A luxurious midsize SUV with plenty of power.
If you are shopping for a luxury midsize SUV that can help you master your commute, shuttle your family around town, and carry your belongings to where they need to go, the BMW X5 is a stand-out choice. Originally introduced in 2000, the 2020 X5 is in its fourth generation and boasts an array of V6 and V8 engine options and trim levels with premium features to reflect your active lifestyle.
While we currently do not have many 2020 BMW X5s on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. Here's what you'll learn in this 2020 BMW X5 review:
Key Specs and Features
- The sDrive40i with FWD, 3.0L V6 engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined.1
- The xDrive40i with AWD, 3.0L V6 engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 22 mpg combined.1
- The xDrive50i with AWD, 4.4L V8 engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.1
- The M50i with AWD, 4.4L V8 engine, and automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.1
- The 2020 X5 offers 33.9 cubic feet of cargo volume with all seats in place.
- Maximum cargo volume expands to 72.3 cubic feet by folding the rear seats.
- BMW X5's towing capacity is an estimated 7,200 lbs. with the 3.6L V6 or 4.4L V8 on 2020 models when properly equipped.2
- The 2020 X5 offers standard seating for five passengers.
- An optional third-row seat boosts capacity to seven passengers (sDrive40i and xDrive40i trims).
The BMW X5 comes standard with an eight speed automatic transmission and sport and manual shift modes. Engine options include:
- 3.0L V6 (335 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque)
- 4.4L V8 (456 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque) with an eight-speed automatic transmission and sport and manual shift modes
- 4.4L V8 (523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque) with an eight-speed automatic transmission and sport and manual shift modes
- Standard Apple CarPlay® compatibility
- 16-speaker Harman Kardon® surround-sound audio system on xDrive50i and higher trims
- Two 12.3-inch touchscreen displays with voice-control and iDrive touchpad controller as standard
- Standard rearview monitor
- Front and rear park distance control as standard
The BMW X5 has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists:
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Upscale Interior
The 2020 BMW X5 is an excellent choice for singles, couples, or families with its five-passenger seating configuration that comes standard on all trim levels. If you need additional space to carry two more occupants, the sDrive40i and xDrive40i trims offer an optional third row that's best suited for children. Inside the cabin, handsome leather upholstery provides a premium feel to xDrive50i and M50i trims and is contrasted by high-gloss wood and aluminum details. After a long day at work, you'll feel rejuvenated as soon as you slide into the 20-way power multi-contour front seats (xDrive50i and M50i trims), which include additional power-adjustment functions for extra shoulder and thigh support.
2. Invigorating Performance
With three engine offerings, the 2020 X5 lets you customize your performance to suit your lifestyle. The base 3.0L V6 provides a solid foundation with 335 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque on sDrive40i (FWD) and xDrive40i (AWD) trims but the turbocharged 4.4L V8 is the ideal choice if you're looking for a true powerhouse. The 2020 BMW X5 is also capable of 456 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque on the xDrive50i trim and a massive 523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque on the new M50i trim. The X5 matches this spicy performance with a standard adaptive suspension that ensures excellent handling over rough surfaces and composed cornering on twisty roads.
3. Innovative Tech
The 2020 X5 is packed with innovative tech features that will enhance your time behind the wheel. BMW's latest iDrive infotainment system with voice recognition comes standard and boasts a 12.3-inch touchscreen display with vibrant graphics, a navigation system, and Apple CarPlay compatibility. You can control the screen by tapping and swiping or use a knob and touchpad located on the center console. The 2020 X5 also comes standard equipped with numerous driver-assist features, like a rearview camera, blind-spot monitoring, and adaptive LED headlights with automatic high beams, all inspiring confidence with each mile.
4. Plentiful Cargo Space
Whether loading up after a shopping spree or filling the trunk with your kids' hockey equipment, the BMW X5 offers cavernous cargo capacity for your belongings. Behind the second row is 33.9 cubic feet of cargo volume, which is easily accessed using the horizontal-split power tailgate that comes standard on all trim levels. However, if you need to prioritize cargo room over passenger space, folding the rear seats reveals 72.3 cubic feet of volume. For smaller storage items, the cabin of the X5 also boasts a locking glove box and a front-seat center console with a power outlet and a USB-C port with three-amp charging ability.
5. New M50i Trim for the 2020 Model
New for 2020, the BMW X5 offers a performance-oriented M50i trim with a 4.4L turbo V8 producing 523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque. The engine is backed by an eight-speed sport automatic transmission with BMW's xDrive all-wheel-drive system and works in conjunction with an M Sport differential, M Sport exhaust system, and an Adaptive M Suspension. Combining true sports car performance with SUV comfort and convenience, the X5 M50i delivers incredible handling and traction on various road surfaces and in challenging weather conditions. If you like fast acceleration, you'll love the 2020 X5 M50i's powerful performance. According to BMW, the SUV's 4.4L turbo V8 can fly from zero to 60 mph in just 4.1 seconds when new.
