearl
- Sparkling Silver
2020 Kia Sorento Interior
- 73 cubic feet of cargo space with the second- and third-row seats folded down
- Four 12-volt power outlets distributed throughout the vehicle
- Second-row adjustable headrests, armrests, and cup holders
- Rear air conditioner with controls (SV, EX, and SX models)
2020 Kia Sorento: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Kia Sorento is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Kia Sorento, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Kia Sorento3
The 2020 Kia Sorento is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Kia Sorentos with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Kia Sorento.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $533.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Kia Sorento
The 2020 Kia Sorento received an overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Kia Sorento, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Kia's new-for-2020, three-row, midsize SUV is notable for its smooth handling and the way it cushions your ride. This basic trim level boasts loads of convenience features, including available remote engine start, adaptive cruise control, heated mirrors, and premium synthetic seats. The eight-speed transmission with manual mode eats up hilly terrain, while an array of driver-assistance features keeps your Telluride roadworthy. The 2020 LX model includes these standard features:
- 3.8L V6 cylinder engine producing 291 hp
- Electronic stability control
- Seats eight with 60/40-split third-row seat
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane-keeping assist
This SUV boasts seating for seven, with cushy armchairs in the second row and built-in storage to keep your stuff easy to reach and off the floor. The rear bench seat folds down to provide cargo room of up to 78.4 cubic feet across all models. The 2019 model gets an eight-speed automatic transmission with manual mode for those of you who like to be in control as you shift up and down the gears. The 2019 Sedona comes standard with plenty of comfort and convenience features, including power mirrors, illuminated vanity mirrors, and auto-off headlights. The 2019 L model includes the following features as standard:
- 3.3L V6 engine producing 276 hp
- 78.4 maximum cubic feet of cargo space
- Optional second-row captain's seats with Slide-n-Stow®
- Seats seven with 60/40-split-folding rear seats
- Brake assist
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes
This compact crossover SUV is admired as a top family vehicle thanks to its convenience and comfort. It's a five-passenger SUV with 30.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind the seats—or a full 60.1 cubic feet with the second row folded down. This sprightly crossover's optional luggage rack (all models) lets it work hard and play hard too. Opt for heated front seats with driver-seat lumbar support, then sit back and enjoy plenty of legroom and your well-insulated cabin. The 2019 LX model includes these features as standard:
- 2.4L four-cylinder engine with 181 hp
- Six-speed automatic transmission with Sportmatic®
- Up to 60.1 cubic feet of cargo space
- Seats five with 60/40-split-folding rear seat
- Four-wheel ABS
- Electronic stability control
The Bottom Line
When you don't want to sacrifice comfort and style for utility, the Sorento delivers on all of these. The 2020 Kia Sorento has a fresh look that will turn heads, whether you're hauling kids, luggage, groceries, or whatever else you can fit inside. The 2020 Kia Sorento is an excellent SUVs that is ready to haul your family, friends, and gear in comfort and style.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.