Used Volkswagen GTI for Sale
2016 Volkswagen GTI S
Free Shipping from CarMax Frederick, MD
2019 Volkswagen GTI SE
Only available at CarMax Fredericksburg, VA
2016 Volkswagen GTI S
Coming soon to CarMax Laurel, MD
2018 Volkswagen GTI SE
Coming soon to CarMax Newark, DE
2019 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn
Coming soon to CarMax Greensboro, NC
About the Volkswagen GTI
For drivers who want a step up from the ordinary, the Volkswagen GTI is a compact car that offers a wide range of premium features and specs. The 2015-2019 Volkswagen GTI comes equipped with a punchy 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine as well as an exciting list of standard features. On the 2018 Volkswagen GTI, for example, you can look forward to premium features on the base model such as a 6.5-inch touchscreen display, ambient interior lighting, a rearview camera, and more. Thanks to a host of standard features such as these, as well as the Volkswagen GTI's impressive performance and attractive styling, the Volkswagen GTI is a vehicle that has earned its place at the top of the compact car class.
Unless otherwise noted, information relating to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.
Q: Are all Volkswagen GTIs stick shifts?
A: No, the 2015-2019 Volkswagen GTI comes available with both manual and automatic transmission options.
Q: What does GTI stand for in VW?
A: In Volkswagen vehicles, GTI stands for "Grand Tourer Injection". Generally speaking, this acronym indicates that the vehicle has a direct fuel injection system.
Q: Is the Volkswagen GTI a turbo?
A: Yes, all trims and year models of the 2015-2019 Volkswagen GTI come equipped with a 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder engine.
Volkswagen GTI Trim Configurations
2015-2017 Volkswagen GTI Trim Configurations
The 2015-2017 Volkswagen GTI comes available in four different trim configurations. These trim configurations include:
- S - The base trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen GTI, the S trim includes features such as heated front seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, a rearview camera (on 2016-2017 models), ambient interior lighting, and more.
- Sport (2017 only) - The Sport trim of the 2017 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the S trim as well as black side mirror caps, a GTI logo on the front brake calipers, bi-xenon headlights, upgraded front and rear brakes, and more.
- SE - The SE trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the S trim as well as leather seats, push-button start, a Fender® nine-speaker premium audio system with a subwoofer, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and more.
- Autobahn - The Autobahn trim of the 2016-2017 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the SE trim as well as dual-zone automatic climate control, a 12-way power-adjustable driver's seat, a built-in navigation system, driver's seat power-adjustable lumbar support, and more.
2018-2019 Volkswagen GTI Trim Configurations
The 2018-2019 Volkswagen GTI comes available in four different trim configurations. These trim configurations include:
- S - The base trim of the 2018-2019 Volkswagen GTI, the S trim includes features such as LED daytime running lights, ambient interior lighting, a rearview camera, a six-speaker audio system, a 6.5-inch touchscreen display, and more.
- Rabbit Edition (2019 only) - The Rabbit Edition trim of the 2019 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the S trim as well as blind-spot monitoring, push-button start, Rabbit Edition interior trim, forward collision warning, and more.
- SE - The SE trim of the 2018-2019 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the S trim as well as panoramic power tilt/slide sunroof, leather seats, an eight-inch touchscreen display, voice controls, and more.
- Autobahn - The Autobahn trim of the 2018-2019 Volkswagen GTI includes everything found on the SE trim as well as dual-zone automatic climate control, a Fender® premium audio system with a subwoofer, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, a built-in navigation system, and more.
RepairPal gave the Volkswagen GTI an overall reliability rating of 3 out of 5 stars, which RepairPal describes as Average. This rating ranks the Volkswagen GTI 34th out of 36 among compact cars.
- Cost RepairPal reports that the average total annual cost for repairs and maintenance on a Volkswagen GTI is $791, compared to an average of $543 for compact cars and $719 for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Frequency According to RepairPal, Volkswagen GTI owners bring their vehicles into a repair shop for unscheduled repairs an average of 1 times per year, compared to an average of 0.4 times for compact cars and 0.5 times for all the vehicle models RepairPal considered in its dataset.
