Spacious and versatile for families of all sizes.
When it comes to family-friendly vehicles, crossover SUVs are a popular choice — and for good reason. They're large enough to seat multiple passengers comfortably while still offering plenty of cargo space. Thanks in part to their smaller size when compared to full-sized SUVs, Rogues are great for those looking to cut down on spending at the gas pump.
The Rogue was Nissan’s best-selling vehicle from January to April 2018 and, it’s also our top-ranked crossover SUV, based on sales at CarMax stores in January 2018. The Rogue was ranked as one of our top family car choices for 2017, and it also made our list of top three compact SUVs.
Right now, with used Nissan Rogues available at CarMax at average prices that won’t break your budget, this best crossover SUV might be just the right vehicle for you and your family.
CarMax Average prices (in April 20181)
- 2014-2016 Nissan Rogues (all trims): less than $19,500
- 2017 Nissan Rogues (all trims): less than $22,500
If you're in the market for a crossover SUV, it’s definitely worth your time to check out a used 2016 Nissan Rogue or 2017 Nissan Rogue.
This Nissan Rogue review will focus on the 2016 and 2017 model years and will cover some of our favorite features and reasons to buy.
10 Reasons to Buy the 2016-2017 Nissan Rogue
- Surprisingly ample storage. Fold down the rear seats and you'll enjoy up to 70 cubic feet of storage. Even with the second row of seats in use, you'll retain an ample 32 cubic feet in the base S trims.
- Spacious, comfortable seating. Even the back row of seating in the base S trim offers a full nine inches of adjustment for maximum comfort.
- An upscale interior design.The interior design is surprisingly luxurious, with standard soft-touch materials and padded armrests throughout.
- Generous standard features. Standard features on the base S trim include 17-inch wheels, keyless entry, 5-inch central display, and even a rearview camera.
- Optional packages. All trims of the 2016 and 2017 Rogue can be customized with optional packages, such as the Family Package, which adds rear privacy glass and run-flat tires.
- Great handling and maneuverability. Drivers will be impressed with the easy handling and maneuverability offered by all trim levels of the 2016 and 2017 Rogue, especially through winding roads and tighter curves.
- Ready for rough terrain. While you may not consider the Rogue an off-road vehicle, its incredible traction and hill descent control allow it to handle many terrains without issue.
- User-friendly technologies. The standard NissanConnect® infotainment system included in all trim levels of the 2016 Nissan Rogue and 2017 Rogue is easy to navigate and use, even if you want to connect your phone via Bluetooth.®
- Sharp, attractive design. Both the 2016 and 2017 Rogue offer sleek, sharp styling. However, a slight style refresh in the 2017 model year makes this Rogue even more sporty and sophisticated.
- Unique storage solutions. Aside from ample storage, the Rogue offers a unique and customizable storage system in all trim levels for easy organization of small and large items.
What trim options are available?
In the base S trim, you'll find a number of standard features, including keyless entry, an adjustable driver's seat, and a rearview camera. More standard features include satellite radio, Bluetooth connectivity, and a large five-inch display.
The SV adds some nicer features, such as a keyless ignition and dual-zone climate control. It also comes with an upgraded six-speaker sound system as opposed to the standard four-speaker system included with the base S trim.
The SL takes things up a notch by including all the standard features mentioned above, in addition to upgraded 18-inch wheels, heated mirrors, and a convenient power liftgate for easy cargo loading and unloading. The SL also boasts a larger seven-inch touchscreen display, an included navigation system, and an even more upgraded eight-speaker sound system.
What are some of the best Nissan Rogue features?
"Zero Gravity" Seats
All trim levels of the 2016 and 2017 model years include outer space inspired "Zero Gravity" seats in the front row. These seats are designed with maximum comfort and lumbar support in mind, and are extremely comfortable even on longer car rides.
Optional Third-Row Seating
Both the S and SV trims on the 2016 and 2017 Rogue are available with third-row seating as an upgrade, which increases seating up to seven passengers. This is nearly unheard of in a subcompact SUV and may come in handy for larger families.
All trim levels of the 2016 and 2017 Rogue also come with a unique "Divide-N-Hide" storage system, which is ideal for separating and organizing cargo. Specifically, this system includes several handy rear storage compartments and shelves, and is able to be configured in more than a dozen different ways to suit your needs!
Nissan Rogue NHTSA Safety Ratings
Both the 2016 and 2017 Nissan Rogue received overall four-star safety ratings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls. Click here to look up a specific vehicle.
Some safety features of the 2016 and 2017 Nissan Rogue include:
- antilock brakes
- rearview camera
- stability and traction control
- hill-descent control (in AWD models)
Used Nissan Rogue 2016 and 2017 Pricing at CarMax
If you're looking for the best crossover vehicle that's also a great value, a used Nissan Rogue can be a great option. At CarMax, the average price for a 2014-2016 Rogue is under $19,500 (as of April 2018).1 The 2017 Nissan Rogue has an average price at CarMax of under $22,500 (as of April 2018).1 While there aren't any major differences in features or performance between the 2016 and 2017 model years, the 2017 model year did see a slight exterior redesign.
Fuel economy: What can you expect?
If you're in the market for a used crossover SUV rather than a full-sized SUV, fuel economy is likely important to you. Fortunately, both the 2016 and 2017 Nissan Rogue boast competitive fuel economy ratings in their class. Specifically, the 2016 Rogue S with a 2.5-liter engine gets an estimated 32 mpg on the highway.2 The 2017 Nissan Rogue S with 2.5-liter engine takes things up a notch with an estimated 33 mpg highway.2
Which makes and models compare to the Nissan Rogue?
The bottom line
For those seeking a spacious, comfortable, and sleek best crossover SUV, the Nissan Rogue is a smart choice. The 2016 and 2017 versions of this vehicle both have generous standard features, as well as add-on packages for further customization to suit your family's lifestyle.
Looking for more information? You can:
1Based on average prices on carmax.com in April 2018. Actual prices may vary based on your selected model year, features and trim packages. Prices do not include taxes, tags, titles, and any applicable fees.
2 Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.