A fun commuter car with lots of features.
Do you need a commuter car but want an infusion of style and sophistication? If so, consider the 2020 Mazda Mazda3, a compact car that comes as a sedan or a hatchback. Both body styles come with available all-wheel drive, making the Mazda3 a good choice if you regularly have to tackle inclement weather. All 2020 Mazda3s come with a 186-hp engine that is both peppy and fun to drive, giving you a reason to smile when you get behind the wheel.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Mazda Mazda3s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Mazda Mazda3 review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 model with a 2.5L engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 30 mpg combined in both the sedan and hatchback body styles.1
- The hatchback with the 2.5L engine and optional manual transmission gets an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 29 mpg combined.1
- The 2020 model with a 2.5L engine, automatic transmission, and optional AWD, the sedan gets an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 28 mpg combined.1
- The hatchback with the 2.5L engine and optional AWD gets an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 27 mpg combined.1
- The Mazda3 sedan has 13.2 cubic feet of cargo space.
- The Mazda3 hatchback has 20.1 cubic feet of cargo space.
- The Mazda3 seats five people as either a sedan or hatchback.
- The 2020 Mazda3 comes with a 2.5L four-cylinder engine that produces 186 hp.
- Standard forward-collision warning
- Standard adaptive cruise control
- 8.8-inch infotainment screen
- Bluetooth® connectivity and USB ports
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ are standard on all trims except the base-model sedan
The Mazda Mazda3 has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
- 9th - Best Small Cars (2020)
- 7th - Best Hatchback Cars (2020)
- 8th - Best Manual Transmission Cars (2020)
5 Reasons To Buy
1. PRACTICAL AND FUN COMMUTER CAR
The 2020 Mazda Mazda3 is a great choice if you're looking for a commuter car. The FWD Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 30 mpg combined.1 The 2.5L 186-hp engine, standard on all Mazda3s, is peppy and powerful, delivering plenty of acceleration and passing power for your daily commute.
2. PLENTY OF SPACE
The Mazda3 is a small car, but the hatchback version gives its interior space greater versatility. While the sedan offers 13.2 cubic feet of cargo space, the hatchback has 20.1 cubic feet, even with the rear seats in use. That means that you can load up a stroller, sports equipment, or your groceries without too much worry since the Mazda3 offers the space to accommodate your lifestyle.
3. AVAILABLE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
If you live in a cold, snowy climate, all-wheel drive is a must, but if you don't want an SUV or crossover you still have a handful of great cars to pick from. The Mazda3 offers all-wheel drive on both sedans and hatchbacks, letting you have the style you want and the capabilities you need. All-wheel drive is available on all body styles and trims except the base-level sedan.
4. STANDARD FEATURES
All 2020 models come standard with driver-assist features including lane-departure warning, smart braking, and adaptive cruise control. Blind-spot monitoring is standard on all trims except the base-level sedan. This means that when you're looking for the right 2020 Mazda3 for you, you'll be able to find great features all the way from the base model and up.
5. AVAILABLE LUXURY TOUCHES
The 2020 Mazda3 has many standard features but offers even more luxury with optional upgrades. The sedan is available with leatherette-trimmed seats in the Select trim while leather-trimmed seats are available in the Premium trim for both sedans and hatchbacks. The Premium trim level also offers a moonroof in both body styles.
What You Need to Know
- Mazda3 sedan: Seven-inch display screen, rain-sensing windshield wipers, Bluetooth, lane-keep assist, and more.
- Select package (sedan) or Mazda3 hatchback: Adds Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, leatherette-trimmed seats, available AWD, blind-spot monitoring, and more.
- Preferred package (sedan or hatchback): Adds heated front seats, Bose® 12-speaker audio system, power side mirrors, and more.
- Premium package (sedan or hatchback): Adds leather-trimmed seats, paddle shifters, moonroof, and more. Manual transmission is available for hatchbacks.
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Jet Black Mica
- Machine Gray Metallic
- Snowflake White Pearl
- Sonic Silver Metallic
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
- Seating for five people
- 13.2 cubic feet of cargo space in the sedan and 20.1 cubic feet in the hatchback
- Standard seven-inch display screen and eight-speaker audio system
- Leatherette or leather seats on all but the base sedan
- Rear-seat armrest with cup holders on all but the base sedan
Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Mazda Mazda3 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Mazda Mazda3, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Mazda Mazda32
The 2020 Mazda Mazda3 is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Mazda Mazda3s with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Mazda Mazda3.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 4.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $433.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings - 2020 Mazda Mazda3
The 2020 Mazda Mazda3 has not been rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you're interested in the 2020 Mazda Mazda3, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Mazda Mazda6 is a midsize sedan with seating for five and 14.7 cubic feet of cargo space. The latest generation of the Mazda6 was launched in 2014, but the car was refreshed in 2018. Model years 2018 and later offer updated styling, a turbocharged engine option, and more standard driver-assist features like lane-departure warning and more. You'll find these features on 2018–2019 models:
- Standard 2.5L four-cylinder engine producing 187 hp
- Available 2.5L turbo four-cylinder producing 227–250 hp, depending on gas used
- Standard lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control and more
- 14.7 cubic feet of cargo space (all trims)
The Honda Civic is a compact car that comes in three body styles: coupe, sedan, or hatchback. The most recent generation of the Honda Civic launched in 2016 and the hatchback model was debuted in 2017. The 2019 Honda Civic and later models come standard with Honda Sensing Suite, a driver-assist package that includes emergency braking, lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and more. 2019 models include these features:
- Seating for five
- Up to 25.7 cubic feet of cargo space in the hatchback
- Standard 2.0L four-cylinder 158-hp engine or available turbocharged four-cylinder engines ranging from 174–306 horsepower
- Standard Honda Sensing Suite of driver-assist features on model years 2019 and later (available option on years 2018 and earlier)
The Toyota Corolla is a five-passenger vehicle that is available as a sedan or hatchback (on model years 2019 and later). The base engine for the twelfth-generation (2018 onward) Corolla is a 1.8L four-cylinder that produces 132 hp. A slightly more powerful 140-hp engine is also available across all model years. The 2019 Corolla comes standard with driver-assist features including lane-departure warning and a pre-collision system. The 2019 model also includes:
- Seating for five
- 13 cubic feet of cargo space in the sedan
- 17.8 cubic feet of cargo space in the hatchback
- Standard lane-departure warning, pre-collision system, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high beams
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Mazda Mazda3 is a stylish and fun yet practical commuter car. The fact that the Mazda3 is offered in two body styles and has available all-wheel drive makes it a good choice for drivers who transport equipment or navigate snowy roads regularly. Available luxury options, like leather seats, a moonroof, and a premium audio system further give the Mazda3 an upscale feel.
Want to learn more about the 2020 Mazda Mazda3? Check out these related resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.