Turn an ordinary trip into an adventure.
The 2019 Subaru Outback is a family-friendly vehicle ready to roll seamlessly from the soccer field to the campground. As the final year of the fifth generation, you’ll discover an array of features focused on making life easier. You can choose between the capable 174-hp 2.5L BOXER® engine and a muscular 256-hp 3.6L engine with standard all-wheel drive, smartphone integration, and a suite of driver-assist features.
Here’s what we’ll cover in this 2019 Subaru Outback review.
- Key Specs & Features
- 5 Reasons to Buy
- What You Need to Know
- Similar Vehicles
- The Bottom Line
Key Specs & Features
- The 2019 Subaru Outback is ready to explore with a high 8.7-inch ground clearance and all-wheel drive able to conquer graveled roads and dirt trails.
- Unleash plenty of power with the 2.5L four-cylinder engine and its 174 hp or amp it up with the 3.6L six-cylinder version and 256 hp.
- Driver assist features are standard on every trim including adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, and emergency braking.
- Take the family with you with flexible seating for up to five.
- The 2019 Subaru Outback gets an EPA-estimated 32 mpg highway provided by the 2.5L engine and CVT.1
5 Reasons to Buy
1. Room for Your Life
With its standard roof rails with retractable crossbars, you can secure your kayak, surfboard, skis, or luggage up top. When you need to bring home a boatload of supplies, fold down the back seat and open up a cavernous 73.3 cubic feet of cargo space.
2. Versatility that Works for You
Every 2019 Subaru Outback includes one-touch rear seats that fold away in a snap. When you upgrade over the base model, a power liftgate with height memory takes the heavy lifting out of your daily grocery run. You can also opt for a driver seat with memory, a telescoping steering wheel, and even a kicking 12-speaker surround sound system.
3. Head Off the Trail and Take It With You
The Subaru Symmetrical All-wheel Drive® means you are equipped to tackle rocky trails. Its elevated 8.7 inch ground clearance allows you to roll right over obstacles without hesitation. If you are heading up to the lake with your personal watercraft or ATV, your 2019 Subaru Outback is ready to tow it weighing up to 2,700 pounds when properly equipped.2
4. Technology to Keep You In Touch
Every 2019 Subaru Outback features the smart upgrades you expect in a contemporary ride including hands-free calling and audio streaming with Bluetooth® technology and app access for Android and Apple compatible smartphones. Other available upgrades include automatic climate control, smart high beams, heated seats, and keyless entry and start.
5. Ready for Weather
Built for fun, your 2019 Subaru Outback is prepared for cold weather adventure with available heated front and second-row seats. The headlights turn on when you activate the wipers. Worried about a little mud or snow? Heavy-duty cargo liners and floor mats rinse off in a snap.
What You Need to Know
2019 Subaru Outback Trim Configurations
The 2019 Subaru Outback was offered in six trim levels including the 2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Touring, 3.6i Limited, and 3.6i Touring.
The 2.5i kicks off the show and features:
- The 174 hp 2.5L Boxer engine and continuously variable transmission
- Symmetrical all-wheel drive
- 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels
- Roof rails
- Manual cloth seats
- Android Auto®/Apple CarPlay®
Step up to a wealth of comfort and convenience in the 2.5i Premium with:
- Heated side mirrors and windshield washer deicer
- Heated power-adjustable front seats
- An upgraded eight-inch touchscreen multimedia center
- Fog lamps
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
Enjoy added amenities in the 2.5i Limited such as:
- Driver's seat with memory
- Second-row heated seats
- Leather-trimmed upholstery
- Keyless entry and push button start
- A 12-speaker Harman Kardon® surround sound system
Hit the road in style in the 2.5i Touring with:
- Automatic high beams
- Upscale wood grain and silver interior accents
- Low profile roof rails
- Dark gray 18-inch aluminum alloy wheels
Kick up your weekend adventures in the 3.6i Limited with:
- The Boxer® six-cylinder 3.6L engine produces 256 hp.
- The high-torque CVT includes hill hold, manual shift option, and paddle shifters.
- 18-inch black finish alloy wheels
- Blind spot detection
Settle into a luxury cruise in the 3.6i Touring and its:
- Heated steering wheel
- Power lift gate with height memory
- Automatic wiper-linked headlights
- Unique lower door panels
- Heated seats throughout
2019 Subaru Outback Color Choices
The 2019 Subaru Outback offers shoppers multiple options to dress up the exterior of their vehicle including:
- Crystal White Pearl
- Tungsten Metallic
- Wilderness Green Metallic
- Magnetite Gray Metallic
- Abyss Blue Pearl
- Ice Silver Metallic
- Cinnamon Brown Pearl
- Crystal Black Silica
- Crimson Red Pearl
The 2019 Subaru Forester offers a five-passenger cabin with a spacious cargo area capable of fitting 76.1 cubic feet of sports equipment and shopping bags. Put the pedal down on its 2.5L BOXER engine and power through your day using 181 hp. Available upgrades include an eight-way power front passenger seat and automatic climate control. Driver assist features like lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control are standard. The standard all-wheel drive gives you more confidence behind the wheel on off-road adventures.
The 2019 Honda CR-V offers a 104.7-inch wheelbase, 75.8 cubic feet of cargo space, and a 184-hp 2.4L four-cylinder engine. The 2019 Honda CR-V earns an admirable EPA-estimated 34 mpg highway when powered by the 1.5L turbo engine, CVT, and front-wheel drive.1 You can opt for all-wheel drive and a roof rack to better accommodate your weekend explorations. Driver-assist features appear on the EX trim beginning on the 2017 model.
When you want the fun of an SUV, but need something smaller to fit into your parking spot, the Subaru Crosstrek is a smart option. Pair the 2.0L engine with a six-speed manual or the CVT on the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0i and earn an EPA-estimated 33 mpg highway.1 Look for premium upgrades including a power moonroof, heated front seats, leather trim, and smart driver assist features including steering-responsive headlights. Is there room for your friends? Its functional design provides room to seat five and still has space for 20.8 cubic feet of your gear.
The Bottom Line
Ultimately, if you need a ride that is built to keep pace with your family and their active lifestyle, the 2019 Subaru Outback is ready to check off all the right boxes. You have room for everybody to travel in comfort, space for their backpacks and groceries, and when you put down the pedal, it has the muscle designed to power through your day around town or across country.
Looking to learn more about the 2019 Subaru Outback and other similar vehicles? Check out these related articles.
1Fuel economy figures are based on EPA estimates when vehicles sold as new. Fuel economy may vary for reasons like driving conditions and vehicle history. Unless specified, figures are for vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. See fueleconomy.gov for details.
2Various factors may impact towing capacity, including weight of passengers, cargo, and options/accessories.
Unless otherwise noted, information related to these featured vehicles comes from third-party sources, including manufacturer information. Product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of third-party entities. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by these entities.