A three-row SUV with a lot of attitude.
The 2019 Dodge Durango is a midsize SUV with optional three-row seating and a wide variety of engine and trim options to suit your needs. With muscle car looks, the Durango also has the power to back it up. Plus you can choose from the latest tech and comfort features to make your road trip with the Durango both fast and pleasant. This 2019 Dodge Durango review will give you all the key information of this popular full-size SUV:
Key Specs & Features
- A variety of engine options including a 293-horsepower 3.6L V6, a 360-horsepower 5.7L V8, and a 475-horsepower 6.4L V8
- Available all-wheel drive
- Available three-row seating
- Standard seven-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™
- Ultra-high-performance SRT® version available
5 Reasons to Buy
1. HIGH-PERFORMANCE FUN
The Dodge Durango is one of the only SUVs on the market with a third row (standard on all 2019 models except the base SXT), plus a variety of high-output performance engines. Beyond the base trim's 3.6L V6, you can opt for the 360-horsepower-5.7L-V8-powered R/T trim or the amazing 475-horsepower-6.4L-V8-powered SRT (all available on 2019 models). Also look for a variety of suspension, braking, and other performance-focused modifications on both trim levels. Both the R/T and SRT offer a lot of fun to go along with the practical SUV format.
2. ROOM FOR SEVEN
The 2019 Durango isn't just a hot-rod SUV, it also has a practical side. With standard third-row seating at all trim levels, except the base SXT, you can bring everyone along on your fast-and-furious journey. The 2019 Dodge Durango is also a pleasure to spend time in, with standard three-zone climate control and available heated and ventilated front seats. That way, you can arrive at your destination in comfort—just remember that you may get there a bit early if you opt for one of the powerful V8 engines.
3. MUSCLE CAR LOOKS
Driving a family hauler shouldn't be boring and neither should its exterior. With a wide variety of trim levels, plus cool color combinations available, the Durango is anything but dull. On the outside, you can pick from 11 exterior colors plus nine different wheel choices. Some 2019 Durangos come with red, blue, gunmetal, and silver stripes across the top for added style!
4. SPACIOUS CARGO CAPACITY
Not only is there room for seven passengers, but there is also a generous 85.1 cubic feet of space behind the front seats with the second and third rows folded down (2019 models). The Durango also features plenty of storage options, with a large center console in the front and an available second-row mini-console with additional cup-holders and storage. All 2019 Durango trim levels also feature a covered rear storage area to keep your valuables out of sight.
5. THE LATEST TECH
Despite the bold looks, the 2019 Durango still comes with the latest technology. With standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, you can stay connected to your favorite devices along the way. You can also expect standard features like active head restraints, advanced multistage front airbags, an inflatable drivers-side knee-bolster airbag, supplemental side-curtain airbags in all rows, hill start assist, and traction control. You can even add optional blind-spot and cross-path detection warnings, lane departure warning, rain brake support, a ParkView® rear back-up camera, and forward collision warning with active braking, among others.
What You Need to Know
2019 Dodge Durango Trims
The 2019 Dodge Durango comes in five great trim levels with something for everyone:
- SXT: The base Durango comes with the standard 293-horsepower 3.6L V6 plus a ton of standard equipment such as 18-inch alloy wheels and a rearview camera. Plus, on the interior, you'll get standard features like the UConnect® infotainment system with a seven-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, keyless entry and remote start, cloth upholstery, and three-zone climate control.
- GT: The GT trim adds a power driver seat, leather-wrapped steering wheel, a garage door opener, rear parking sensors, and 20-inch alloy wheels.
- R/T: The performance-focused R/T will get you the bigger 360-horsepower 5.7L V8 engine as standard equipment plus upgraded performance-focused steering and suspension. You also get leather and suede upholstery throughout, heated first- and second-row seats, a heated steering wheel, HID headlights with automatic high beams, an 8.4-inch touchscreen, a nine-speaker Alpine® audio system, navigation, and a power rear gate.
- Citadel: The more luxury-focused Citadel comes standard with the 3.6L V6 but offers the 5.7L V8 as an option. You also get standard leather seating plus second-row captain's chairs with their own dedicated central console, standard sunroof, and chrome side mirrors.
- SRT: The SRT trim features a 475-horsepower 6.4L V8 plus an upgraded performance-focused all-wheel-drive system, Brembo® brakes, and adaptive dampers for improved handling. On the inside, you get adaptive headlights, upgraded Nappa-leather upholstery with suede inserts throughout, ventilated front seats, and a leather-wrapped center console and armrests.
2019 Dodge Durango Interior
The Dodge Durango comes standard with two rows, with three-row seating optional on all models except for the base SXT. Cloth seating is standard, but all models feature optional, or in some cases standard, leather seating. Upgraded Nappa-leather seating with suede inserts is available as well.
2019 Dodge Durango Colors
The 2019 Dodge Durango is available in 11 great exterior colors including:
- DB Black
- Destroyer Grey
- F8 Green
- Octane Red
- Reactor Blue
- Redline Red
- Vice White
- White Knuckle
On the inside, you can choose from a variety of interior materials and colors:
- Capri-leather trim in Black or in Light Frost Beige (standard on Citadel and optional on SXT and GT trims)
- Capri-leather trim with perforated suede inserts in Black (standard on R/T and optional on GT)
- Carolina Mesh/Double Cross cloth in Black or Light Frost Beige (standard on SXT and GT)
- Laguna leather with perforated inserts and Silver accent stitching in Black/Demonic Red (optional on SRT)
- Nappa-leather trim with perforated inserts and tungsten accent stitching in Black or Radar Red (optional on R/T and Citadel)
- Nappa-leather trim with perforated inserts and tungsten accent stitching in Black/Sepia (optional on R/T and Citadel)
- Nappa-leather trim with perforated suede inserts and silver accent stitching in Black (standard on SRT)
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great option to consider if you are looking for something a bit more rugged but also family-friendly. The 2019 Grand Cherokee is only available in a two-row layout and is powered by a 3.5L V6. You can also buy an SRT Grand Cherokee powered by the same 475-horsepower V8 as the Durango SRT (2015-and-up model years). Plus, if you are feeling adventurous, you can opt for the 707-horsepower supercharged V8 Trackhawk (2018). Even the base Laredo trim level comes standard with interior features like dual-zone automatic climate control, rear parking assist, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system. On the exterior, you'll get features like 17-inch aluminum wheels and heated mirrors.
The Dodge Journey is a three-row SUV with some of the same Dodge attitude that you find in the Durango. With plenty of great standard and optional features, the Journey will tackle your toughest on-road challenges. Even the well-equipped 2019 base model SE Value Package can be had with great standard features like three-row seating, dual-zone air conditioning, automatic headlights, heated exterior mirrors, and cloth seating surfaces. The SE Value Package is front-wheel drive only and is powered by a 173-horsepower 2.4L four-cylinder engine but you can find optional AWD paired with the larger 3.6L V6 engine across the Journey lineup.
The Bottom Line
The Dodge Durango has been a great SUV option for decades. The 2019 Durango continues that tradition with lots of great features and a versatile interior. Looking to learn more about the Dodge Durango and similar vehicles? Check out these related articles:
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.