- Severity RepairPal reported that the probability of a repair being a severe or major issue is 11% for the Volkswagen GTI, compared to an average of 11% for compact cars and 13% for all the vehicles RepairPal considered in its dataset.
RepairPal Reliability Ratings are based on the actual cost, frequency, and severity of unscheduled repairs and maintenance on make/model data for select 2010-2019 vehicles. The reliability of a specific vehicle may vary depending on its maintenance and driving history, model year, trim, and features.
*RepairPal Reliability Ratings are provided by RepairPal and CarMax is not responsible for their accuracy. These ratings are based on RepairPal Reliability data as of 12/31/2018. Learn more.
Reviews for Volkswagen GTI
Second time Carmax buyer and will be again!
The VW GTI has been my favorite/dream car since I was in middle school. It is the perfect combination of power and an affordable/reliable car. This go around I traded in a Ford Ranger I have previously purchased from Carmax about 3 years ago down south. The Ranger stopped fitting my needs and was looking for space for my 2 dogs combined with a good looking car. Tina at the new Gainesville Carmax location helped me out and did a fantastic job. She made the entire care buying experience smooth, easy, and friendly. From test driving the GTI to cleaning the car for my ride home, Tina was with me to the end. My wife and I are very pleased with the entire purchase process!
- Fuel Economy:
The best all around car I've ever driven - BUY IT!
2013 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition w/ DSG Simply put, the GTI is a great blend of fun, maturity, practicality, and value. It has yet to disappoint in my 2 years of ownership and has proven to be equally pleasant on the highway (comfortable ride, stable feel, great mileage) and winding back roads (great handling, natural steering feel from an electric rack no less, good power). The hatchback and folding seats add great versatility, and it looks appropriately aggressive without shouting for attention (but plaid seats do get compliments). I only have three minor complaints about the car... - Manual headlights in lower trims - Trip mpg in the heads up display mildly overstates fuel economy - Manual upshifts are slightly delayed
- Ride and Handling: The GTI nails the balance between comfortable ride (even drawing compliments from my mother for its highway ride) and competent handling. The car just feels solid and like it could handle anything you throw at it.
- Power: The engine is very responsive for a turbo, and it's well-matched to the transmission. The flat torque curve from 1800rpm to 5000rpm means there's always strong, smooth acceleration on tap.
- Fuel Economy: I've averaged about 29mpg over the almost 18,000 miles I've owned my GTI. I occasionally see 35+mpg for a tank if it was mostly highway driving, and 38mpg isn't uncommon for a 65mph cruise. The only downside is that fuel economy drops quickly with a heavier foot due to the turbo.
- Cost to Maintain: The GTI uses premium fuel, which offsets the good fuel economy. OE parts are expensive for German vehicles, especially repairs to a turbocharged engine and dual clutch transmission. Also, I replaced the tires at 18,000 miles due to heavy wear on the outer half of the tread (partly my fault anyway).
The perfect car for an enthusiast who needs space
This car does everything well and is a ton of fun to drive.I've had it for four months and I still get a huge grin on my face when I drive it. You can easily gobble up miles in comfort on the freeway with it's super supportive seats and great infotainment system, or you can kick in sport mode and carve up a twisty road. I smoked several BMW's and a Cooper S on some back roads right after I got this and the car didn't even break a sweat. The Fender sound system is excellent and the integrations with your phone mean you never have to take your eyes off the road. My only complaint is the low-profile tires. This is the first car I've had with them, and it's super easy to curb your rims if you're not really careful. But well worth it.
- Ride and Handling: It's so easy to drive this car quickly. Takes corners like they aren't even there.
- Power: A nice, flat torque cruve means you can pull hard from almost any speed
- Cargo Space: When you fold down the rear seats, you have SUV space but you can park in a compact spot
- Cost to Maintain: Premium fuel, synthetic oil, low-profile tires. They're all expensive to maintain, so be prepared
This price does not include tax, title, and tags. Additional fees may also apply depending on the state of purchase.