An adept SUV for urban adventures.
If you're looking for a small SUV to weave through city traffic and tight spaces, the 2021 Chevrolet Trax is an urban-friendly option. With its quick steering and compact footprint, the Trax provides the agility you want without losing the interior space that you need. This model also offers available all-wheel drive so you can travel with confidence, even in challenging conditions.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Chevrolet Trax models on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Chevrolet Trax with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Chevrolet Trax review:
Key Specs and Features:
- The 2020 Chevrolet Trax with FWD, 1.4L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 27 mpg combined.1
- The 2020 Chevrolet Trax with AWD, 1.4L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 26 mpg combined.1
- 18.7 cu-ft of volume behind the rear seats
- 48.4 cu-ft of volume with the rear seats folded
- Five passengers
- All 2021 Trax models use a turbocharged 1.4L four-cylinder engine producing 155 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque.
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system with seven-inch touchscreen display
- Bluetooth® audio streaming
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ compatibility
- Rearview monitor
- Two USB ports
The Chevrolet Trax has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Agreeable Performance
The 2021 Chevy Trax is a small SUV with a firm ride and steady handling that's great for zipping through the city or cruising on the highway. With the Trax's quick steering, you'll be able to glide through parking lots and side streets with ease. Its smaller footprint also makes this SUV a dream to maneuver. Offered with available all-wheel drive, the 2021 Trax is a capable option for commuting or running errands. The turbocharged 155-hp 1.4L four-cylinder with 177 lb-ft of torque also provides plenty of punch.
2. Tasteful Cabin
From the first moment you climb inside the 2021 Trax, you'll feel at home in its comfortable five-passenger cabin that includes thoughtful touches throughout. Eye-catching contrasting stitching accents the SUV's upholstery and soft-touch materials provide a rich feel to tactile surfaces. The 2021 Trax's high seating position and expansive headroom also add to the cabin's spaciousness. Anchoring the dash is a dual-cockpit that provides attractive symmetry and easy access to the vehicle's infotainment system and controls.
3. Cargo Versatility
The Trax is designed with several reconfigurable features that make cargo management a snap. With all seats in place, the 2021 model offers seating for five passengers and 18.7 cu-ft of cargo volume for luggage or groceries. However, folding the 60/40-split rear seat and the fold-flat front passenger seat transforms the cabin into a cargo hauler that can hold eight-foot long items and 48.4 cu ft of volume.
4. Integrated Tech
The 2021 Chevy Trax keeps the world at your fingertips with the inclusion of numerous integrated tech features. The standard Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system is intuitive and easy to use with a seven-inch touchscreen display offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capabilities. An available 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hotspot also lets you stay in touch while you're on the go, while the standard rearview monitor enhances your visibility while in reverse.2 You can even queue up your favorite road trip tunes using Bluetooth audio streaming for two devices.
5. Available Package Selection
Chevrolet Trax configurations for the 2021 model year include two well-equipped trims, but if you want more bells and whistles, Chevy offers seven incredible packages to spiff up your ride. The Sport Edition adds gloss black accents, including 18-inch aluminum wheels, bowtie emblems, and skid plates for more curb appeal. There's also a Driver Confidence Package with blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and rear park assist to help you on your commute. Need something to cut winter's chill? Look for the Premium Seat Package to gain leatherette upholstery and heated front seats.
What You Need to Know
- LS: Includes 16-inch aluminum wheels, power-adjustable manual-folding sideview mirrors, single-zone manual air conditioning, seven-inch touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, and more.
- LT: Adds LED tail lamps, deep-tinted rear glass windows, cruise control, three-spoke steering wheel with mounted cruise controls, 120V power outlet on the rear of the center console, and more.
- Black Cherry Metallic
- Crimson Metallic
- Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (not available on LS; extra-cost color)
- Midnight Blue Metallic
- Mosaic Black Metallic
- Shadow Gray Metallic
- Silver Ice Metallic
- Stone Gray Metallic
- Summit White
- Five-passenger seating
- 48.4 cu ft of maximum cargo volume
- 60/40 split-folding rear seat and a fold-flat front passenger seat
- Available heated driver and front passenger seats (Premium Seat Package)
- Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot for up to seven devices2
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Chevrolet Trax is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Chevrolet Trax.3
- 2015 — Average prices less than $13,5003
- 2016 — Average prices less than $14,5003
- 2017 — Average prices less than $15,0003
- 2018 — Average prices less than $15,5003
- 2019 — Average prices less than $17,0003
- 2020 — Average prices less than $18,0003
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Chevrolet Trax, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Chevrolet Trax received overall 5/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Chevrolet Trax, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
If you're shopping for an SUV that can handle daily commuting, the Chevrolet Equinox is a comfortable five-passenger option with frugal performance. 2018–2019 models offer an available 137-hp 1.6L turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine that achieves an EPA-estimated 39 mpg highway with front-wheel drive.1 The Equinox's honed exterior shape and strategically placed sound-deadening materials also create a quiet cabin. With 63 cu ft of maximum cargo capacity in 2017–2019 models, the Equinox can do double-duty on weekends by transporting larger items. Base standard features on the 2017–2019 Equinox L include:
- 17-inch aluminum wheels
- Single-zone manual climate control
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity
- Rearview monitor
- Seven-inch touchscreen display
Returning after a 14-year hiatus, the 2019 Chevrolet Blazer is back as a five-passenger crossover SUV with Camaro-like styling for some serious curb appeal. Powered by a standard 2.5L four-cylinder engine with 193 hp and 188 lb-ft of torque, the 2019 Blazer features a nine-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. If you crave more muscle, a 3.6L V6 is included on Blazer V6 Cloth and higher trims with optional all-wheel drive for more traction in poor conditions. With its agile handling and controlled ride, this SUV is certainly fun to drive. Standard features on the 2019 Blazer RS include:
- 20-inch aluminum wheels
- Steering and suspension enhancements
- Hands-free programmable power liftgate
- Navigation system
- Eight-inch touchscreen display
Need capacity for passengers, pets, and belongings – and perhaps a camper, too? The roomy eight-passenger Chevrolet Traverse is a versatile SUV for daily transportation and special trips. Anchoring the 2017–2019 model is a powerful 3.6L V6 that can tow an estimated 5,000 lbs. when properly equipped.4 With all three rows in place, you'll have space for your whole family and 24.4 cu ft of cargo volume for luggage and groceries, but stowing the third row provides 70.3 cu ft of storage (2017 models). In 2018, Chevrolet extended the Traverse's trims to include more features, like the following on the 2018–2019 LT Leather:
- Heated driver and front passenger seats
- Leather upholstery
- Power liftgate with programmable height adjustment
- Six-way power front passenger seat with power lumbar control
- 10-speaker Bose® audio system
The Bottom Line
The Chevy Trax is a small SUV with full-sized appeal. Boasting city-friendly dimensions, a tasteful cabin with room to spare, and available-all wheel drive, it's easy to envision the 2021 Trax in your driveway.
Still shopping? Check out these related articles for more inspiration:
- 13 SUVs with the Best Gas Mileage for 2021
- 10 Best Used SUVs under $15,000
- 10 Best Compact SUVs Under $20,000
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
3Based on prices on carmax.com from May 1, 2019, through October 1, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
4Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.