What You Need to Know
2020 BMW X5: Available Trims
- sDrive40i: Includes 19-inch v-spoke light-alloy wheels, leatherette upholstery, two 12.3-inch touchscreen displays with voice recognition, a navigation system, a panoramic moonroof, and more.
- xDrive40i: Includes the same standard features as the sDrive40i, but adds an xDrive all-wheel-drive system, and an additional exterior color option (Carbon Black Metallic).
- xDrive50i: Adds a 16-speaker Harman Kardon surround-sound audio system, four-zone automatic climate control, and 20-way power multi-contour front seats with memory functions for both driver and passenger.
- M50i: Adds M Sport brakes, M Sport exhaust system, M Sport differential, Adaptive M suspension, and more.
2020 BMW X5: Available Colors
- Alpine White
- Ametrin Metallic
- Arctic Gray Metallic
- Black Sapphire Metallic (Drive40i, xDrive40i, xDrive50i)
- Carbon Black Metallic (xDrive40i, xDrive50i, M50i)
- Dark Graphite Metallic (Drive40i, xDrive40i, xDrive50i)
- Jet Black (Drive40i, xDrive40i, xDrive50i)
- Manhattan Green Metallic (Drive40i, xDrive40i, xDrive50i)
- Mineral White Metallic
- Phytonic Blue Metallic
- Tanzanite Blue II Metallic
2020 BMW X5: Interior
- Maximum cargo volume is 72.3 cubic feet.
- Five-passenger seating comes standard while seven-passenger seating is available with an optional third-row seat on sDrive40i and xDrive40i trims.
- Leatherette upholstery comes standard on sDrive40i and xDrive40i trims while xDrive50i and M50i trims boast leather upholstery.
- A split-opening power tailgate comes standard on all trim levels.
- Three-stage heated front seats come standard on all trims.
2020 BMW X5: Average CarMax Prices
The 2020 BMW X5 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. Pricing data for this model at CarMax is currently unavailable. See below to learn more about previous model years.
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2020 BMW X5, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
Safety and Reliability
RepairPal® Reliability Ratings for the 2020 BMW X53
The 2020 BMW X5 is a newer model and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. You may also consider other used BMW X5s with similar features. Below are RepairPal reliability ratings for prior model years of the BMW X5.
- Overall RepairPal Reliability Rating - 2.0/5.0
- Average annual cost of unscheduled repairs and maintenance: $1,166.00
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010–2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features. Learn more at www.carmax.com/repairpal-reliability.
NHTSA Safety Ratings: 2020 BMW X5
The 2020 BMW X5 received an overall 4/5 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2020 BMW X5, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The BMW X3 is a luxury compact SUV with nimble handling and powerful engine performance—a great choice if you want a daily commuter that's fun to drive. The 2018 model is available in two trims with two distinct engine options and AWD: a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder in the xDrive30i (248 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque) and a turbocharged 3.0L V6 in the M40i (355 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque). Dynamic Damper Control is available on the xDrive30i model and includes electronically-controlled dampers, which are designed to adapt to changing road surfaces for a compliant ride. Premium standard features on the 2018 xDrive30i include:
- 18-inch Y-spoke wheels
- Power-adjustable sport seats with leatherette upholstery
- Automatic climate control
- Power tailgate
If you require three rows of seating for up to seven passengers, the Acura MDX's spacious cabin will impress you with its family-hauling abilities. Taller passengers will enjoy up to 38.5 inches of legroom in the second row and 30.9 inches in the third row—the latter being roomier than most third rows in the segment (2017–2019 models). You can also have your pick of powertrain options, including a standard 290-hp 3.5L V6 or an optional 321-hp gas-electric hybrid with a 3.0L V6 (2017–2019 models). Highlights of the Standard base trim (2017–2019 models) include the following premium comforts:
- Heated power-adjustable front seats
- Leather upholstery
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Power liftgate
Another utilitarian and family-focused three-row luxury SUV is the Audi Q7. This Quattro® all-wheel-drive model offers seating for seven passengers inside a lavish cabin that's appointed with standard features that include leather upholstery and genuine wood trim, along with an 8.3-inch infotainment system with navigation, Bluetooth® connectivity, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto™ smartphone integration (2019 models). A choice between two different trims and engines are offered on the 2019 model. The 2019 model with V6 and AWD can go from zero to 60 mph in just 5.7 seconds and can tow an estimated 7,700 lbs. when properly equipped.2 The mid-range Premium Plus trim includes the following standard features on 2019 models:
- Top-view camera system
- Full LED headlights
- Bose® 3D surround-sound system with 19 speakers
- Leather upholstery
The Bottom Line
The 2020 BMX X5 is a stylish and luxurious midsize SUV that offers a premium interior and incredible engine performance. If you are shopping for a five-passenger vehicle with high-end appeal, you'll find it in abundance in the X5.
Want to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates for when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
3RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. Learn more at repairpal.com/reliability.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks ™ or registered ® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.