An upscale compact SUV with advanced features.
Are you shopping for a compact luxury SUV that offers practicality and comfort? The Audi Q5 deserves your attention. Available in three trims, the 2020 model offers a plethora of premium standard features, many of which are designed to enhance your in-cabin experience and keep you content on short and long journeys. Standard all-wheel drive is designed to let you tap into more traction when you need it. Whether you're dashing to business meetings or slowing down to take in the scenic route, the sophisticated Q5 lets you enjoy your travels in high-end comfort.
While we currently do not have many 2020 Audi Q5s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2020 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Audi Q5 with similar features.
Below are average prices of prior model year Audi Q5s.
- 2018 – Average prices less than $34,5001
Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 Audi Q5 review:
Key Specs and Features
- The 2020 Audi Q5 with AWD, 2.0L engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 24 mpg combined.2
- The 2020 Audi Q5 with AWD, 2.0L engine, and 14.1 kWh battery gets an EPA-estimated 65 combined MPGe (electric and gas) and 27 combined mpg (gas).2 3
- 25.1 cubic feet behind the second row
- Folding the 40/20/40 rear seatbacks increases cargo capacity to 53.1 cubic feet
- Audi Q5 towing capacity is an estimated 4,400 lbs. with the turbo 2.0L four-cylinder engine on 2020 models, when properly equipped.4
- The 2020 Audi Q5 features seating for five passengers.
- Turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine (248 hp and 273 lb.-ft. of torque) with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and all-wheel drive
- Turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine and a 14.1 kWh battery (362 hp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque) with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and all-wheel drive
- Seven-inch display with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration
- Rearview monitor
- 12.3-inch virtual cockpit with MMI® Navigation, voice control system, and MMI Radio with an 8.3-inch display (Premium Plus trim)
- Head-up display (Prestige trim)
- 19-speaker Bang & Olufsen® sound system with 3D sound (Prestige trim)
- 8th - Best Compact SUVs (2020)
Reasons to Buy
1. Powertrain Options
The 2020 Audi Q5 delivers inspiring performance from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder that makes 248 hp and 273 lb.-ft. of torque. This engine is standard on all models and comes paired with Audi's Quattro® all-wheel drive system, which distributes torque to all four wheels for enhanced stability and traction. The 2020 Q5 also offers a plug-in hybrid version that mates to the same turbo 2.0L four-cylinder and includes an electric motor for a combined system output of 362 hp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque. All 2020 Q5s feature a dual-clutch seven-speed S tronic® automatic transmission that delivers quick and smooth shifting performance for a dynamic driving experience.
2. Excellent Capability
For a compact luxury SUV, the Audi Q5 is a very capable vehicle to have in your driveway. With the turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine, the 2020 Q5 can tow an estimated 4,400 lbs., when properly equipped, which is enough muscle to pull a small travel trailer to the campground.4 All 2020 models also come standard with Audi Drive Select, which includes five selectable modes that adjust the Q5's steering, transmission shifts, and throttle response. This includes an off-road mode, allowing you to cater the vehicle's driving dynamics to suit rougher conditions.
3. Roomy Cabin
Though the 2020 Q5 boasts tidy dimensions, its five-passenger cabin feels big inside. Head and shoulder room is generous across both rows, and rear-seat occupants enjoy 37.8 inches of legroom. With total cargo space of 53.1 cubic feet with the 40/20/40 rear seats folded flat, you can load up the Q5 with materials from the home improvement store. Even when carrying a full load of passengers, you'll still have 25.1 cubic feet of storage to carry luggage for a weekend getaway. Whether you're a small family or an active couple, the 2020 Q5 offers a comfortable way to travel.
4. Abundant Standard Features
As soon as you slip into the 2020 Q5's cabin, you'll be taken by this compact SUV's luxurious standard features—many of which are included at the base level. All trims feature supportive seats with leather upholstery, while tri-zone automatic climate control keeps passengers at their preferred temperature. The front seats are heated and feature eight-way power adjustments; plus, a standard power liftgate is included on all 2020 Q5 models for your convenience. Premium Plus and Prestige trims also include a large panoramic sunroof for a brighter in-cabin experience.
5. Premium Technology
A highlight of the 2020 Q5 is its 12.3-inch Audi virtual cockpit that comes standard on Premium Plus and Prestige trims. With this driver information system, you can easily access the Q5's many tech features, including the navigation system, audio, and phone controls, and even view maps using Google Earth™. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is standard on every trim and can be controlled through the MMI Radio plus interface, which uses a seven-inch screen on the Premium trim and an 8.3-inch screen on the Premium Plus and Prestige trims. Standard driver-assistance features are plentiful, including automated emergency braking and forward-collision warning.
