Turbocharged power wrapped in luxury.
With stunning good looks, a plush interior, and adrenaline-inducing performance, the 2021 BMW X5 is a force to be reckoned with. When it comes to midsize SUVs, the X5 is a solid performer. For 2021, the BMW X5 is available in four trims (sDrive40i, xDrive40i, xDrive45e, and M50i) and has three different engine options. The xDrive45e is a newcomer for the 2021 model year and is a plug-in hybrid.
While we currently do not have many 2021 BMW X5 models on our lots, we look forward to selling more in the future. If you love the 2021 model, you should also consider prior model years of the BMW X5 with similar features.
Here's what you'll learn in this 2021 BMW X5 review:
Key Specs & Features
- The 2021 BMW X5 with the 3.0L engine and eight-speed automatic transmission (2WD or AWD) gets an EPA-estimated 23 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 BMW X5 with AWD, 3.0L engine, eight-speed automatic transmission, and plug-in hybrid technology gets an EPA-estimated 50 MPGe.2
- The 2021 BMW X5 with AWD, 4.4L twin-turbo V8, and eight-speed automatic transmission gets an EPA-estimated 18 mpg combined.1
- The 2021 BMW X5 has 33.9 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in place, and 72.3 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
- The 2021 BMW X5 xDrive45e plug-in hybrid has 33.1 cubic feet of cargo space behind the rear seat, and 71.2 cubic feet with all the seats folded down.
- All models of the 2021 BMW X5 have an estimated towing capacity of 7,200 lbs., when properly equipped.3
- All 2021 BMW X5 models come standard with seating capacity for five people.
- A third-row seat is optional on all 2021 BMW X5 models, increasing seating capacity to seven people.
- The 2021 BMW X5 sDrive40i, xDrive40i, and xDrive45e are powered by a 3.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The xDrive45e is also equipped with an electric motor and a battery pack.
- The 2021 BMW X5 M50i is powered by a 4.4L twin-turbo V8 engine, backed by an eight-speed automatic transmission.
- Sirius XM® satellite radio
- Available remote start4 (M50i trim only)
- Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ connectivity
- Automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind-spot monitoring
- 12.3-inch digital gauge display and 12.3-inch infotainment system
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Four Sporty Trims
From the base sDrive40i to the muscular M50i, the 2021 BMW X5 is not short on sporty features. Whether it's powered by the 3.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine or the twin-turbo V8, the X5 is a thoroughbred — built for speed and engaging handling dynamics. If you want extra grip, available all-wheel drive can take the X5 to the next level. The 2021 BMW X5 comes standard with 19-inch wheels and is available with up to 22-inch wheels.
2. Driver-Assistance Technology
When it comes to popular driver aids, the 2021 BMW X5 delivers. Standard driver-assistance features include automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind-spot monitoring. The 2021 BMW X5 also offers an available semi-autonomous driving mode — ideal when you want to let the car do some of the work for you.
3. Turbocharged Power
Regardless of the model you choose, all 2021 BMW X5 trims come with a turbocharged engine. The standard 3.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine churns out a healthy 335 horsepower — plenty of grunt for most activities. If you want even more power, the M50i produces a thunderous 523 hp with its twin-turbo V8.
4. Stylish Exterior
There's no doubt that the 2021 BMW X5 is a looker. Its strong styling highlights the sporty nature of the X5, accentuated by luxurious lines and high-end appointments. With a large dual kidney bean grille, chrome exhaust tips, and satin aluminum trim, the BMW X5 stands out from the crowd.
5. Plenty of Creature Comforts
The 2021 BMW X5 offers a host of luxury appointments so your road trips can be as enjoyable as possible. All 2021 X5 models come standard with features like heated front seats, a panoramic sunroof, power liftgate, and dual-zone automatic climate control. Optional features on all X5 models include heated front armrests, massaging front seats, and a leather dashboard.
What You Need to Know
- sDrive40i: Includes 19-inch alloy wheels, sport front seats, 3.0L turbocharged six-cylinder engine, eight-speed automatic transmission, and more.
- xDrive40i: Adds all-wheel drive, power-folding heated side mirrors, heated front seats, Sirius XM satellite radio, and more.
