Redesigned luxury meets performance.
The 2021 Acura TLX is a well-equipped performance sedan that offers a range of comfort and convenience options to suit your ever-changing needs. The updated-for-2021 TLX is as at home at the valet stand as it is carving through a winding back road.
While we currently do not have many 2021 Acura TLXs on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the Acura TLX with similar features as well as similar vehicles.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 Acura TLX review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2021 Acura TLX has an EPA-estimated 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway fuel economy for 2.0L FWD models.1
- For AWD models with the 2.0L engine, the TLX gets an EPA-estimated 21 mpg city and 29 mpg highway.1
- Expect up to 13.5 cu-ft of cargo space in the TLX's trunk.
- The 2021 TLX has seating for up to five passengers across two rows.
- The 2021 TLX offers a standard 272-horsepower 2.0L inline four-cylinder across all trim levels. The engine is paired to a ten-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and features standard FWD plus optional Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®).
Tech Features: The TLX features standard equipment such as:
- 10.2-inch touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ integration
- An available 17 speaker, 712-watt, Acura/ELS STUDIO 3D® audio system (standard on A-Spec and Advanced trim levels).
The Acura TLX has a strong sales history at CarMax. It has been featured in these ranking lists.
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Tons of Standard Features
The great thing about the TLX is that you can find just the right spec for your evolving needs. With loads of standard features, even the base model is well appointed. Plus, with a host of options via its various upgrade packages, it also offers a ton of customization. For 2021, expect standard equipment across all trim levels such as LED headlights, a 10.2-inch infotainment screen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, heated, power-adjustable front seats, simulated leather upholstery, onboard Wi-Fi hotspot dual-zone climate control, a 10-speaker sound system, and aluminum interior trim.3
2. Cool A-Spec Trim
When it's a cool autumn morning and a long stretch of empty winding road is ahead of you, the TLX is the perfect companion for a spirited drive. Acura delivers race-bred performance in the TLX A-Spec without sacrificing comfort and convenience. With a sport-tuned engine and suspension, plus a sporty exterior and interior upgrades, the A-Spec is sure to make a splash.
3. High-End Sound System
Acura has a long-time partnership with award-winning recording engineer and producer Elliot Scheiner. The result is the phenomenal the ELS Studio® sound system. Opt for either the A-Spec and Advanced trim level you'll experience studio sound quality to make those long drives even more enjoyable.
4. The Latest Technology
Across all 2021 TLX trim levels are a variety of tech-focused features and options. Standard across all trim levels is a system called AcuraWatch. This system includes driver-aid features like adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist, forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, traffic sign recognition, and a driver attention monitor.
5. Available Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive
All models of the TLX come standard with front-wheel drive. However, if you opt for the V6 model you'll get Acura's Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) as standard. This system directs power and torque to the wheels that are in search of traction. The result is a planted and capable sports sedan that's also fun to drive.
What You Need to Know
From the Base to the Advance, there is a little something for everyone. Each of the four package options described below is available with the standard four-cylinder engine:
- Base: Acura's base 2021 TLX comes with a host of standard features including LED headlights, a 10.2-inch infotainment screen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, heated power-adjustable front seats, simulated leather upholstery, onboard Wi-Fi hotspot3, dual-zone climate control, a 10-speaker sound system, and aluminum interior trim.
- Technology Package: Includes additional features such as front and rear parking sensors, blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, leather upholstery, integrated navigation system, customizable ambient lighting, and upgraded 13-speaker sound system.
- A-Spec Package: The sportiest TLX includes an upgraded exterior appearance package, as well as unique brushed aluminum interior trim, a flat-bottom steering wheel, microsuede seat inserts, a 17-speaker ELS sound system, ventilated front seats, and a wireless charging pad.
- Advance Package: Adds tech and comfort upgrades like adaptive suspension for a smoother ride, a surround-view camera system, front-seat bolster and thigh-support adjustments with heated rear seats, a head-up display, and rain-sensing wipers
The 2021 Acura TLX is available in six color options:
- Apex Blue Pearl
- Lunar Silver Metallic
- Majestic Black Pearl
- Modern Steel Metallic
- Performance Red Pearl
- Platinum White Pearl
- Optional leather and microsuede inserts for seating surfaces
- Standard heated and optional cooled seats
- 13.5 cu-ft of trunk space
- Luxury interior
Engine & Transmission
The 2021 TLX offers a standard 272-horsepower 2.0L inline four-cylinder engine. Paired to a ten-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, it also features optional Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive. New for 2021 is the return of the TLX Type S trim, which offers a trim-exclusive V6 option.
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 Acura TLX is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the Acura TLX.
- 2015 — Average price less than $17,5002
- 2016 — Average price less than $19,5002
- 2017 — Average price less than $21,0002
- 2018 — Average price less than $25,5002
- 2019 — Average price less than $26,5002
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 Acura TLX, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 Acura TLX is not yet rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 Acura TLX, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
Acura's RLX sedan offers great features and performance. Take a look at 2017–2019 models and you'll find seating for five and a very generous 14.9 cu-ft of storage in the trunk (11.6 cu-ft in hybrid models). Acura gave the TLX a refreshed exterior and updated interior for the 2018 model year, for these models and newer, you can expect standard tech and features like:
- Leather-trimmed interior with 12-way power front seats
- LED headlights
- Dual seven-inch and eight-inch displays with navigation
- 14-speaker ELS audio system
The RDX is a two-row premium compact crossover with loads of Acura technology and available features. For model years 2017–2018, the RDX includes standard features like:
- Power moonroof
- Leatherette-trimmed seats with a 10-way power driver's seat and heated front seats.
- Power liftgate
- LED headlights
Newly redesigned for 2019, the latest RDX generation boasts seating for five plus 31.1 cu-ft of cargo space with all seats in place (79.8 cu-ft with seats folded). Updated standard features for 2019 and newer models include:
- Panoramic sunroof
- AcuraWatch suite of driver aids
- Touchpad interface for the 10.2-inch central display with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- 12-way power-adjustable and heated front seats
The three-row Acura MDX crossover seats seven and boasts a great array of convenience and luxury features. Acura updated the MDX for the 2017 model year with refreshed styling and extra standard features. With 14.9 cu-ft of space for your stuff, while bringing along a full load of passengers, and 68.4 cu-ft of space with all seats folded, the MDX is a great weekend getaway car. All 2017 and newer MDX versions have a host of standard equipment including:
- Automatic LED headlights
- Heated side mirrors
- Heated eight-way power-adjustable front seats with leather upholstery throughout
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- Dual dashboard displays (a lower seven-inch touchscreen and an upper eight-inch screen)
The Bottom Line
The 2021 Acura TLX delivers a mix of performance and style in a great package. If it's maximum impact you're after, the A-Spec version is a great choice but you're bound to find a TLX that fits your lifestyle.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Based on CarMax average prices from January 2, 2019 to June 4, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
3Wi-Fi hotspots require a data plan to activate and may also require a compatible device. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.