Used Volkswagen Golf for Sale
2017 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Edition
Free Shipping from CarMax Brandywine, MD
2016 Volkswagen Golf R
$99 Shipping from CarMax Salisbury, MD
2012 Volkswagen Golf
$99 Shipping from CarMax Turnersville, NJ
2017 Volkswagen Golf Wolfsburg Edition
Only available at CarMax Newport News, VA
2017 Volkswagen Golf S
Coming soon to CarMax Gaithersburg, MD
2020 Volkswagen Golf TSI
Coming soon to CarMax Potomac Mills, VA
2017 Volkswagen Golf R
Coming soon to CarMax Midlothian, VA
About the Volkswagen Golf
Featuring nimble handling, powerful engine options, upscale cabin materials, and an impressive amount of interior space, the Volkswagen Golf is a 5-door compact car that delivers in every category. The Volkswagen Golf entered into its current generation starting with the 2012 model, however, the vehicle has certainly seen plenty of exciting updates along the way. On the 2018 Volkswagen Golf, for example, you'll receive a 170 hp 1.8L turbocharged four-cylinder engine as well as standard features such as a 6.5-inch color touchscreen display, a rearview camera, and more. Thanks to features such as these as well as the Volkswagen Golf's noteworthy performance and exceptional interior space, 2014-2019 Volkswagen Golf models are among the best used hatchbacks on the market today.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
Q: Why is the VW Golf called a "Golf"?
A: Volkswagen has a trend of naming vehicles after winds, and "Golf" is what the Germans call the Gulf Stream.
Q: What kind of gas does a VW Golf take?
A: The engines found in the 2014-2019 Volkswagen Golf are all designed to burn regular unleaded gasoline.
Q: How many passengers does a VW Golf seat?
A: The Volkswagen Golf is a 5-door compact car that is capable of seating up to five passengers.
Volkswagen Golf Trim Configurations
2014-2015 Volkswagen Golf Trim Configurations
The 2014-2015 Volkswagen Golf comes available in three different trim configurations. These trim configurations include:
- Trendline - The base trim of the 2014-2015 Volkswagen Golf, the Trendline trim includes features such as cruise control, power-adjustable outside mirrors, black roof rails, heated front seats, and more.
- Comfortline - The Comfortline trim of the 2014-2015 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the Trendline trim as well as Bluetooth® audio streaming, chrome front grille applications, chrome outside window trimming, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and more.
- Highline - The Highline trim of the 2014-2015 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the Comfortline trim as well as an eight-way power-adjustable driver's seat, fog lights, a panoramic power sunroof, leather seats, and more.
2016-2017 Volkswagen Golf Trim Configurations
The 2016-2017 Volkswagen Golf comes available in five different trim configurations. These trim configurations include:
- Base - The base trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen Golf includes features such as daytime running lights, cloth seats, Bluetooth® audio streaming, adjustable front seat lumbar support, and more.
- S - The S trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the base trim as well as a rearview camera, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, available steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio, and more.
- SE (2016 only) - The SE trim of the 2016 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the S trim as well as automatic headlights, heated front seats, V-Tex leatherette seats, heated windshield washer nozzles, and more.
- SEL (2016 only) - The SEL trim of the 2016 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the SE trim as well as dual-zone automatic climate control, a built-in navigation system, a 12-way power-adjustable driver's seat, comfort sport seats with V-Tex leatherette seats, and more.
- Wolfsburg - The Wolfsburg trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the S trim as well as push-button start, auto-off headlights, rain-sensing windshield wipers, a power moonroof, and more.
2018-2019 Volkswagen Golf Trim Configurations
The 2018-2019 Volkswagen Golf comes available in two different trim configurations. These trim configurations include:
- S - The base trim of the 2018-2019 Volkswagen Golf, the S trim includes features such as a rearview camera, cloth seats, a 6.5-inch color touchscreen display, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and more.
- SE - The SE trim of the 2018-2019 Volkswagen Golf includes everything found on the S trim as well as push-button start, V-Tex leatherette seats, an eight-inch color touchscreen display, heated front seats, and more.
RepairPal gave the Volkswagen Golf an overall reliability rating of 4 out of 5 stars, which RepairPal describes as Above Average. This rating ranks the Volkswagen Golf 25th out of 36 among compact cars.
- Cost RepairPal reports that the average total annual cost for repairs and maintenance on a Volkswagen Golf is $630, compared to an average of $543 for compact cars and $719 for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Frequency According to RepairPal, Volkswagen Golf owners bring their vehicles into a repair shop for unscheduled repairs an average of 0.3 times per year, compared to an average of 0.4 times for compact cars and 0.5 times for all the vehicle models RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Severity RepairPal reported that the probability of a repair being a severe or major issue is 11% for the Volkswagen Golf, compared to an average of 11% for compact cars and 13% for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010-2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features.
*RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of 12/31/2018. Learn more.
Reviews for Volkswagen Golf
Excellent Quality, Great Mileage, Fun to Drive
I own a 4dr manual shift, black on black, bought it 4 years ago and it now has north of 67k miles. One of the few small cars that I can set the driver's seat to my comfort and then sit comfortably behind myself (I am 6'2"). It is a nimble car and fun to drive-great handling. I average about 52 mpg in the summer and about 46 in the winter. Dealer maintenance is a bit pricey but comes at 10k mile intervals. I have no trouble with blind spots or visibility-google how to set your mirrors to avoid blind spots. Good sound system, great brakes, good power, warms up quickly in the winter. New tires at 65k miles. Auto-down on all 4 windows. Have had no problems at all with this car.
- Fuel Economy: Great mileage when you learn to take advantage of this car's fuel-saving features
- Ride and Handling: Nimble and not harsh.
- Reliability: 0 problems over 67k + mile and 4 years of ownership.
- Cabin Noise: Noisy on certain types of road surfaces.
- Seat Comfort: Some of my friends and family feel the seats are less than comfortable.
My first car
This is the first car I’ve ever purchased all by myself and so far it’s been wonderful. Its great on gas mileage, perfect size for my lifestyle (single with no kids, just a dog), it’s great for daily things like heading to work and errands but I also took it on a road trip and it did wonderful. I have nothing but great things to say about it! It drives like a beauty, such a quiet and smooth ride. highly recommend.
- Fuel Economy:
Fantastic car with many pros
The Golf R is a great car. Subtle, but handsome looks, brilliant interior and the general feel of quality just shows everywhere. Daily driving it is comfortable, beautifully equipped and rides very well. Once you decide to give it a bit of a push and get out on some winding roads, it just completely changes. The four wheel drive system provides an astonishing amount of grip while the turbo charged 2.0L engine surges once above 3000 RPM all the way to redline. It gives you a gentle push back in the seat and it wants to get to that next corner as quick as it can. Brakes are fantastic and slow you just as quickly. Four six feet people can sit in it in comfort without issue and the interior feels more like a luxury car then hot hatch.
- Safety: Air bags everywhere, traction control and solid build quality really shine in adverse conditions and accidents.
- Ride and Handling: Not too stiff and well mannered for the drive to work, but aggressive enough to take it to the track on the weekend.
- Cargo Space: With the seats up you can fit in a ton, drop the back seats and you reach close to wagon levels of storage.
- Cost to Maintain: It is a German car so maintenance costs are more money then a Japanese or American made car. However, if you can do simple fluid changes yourself, this is not a worry.
- Fuel Economy: It is a bit low on fuel economy and driven carefully I have pulled 30MPG on a trip. However, MPG is not the first thing to think of when buying a car like this.
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.