What You Need to Know
2020 Audi Q5: Available Trims
- Premium: Includes 18-inch five-twin-spoke dynamic wheels, power liftgate, leather upholstery, tri-zone automatic climate control, seven-inch display with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, and more.
- Premium Plus: Adds a panoramic sunroof, 12.3-inch virtual cockpit, MMI Navigation with voice control system, MMI Radio with 8.3-inch screen, front and rear parking sensors, and more.
- Prestige: Adds a top-view camera system with park steering assist, head-up display, 19-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system with 3D sound, power tilt and telescopic adjustable steering column with memory, and adaptive cruise control.
2020 Audi Q5: Available Colors
- Azores Green Metallic
- Brilliant Black
- Daytona Gray Pearl (available on 2020 Q5 PHEV model only)
- Florett Silver Metallic
- Glacier White Metallic
- Ibis White
- Manhattan Gray Metallic
- Matador Red Metallic
- Monsoon Gray Metallic (not available on 2020 Q5 PHEV model)
- Moonlight Blue Metallic
- Mythos Black Metallic
- Navarra Blue Metallic (not available on 2020 Q5 PHEV model)
- Turbo Blue (available on 2020 Q5 PHEV model only)
2020 Audi Q5: Interior
- 53.1 cubic feet of cargo volume
- Five-passenger seating configuration with standard leather upholstery
- Front heated seats with eight-way power adjustments
- Three-zone automatic climate control
- Power tilt and telescopic adjustable steering column with memory (Prestige trim)
Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 Audi Q5 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Audi Q5.
- 2018: Average prices less than $34,5001
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 Audi Q5, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 Audi Q55
The 2020 Audi Q5 is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used Audi Q5s with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the Audi Q5.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 3.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $927.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings: 2020 Audi Q5
The 2020 Audi Q5 received overall five-star safety ratings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 Audi Q5, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Need a subcompact SUV with good fuel economy for city commuting, but don't want to give up on premium features by downsizing to a smaller vehicle? The Q3 could be a contender. Power flows from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine (228 hp and 258 lb.-ft. of torque) that pairs with an eight-speed automatic transmission with standard all-wheel drive. In turn, the 2019 Q3's powertrain returns an EPA-estimated 19 mpg city and 27 mpg highway, which is handy if you commute long distances each week.2 The 2019 Audi Q3 has a neat and agile body that's well suited for urban outings and a cabin that bestows a full range of standard features. Standard features on the 2019 base Premium trim also include:
- LED taillights
- Three-spoke multifunction steering wheel with available shift paddles
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration
- Front and rear parking sensors
If you're looking for a five-passenger crossover with incredible performance, the BMW X3 is hard to resist. 2018-2019 models offer an M40i trim that's driven by a turbocharged 3.0L V6 engine, which throws down 355 hp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque. In turn, you'll be able to accelerate from zero to 60 mph in just 4.6 seconds , which is big power for a small SUV. The 2018-2019 BMW X3 M40i matches its adrenaline-raising performance with an M Sport suspension, M Sport exhaust system, and M Sport brakes, so you can really engage with the road. Other M40i standard features include the following on 2018-2019 models:
- Leatherette upholstery
- 19-inch M double-spoke bi-color wheels
- Panoramic moonroof
- Variable sport steering
Redesigned in 2019, the Acura RDX's third-generation model is a great choice if you want a spacious five-passenger crossover with sharp handling and smart cargo features. Acura's Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive System is optional on all trims and delivers optimum torque to the front and rear axles for sharper responses on all road conditions. The 2019 RDX is also equipped with Agile Handling Assist, which selectively uses the vehicle's brakes for more precise turning and overall control. Cargo capacity on the 2019 model is enormous—a maximum of 76.9 cubic feet to transport larger items, as well as a hidden compartment under the cargo floor to store valuables. Standard features on the 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec include:
- 20-inch shark gray-painted aluminum-alloy wheels
- LED fog lights and dark-tinted LED headlights
- Large-diameter exhaust finishers
- Special A-Spec badging
The Bottom Line
The 2020 Q5 offers a beautifully crafted cabin and capable all-wheel drive performance with plenty of standard features and high-tech options. If you're in the market for a crossover that blends comfort with driving enjoyment into one premium package, the Q5 deserves a spot on your shopping list.
Want to learn more about the Audi Q5 and similar vehicles? Check out these related articles:
1Based on prices on carmax.com in December 2019. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
3Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Actual mileage will vary based on things like battery age, vehicle condition and history, driving and charging habits, accessory use, and driving conditions. Battery capacity may decrease with time and use. See fueleconomy.gov for more info.
4Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
5RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of 12/01/2019. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.