- xDrive45e: Adds electric motor and plug-in hybrid system, anthracite headliner, and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.
- M50i: Includes 4.4L twin-turbo V8 engine, available remote start, ventilated front seats, Harman Kardon® premium sound system, and more.4
- Alpine White
- Ametrin Metallic
- Arctic Grey Metallic
- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Carbon Black Metallic
- Dravit Grey Metallic
- Mineral White Metallic
- Phytonic Blue Metallic
- Tanzanite Blue II Metallic
- Standard seating for five people
- Optional third-row seat expands seating capacity to seven people
- 33.9 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row; 72.3 cu ft with the second row folded down
- 12.3-inch digital gauge display and 12.3-inch infotainment system
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
Average CarMax Prices
The 2021 BMW X5 is a newer model year and we currently have a limited number in our inventory. See below for average CarMax prices for previous model years of the BMW X5.5
- 2012 - Average prices less than $21,5005
- 2013 - Average prices less than $23,0005
- 2014 - Average prices less than $28,0005
- 2015 - Average prices less than $30,5005
- 2016 - Average prices less than $32,5005
- 2017 - Average prices less than $35,5005
- 2018 - Average prices less than $39,5005
- 2019 - Average prices less than $54,0005
- 2020 - Average prices less than $67,5005
Similar Model Years
If you like the 2021 BMW X5, check out some previous model years of this vehicle with similar features.
The 2021 BMW X5 with AWD received an overall 4/5 rating by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Other 2021 models are currently unrated. Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click Here to look up a specific vehicle.
If you're interested in the 2021 BMW X5, you should also check out these similar vehicles from previous model years.
The Audi Q7 is instantly recognizable by its big, bold grille and sporty styling. For its second generation, the 2017 Q7 received a refresh and is available in either two-row/five-passenger or three-row/seven-passenger configurations. All 2017 Audi Q7 models come standard with a 3.0L supercharged V6 engine; a 2.0L four-cylinder and a 3.0L turbodiesel are optional on 2018-2019 models. All Q7 models boast a finely appointed interior and sporty driving dynamics.
Standard features on the 2018 Audi Q7 include:
- Tri-zone climate control
- Seven-inch multi-information display
- Heated front seats
- Panoramic sunroof
- Rearview camera
The BMW X3 is a stylish midsize SUV that received a refresh in 2018. A performance M model was introduced in 2018, and all models benefit from increased aerodynamics and a sporty exterior. The available xDrive gives you four-wheel-drive capability, making it a good choice for wet-weather driving. A mild hybrid system was added in 2020 that features intelligent AWD as standard.
Standard features on the 2018 BMW X3 include:
- BMW iDrive 6.0 infotainment system
- 10.25-inch touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay capability
- Active kidney grille
The Land Rover Discovery is a midsize SUV that got a complete redesign in 2017, replacing the outgoing LR4. If you're looking for luxury as well as rugged off-road capability, you'll love the Discovery. Standard four-wheel drive is paired with a 3.0L supercharged V6 engine to help make the 2017-2019 Discovery capable in a variety of road conditions. A new standard feature for 2017-2019 allows you to lock and unlock the Discovery using your smartphone or smartwatch.
Additional standard features on the 2017-2019 Land Rover Discovery include:
- All-terrain progress control system
- Adjustable air suspension
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane departure warning
The Bottom Line
The 2021 BMW X5 is stylish, sporty, and loaded with technology on every trim. From all-wheel-drive confidence to adrenaline-pumping performance, the X5 is an excellent choice. Take a look at the range of well-appointed X5 models to find the one that's right for you.
Looking to learn more? Check out these related articles:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicle sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicle sold as new. Actual mileage will vary based on things like battery age, vehicle condition and history, driving and charging habits, accessory use, and driving conditions. Battery capacity may decrease with time and use. See fueleconomy.gov for more info.
3Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
4Remote start functionality may require the purchase of a subscription plan and/or a compatible device like a smartphone. See the owner's manual or manufacturer website for more information.
5Based on CarMax average prices from May 1, 2020 through October 1, 2020. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features, and trim packages. Prices do not include tax, title, tags, and any applicable fees.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.