A refined and stylish crossover.
As a compact SUV, the Mazda CX-5 has a long list of qualities that make it an attractive choice for different types of drivers and can suit different lifestyles and preferences. It has a lot to offer you in many respects, including performance, comfort, and functionality. With a spacious cabin lined with great materials and packed with technology—in addition to a smooth and refined ride and lots of cargo space—the 2019 Mazda CX-5 is great for you if you have a big family, meeting both your daily needs around town and the occasional road trip and off-road adventure.
Here's what's covered in this 2019 Mazda CX-5 review:
Key Specs & Features
- A choice of two engines: a 2.5L four-cylinder delivering 187 horsepower and a turbocharged 2.5L four-cylinder engine that generates 227 horsepower
- All-wheel drive is available on some trims and standard on others
- LED headlights and 17-inch alloy wheels as standard
- 40/20/40-split rear seats
- Bluetooth® connectivity and an infotainment system with a seven-inch touchscreen as standard
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel as standard
- 2nd - Best Small SUVs with Great Gas Mileage (2018)
5 Reasons to Buy
1. SOPHISTICATED INTERIOR
While it's not necessarily a luxury vehicle, this Mazda SUV comes with a pretty upscale interior that is comparable with some of its more high-end competitors. Starting with materials, the Mazda CX-5 interior comes with a leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather shift knob, both standard on all trim configurations, as are the front bucket seats. Ambient lighting is available on the upper trims, in addition to Napa leather upholstery and some wood and chrome details. The seats are very comfortable and the cabin provides excellent visibility, thanks to the narrow pillars and tall windows.
2. EXPANSIVE STORAGE AREA
When you buy an SUV, you expect to get an abundance of storage room, and this is one of the departments where the 2019 Mazda CX-5 really delivers. Its cargo area is spacious and convenient, with 30.9 cubic feet of storage capacity with the rear seats up. When you fold the rear seats down, you get a total of 59.6 cubic feet of storage space. With this kind of space, you can easily haul a couple of suitcases, some sporting equipment, as well as lots of groceries.
3. COMPACT, YET CAPABLE OFF-ROAD VEHICLE
Although the 2019 Mazda CX-5 is a compact SUV that is well suited for driving around town, it also has what it takes to be considered a respectable off-road vehicle, too. Standard on all CX-5 trim configurations, Mazda's new technology, SKYACTIV-VEHICLE DYNAMICS with G-Vectoring Control, is designed for improved handling and grip on the front wheels. What's more, with the available all-wheel drive, the CX-5 is designed to get excellent traction on different terrains.
4. ENOUGH ROOM FOR THE ENTIRE FAMILY
In addition to being refined and stylish, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 interior is quite spacious, too. It can comfortably seat five people thanks to the expansive room both in the front and the back. First-row legroom measures at 41 inches, with 39.6 inches of legroom for passengers sitting in the back. There is also a total of 103.6 cubic feet of passenger volume. It's suitable for taller passengers, too, with 39 inches of rear headroom.
5. PLENTY OF STANDARD AND AVAILABLE TECH FEATURES
When it comes to technology, the Mazda CX-5 is very well equipped. It comes with a standard seven-inch touchscreen and hands-free communication system, as well as wireless phone connectivity. Other standard features include cross-traffic alert, blind-spot monitoring, and daytime running lights. On top of that, there is remote keyless entry as standard throughout the entire 2019 lineup.
What You Need to Know
Available 2019 Mazda CX-5 Trim Configurations:
- Sport - This is the base trim of the 2019 model year, which comes standard with 17-inch alloy wheels, an infotainment system with a seven-inch screen, remote keyless entry, two USB ports, three 12-volt DC power outlets, four speakers, MAZDA CONNECT™ smartphone integration, a leather shift knob, and a leather-wrapped telescoping steering wheel.
- Touring - In addition to the features included in the Sport trim, the Touring trim is equipped with two extra USB ports, front dual-zone air conditioning, six-way driver and passenger seat adjustment, heated front seats, six speakers, as well as Android Auto®, and Apple CarPlay™ integration.
- Grand Touring - Standard features include 19-inch wheels, 10 premium speakers, real-time weather display, eight-way driver-seat adjustment, heated front seats, leather upholstery, and many more.
- Grand Touring Reserve - Available only with all-wheel drive, the Grand Touring Reserve trim comes with heated and ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a heads-up display.
- Signature - The top trim configuration of the 2019 Mazda CX-5, which also only comes with all-wheel drive, includes everything from the lower trims in addition to a 360-degree camera, front and rear reverse sensing system, Napa leather seats, and much more.
Available Color Options
The 2019 Mazda CX-5 is available in seven color options:
- Deep Crystal Blue Mica
- Eternal Blue Mica
- Jet Black Mica
- Machine Gray Metallic
- Snowflake White Pearl Mica
- Sonic Silver Metallic
- Soul Red Crystal Metallic
The Mazda CX-3 is a subcompact crossover that's both versatile and very stylish. The 2019 model comes standard with a 2.0L four-cylinder engine and a six-speed automatic transmission, outputting a total of 148 horsepower. All trim level options can be upgraded with all-wheel drive and features like Bluetooth® connectivity, MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system, and a rearview camera. The base, front-wheel-drive trim gets 29 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway, according to EPA estimates.1 Its sporty good looks will appeal to any driver who wants to turn heads on the road.
If you are looking for a more powerful vehicle, the Toyota RAV4 is a good choice for you. The base trim of the 2019 model year is powered by a 2.5L four-cylinder engine paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission and it delivers a total of 203 horsepower. You can choose between five trim options and all-wheel drive is available across the entire lineup. It has a maximum cargo capacity of 69.8 cubic feet and comes standard with adaptive cruise control, automatic high beams, drowsy driver detection, and lane-keeping assist. Both Adventure and Limited trims of the 2019 RAV4 have Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Drive Disconnect, handy if you fancy a little off-road excursion.
In case cargo capacity and cabin space are among your priorities, you can opt for the Honda CR-V. It boasts a large cargo area, giving a total of 75.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. Rear legroom on the base trim of the 2019 Honda CR-V, which is powered by a 2.4L four-cylinder engine, measures at 40.4 inches. Standard features include a five-inch touchscreen, Bluetooth connectivity, and a rearview camera, among others. You can upgrade it with available features such as a collision mitigation brake system, rear parking sensors, lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and many more.
The Bottom Line
As a versatile compact SUV, the 2019 Mazda CX-5 has a lot to offer. It's a family-oriented vehicle that boasts a comfortable and upscale interior, with lots of tech features and an ample cargo area, perfect for your daily runs to the grocery store, vacations, or any other trip that requires a high storage capacity. It also has good performance on different types of surfaces and under different weather conditions, making this small SUV a versatile vehicle suitable for various occasions, both in urban settings and on the open road.
Looking to learn more about the Mazda CX-5 and similar vehicles? Check out these related resources:
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.